Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing a motherboard for new build

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2011 6:41:17 PM

Hello,

I am in the process of building another computer. At the moment I will probably be getting a Phenom II 955, and either a 5770 or a 6850.

The two motherboards I am having trouble choosing between are these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|13-131-647^13-131-647-TS%2C13-128-445^13-128-445-TS

Any opinions are welcome; I am also open to any other suggestions for motherboards.

Thanks in advance for any help!

a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2011 7:20:23 PM

One's ATX, other micro ATX, only real difference. If this is a small form factor PC, then go micro atx, if not, ATX.

Also, neither can actually run xfire since second PCIE 2.0 lanes are x4 on both.
m
l
January 5, 2011 7:29:23 PM

I'm not too concerned about xfire, I think a single 6850 will be good enough.

I forgot to mention that it is a budget gaming computer, and will be using minimal overclocking if any.

Here is a list of what I am thinking about ordering:

Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

RAM: 4GB GSkill DDR3 1600 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

Graphics Card: Haven't look at any specific brands yet, but a 6850 seems to be the best bang for my buck at the moment, and should be able to max out all the games I will play.

PSU: Already have an extra OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w sitting in my closet

Motherboard: Either the Gigabyte 880g mATX or Asus 870 ATX linked in first post

HDD: WD Caviar Black 640gb SATA 6.0gb/s (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

As for the case, I'll probably get a HAF 922 unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Edit: On the topic of the motherboard, the real decision I am having trouble making is if I should get 880G but have a mATX motherboard or get an 870 ATX mobo.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2011 7:38:49 PM

There's no real world diff btwn the two chipsets so doesn't matter. Just pick form factor you'd like.

Should also swap HD to a spinpoint F3 1tb.

GPU wise, any major brand with at least a 3 year warranty will work. Top ones are XFX, Asus, Sapphire and GA.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2011 7:43:36 PