Sign in with
Your question

MBO and Graphic card upgrade on low budget

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2011 6:35:34 PM

Hi all!

I'm planning on upgrading my computer because my MBO (Gigabyte P35-DS3R) and graphic card (Gigabyte HD Radeon 5750) died.
As this is just a quick upgrade in need, I'd like to get the best value for money because I'm currently on a low budget but I'm planning in a few months (6 or so) on a full upgrade (i7, new MBO, SSD, SLI but I'd like to keep the graphic card I'd buy now).

Approximate purchase date will be next week.
Budget Range is 450-500$.
System Usage: Gaming - WoW (I need it to be as smooth as possible with graphics as high as possible with current set up), Warcraft 3, MS office, listening to music, watching movies, surfing the internet, reading books, Photoshop)
Country of Origin: Croatia
Parts Preferences: I prefer ASUS or MSI MBos (definitely not gigabyte)

Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: Not now
Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024

This is my current configuration:

Proc: Intel Core2Duo E6750 2,66 Ghz
MBO: Gigabyte P35-DS3R (dead)
Memory: 4 GB DDR2 800 Mhz (1+1GB OCZ Gold, 1+1 GB Crucial)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 320 GB, WD Caviar Black 2 TB
Graphics: Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5750 1 GB DDR5 (dead)
Mouse: Razer Deathadder Novablue
Mouse pad: Razer Goliathus Control
Case: Thermaltake Soprano midi
Monitor: Samsung 19˝LCD Syncmaster 961 BF
Power Supply: Corsair 850W CMPSU-850TXEU

I was looking at:
1. GeForce GTX 470 (Asus or Gainward) and
2. MBO ASUS P5QL/Epu or MSI P43T-C51

Please tell me your advice.

Thanks in advance,

Scipio
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 6:47:54 PM

I would go with the Asus board personally.

WoW is more CPU dependant you may want to OC you CPU to get a higher framerate.

A 470 is way overkill for WoW at 1280x1024. I think even a 460 would even be overkill.

If your 5750 is under warranty I would RMA it.
January 5, 2011 9:50:30 PM

Thanks for the reply.
My 5750 is not under warranty.
The way I'm thinking now, I'd rather go with Asus also because I had the best experience so far with it but was wondering about MSI.
Would this Asus board be good for OC?

I thought about 470 as an investment for the future rig. You suggest I go for 460 or lower? Asus or Gainward?
Related resources
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 10:33:14 PM

Asus or MSI is good. I've used my MSI board for a year and it is a great board. OC's great, but sometimes the brand is not always everything. An example is Asrock. Not a well known name, but their boards are great now. Specially the AMD ones. (the newest ones). Anyway the GTS 450 or another 5750 or even a 5670 would be good enough. I don't think a 460 is needed. I also agree with Sniper. You should get something like a Q6600 and the new GPU as well. That should allow for WoW to run smoothly along with Photoshop.

If your refering to this mobo from MSI: http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&...

Then I'd get that one, but that is just me. I personally just prefer MSI unlike others.
January 6, 2011 7:59:01 AM

Getting a new processor is not an option. I'm just getting MBo and graphics card. So the OC would be the only thing I could do if Wow is so CPU dependent.
January 6, 2011 2:58:24 PM

When you buy your new computer, are you getting a bigger monitor. If you make the jump to 1080p, then you will need at least a 470. If you have 4-500 to spend now, I would recommend the 6950. Through a simple process you can turn it into a 6970 and it will have plenty of power for the next year or two, especially for WOW. If WOW is all you're ever going to play, then a 5770 or 460 would be sufficient.
January 6, 2011 6:57:12 PM

Well, I wasn't planning on buying a new monitor in the future but I do have a plasma TV 50" full HD which I plan to connect over HDMI.
For now I plan to play only WoW and in the future Diablo III (will probably put SLI when it comes out).
!