Laptop battery help

My Ibm thinkpad 770 has a small problem in that the battery does not
seem to want to charge at all!

Now I read that there could be a problem with "easy set up" mode and
that it`s also possible that the CMOS battery may be dead and that`s
the problem?

I know this isn`t an ibm 770 forum but if anyone could enlighten me to
"the ways of the laptop" (!) I`d be most grateful! (my 1st laptop)

I can find my way aroung a desktop with minimal trouble so I`m sure
it`s just a case of needing a little educating and a point in the
right direction!!!

Many thanks in advance to all you kind souls!!!
13 answers Last reply
More about laptop battery help

    spendog <spendog1978@yahoo.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote:
    : My Ibm thinkpad 770 has a small problem in that the battery does not
    : seem to want to charge at all!

    You mean the main laptop battery? How old is the laptop? Batteries
    don't last forever - their life varies depending on how you use them.
    My Toshiba Satellite's battery is almost junk after less than two
    years use (I did not take care of it very well). It used to last two
    hours, now only 20 minutes. I usually use the laptop plugged in and
    that probably caused the early death of my battery.

    If the battery isn't charging now at all and recently held full
    charge, there could be something wrong with the charger or the battery
    terminals may need to be cleaned (pencil eraser). Of course, if a new
    battery works in the charger, you know the charger is working fine.

    If your laptop is pretty new, the battery may be defective and still
    under warranty. If it's not under warranty, the battery may just be
    fried. Get a new battery. Be prepared: they aren't cheap.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad is the best source for thinkpad info, hints and tips...

    770 batteries typically last about 2 yrs.

    TJ

    spendog wrote:

    > My Ibm thinkpad 770 has a small problem in that the battery does not
    > seem to want to charge at all!
    >
    > Now I read that there could be a problem with "easy set up" mode and
    > that it`s also possible that the CMOS battery may be dead and that`s
    > the problem?
    >
    > I know this isn`t an ibm 770 forum but if anyone could enlighten me to
    > "the ways of the laptop" (!) I`d be most grateful! (my 1st laptop)
    >
    > I can find my way aroung a desktop with minimal trouble so I`m sure
    > it`s just a case of needing a little educating and a point in the
    > right direction!!!
    >
    > Many thanks in advance to all you kind souls!!!

    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

    Excuse my ignorance but how do I get to ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad?

    Thanks capt. !

    Electrical Fan Club wrote:
    > On no account must any attempt be made to charge such a battery. An
    > overdischarged battery develops internal shorts caused by copper
    coming out
    > of the chemistry. Charging such a battery can cause it to rupture.
    It is
    > not possible to extinguish the fire of a ruptured battery because it
    > generates its own oxygen.

    Ian, I beg to differ. I have taken apart several types of battery packs
    (NiCd and Li-Ion). However, my experience has been that NiCd fails with
    zero or negative voltage, and internal short, BUT Li-Ion on the other
    hand has zero voltage, but with high-impedance/open circuit. In TP600
    packs, the batteries are Li-Ion type 18650, with a circuit breaker just
    under the positive terminal that some hacker has been able to reset
    through the little vent hole on top. I've never tried it as I don't
    want to mess around with Lithium.

    "spendog" <spendog1978@yahoo.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > My Ibm thinkpad 770 has a small problem in that the battery does not
    > seem to want to charge at all!
    >
    > Now I read that there could be a problem with "easy set up" mode and
    > that it`s also possible that the CMOS battery may be dead and that`s
    > the problem?
    >
    > I know this isn`t an ibm 770 forum but if anyone could enlighten me to
    > "the ways of the laptop" (!) I`d be most grateful! (my 1st laptop)
    >
    > I can find my way aroung a desktop with minimal trouble so I`m sure
    > it`s just a case of needing a little educating and a point in the
    > right direction!!!
    >
    > Many thanks in advance to all you kind souls!!!

    Is the battery a Lithium-Ion? If so, it has been over discharged. A
    frequent cause of this is leaving a battery fitted to an otherwise unused
    machine for too long.

    "cmdrdata" <cmdrdata@mail.com> wrote in message

    > Electrical Fan Club wrote:
    > > On no account must any attempt be made to charge such a battery. An
    > > overdischarged battery develops internal shorts caused by copper
    > coming out
    > > of the chemistry. Charging such a battery can cause it to rupture.
    > It is
    > > not possible to extinguish the fire of a ruptured battery because it
    > > generates its own oxygen.
    >
    > Ian, I beg to differ. I have taken apart several types of battery packs
    > (NiCd and Li-Ion). However, my experience has been that NiCd fails with
    > zero or negative voltage, and internal short, BUT Li-Ion on the other
    > hand has zero voltage, but with high-impedance/open circuit. In TP600
    > packs, the batteries are Li-Ion type 18650, with a circuit breaker just
    > under the positive terminal that some hacker has been able to reset
    > through the little vent hole on top. I've never tried it as I don't
    > want to mess around with Lithium.

    Most of the Li-ion batteries I have come across have a PTC element built
    into them to limit discharge current. Unfortunately they only limit the
    current outside of the battery, not internal shorts. As the voltage drops
    below 3.0 volts (2.6 volts for some formulations), the copper in the
    chemistry is deposited everywhere inside the cells. If thick enough, it can
    give rise to an internal discharge sufficiently high to cause rupturing of
    the cell, once the cell is charged.

    The problem is that the manufacturers will not part with information such as
    this, and as a result, many a person has attempted to recover overdischarged
    batteries, through ignorance of what is actually happening. Many get away
    with it, but not all. There is a correct procedure to be followed, not to
    ensure the greatest chance of success, but to ensure that any failure causes
    the minimum damage. If anyone is interested, I'll post the procedure, but I
    have to stress, that I do not recommend recovering such a battery. Throw it
    away* - it's safer.

    Ian.

    *In the appropriate recycling facility of course.

    Electrical Fan Club wrote:
    snip
    > The problem is that the manufacturers will not part with information such as
    > this, and as a result, many a person has attempted to recover overdischarged
    > batteries, through ignorance of what is actually happening. Many get away
    > with it, but not all. There is a correct procedure to be followed, not to
    > ensure the greatest chance of success, but to ensure that any failure causes
    > the minimum damage. If anyone is interested, I'll post the procedure,

    Post the procedure.
    mike

    but I
    > have to stress, that I do not recommend recovering such a battery. Throw it
    > away* - it's safer.
    >
    > Ian.
    >
    > *In the appropriate recycling facility of course.

    ..
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    Ok, so it couldn`t be the CMOS battery then? I read somewhere that a
    flat CMOS battery can stop your actual battery from charging? Or did
    I read that wrong?

    And yeah, how do you get to that ibm.ibmnet bloody thing?!!!

    Well, how did you get here? Whatever you're using(browser/newsgroup reader..
    Netscape, Outlook Express) to get to THIS .ng, 'subscribe' to ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad

    spendog wrote:

    > Excuse my ignorance but how do I get to ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad?
    >
    > Thanks capt. !

    I am BillGatus of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assim
    [General Protection Fault]

    "mike" <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Electrical Fan Club wrote:
    > snip
    > > The problem is that the manufacturers will not part with information
    such as
    > > this, and as a result, many a person has attempted to recover
    overdischarged
    > > batteries, through ignorance of what is actually happening. Many get
    away
    > > with it, but not all. There is a correct procedure to be followed, not
    > > ensure the greatest chance of success, but to ensure that any failure
    causes
    > > the minimum damage. If anyone is interested, I'll post the procedure,
    >
    > Post the procedure.
    > mike

    The following procedure for recovering overdischarged Li-ion batteries is
    not recommended either by myself or the battery manufacturers.

    The correct procedure for an over-discharged Li-ion battery is to dispose of
    it in the correct manner. I accept no responsibility for any undesired
    results from following this procedure. I provide the information, only
    because in its absence, attempts at recovery are likely to be made in less
    than safe conditions.

    [BEGIN]

    WARNING: Lithium-ion batteries contain an electrolyte that is highly
    inflammable. Lithium-ion batteries can under conditions of over-charging
    also contain Lithium metal that will spontaneously ignite on contact with
    oxygen or air. Lithium-ion batteries can under these same adverse
    conditions generate internal oxygen gas. Thus over charging will eventually
    result in explosive rupturing of the case. The resultant fire is impossible
    to extinguish. Fire fighting activity should be limited to preventing any
    flammable material in the flame path from burning.

    NOTE: Lithium Polymer (more correctly Lithium-ion-Polymer) batteries have
    dispensed with the flammable solvent for the electrolyte, and although any
    fire will be smaller, the risk has not been eliminated.

    This procedure can only be applied if the battery has been overdischarged
    for a few days at most. If the time period of overdisharge is not known or
    in doubt, DISPOSE OF THE BATTERY.

    Otherwise:

    1). Find a fire proof location where the battery can be charged, that is as
    at least 2 metres from any combustible material. Note that it may be
    necessary to charge the battery in its parent device. Note: that any
    rupture point will produce an oxygen fuelled jet of flame several feet long.

    2). While monitoring the individual cell's terminal voltage, charge the
    battery in the location mentioned in para 1, at 0.1 CmA (e.g. charge a 1 Ah
    battery at 0.1 A), while monitoring the terminal voltage. Terminate the
    charge when the terminal voltage of any cell is 3.1 volts. Wait 15 minutes
    and then note the cell voltages.

    3). Leave the battery in this location for 24 hours. If the battery is
    still in one piece at the end of this period, compare the cell voltages with
    those noted in para 2. If any cell voltage is significantly lower than the
    previously noted value (by 0.2 volts), then dispose of the battery.

    4). The battery should now be charged using its normal charger in the
    location referred to in para 1. Note that if this parent device is
    something expensive, there is a risk that a battery rupture will destroy
    that device.

    5). When the charger indicates the termination of the constant current part
    of the cycle, terminate the charge. DO NOT wait the extra hour for the
    constant voltage part of the cycle to complete. Leave the battery in the
    fire proof location for 24 hours. Bear in mind, that should you wish to
    remove the battery from the expensive charging device, that there is a risk
    of rupture while handling it.

    6). If the battery is still intact, it may be discharged and recharged
    normally, and then returned to service. The battery must be indelibly
    marked that it has been subject to this procedure. This procedure must
    NEVER be carried out again on the same battery.

    It may be noted that the battery indicator may show a fully charged battery
    as being only 75-80% charged (dependant on the accuracy and resolution of
    the indicator), but almost full capacity should be available. This is a
    quirk of the chemistry. The useful life of the battery will be shortened
    however.

    This information has been compiled from many sources, none of whom wish to
    be credited with any endorsement.

    [END]

    I use three different UseNet servers, and non of them carry this
    group.......

    Dan

    spendog wrote:

    > And yeah, how do you get to that ibm.ibmnet bloody thing?!!!

    Spendog...

    Tell us, how did you get to THIS newsgroup? Was it installed from the factory?

    Angry American wrote:

    > I use three different UseNet servers, and non of them carry this
    > group.......
    >
    > Dan

    Well then, I guess you'll just have to do with the knowledge here.

    > Capt. 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:
    > > ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad is the best source for thinkpad info, hints and
    > > tips...
    > >
    > > 770 batteries typically last about 2 yrs.
    > >
    > > TJ

    I am BillGatus of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assim
    [General Protection Fault]

Laptops Laptop Battery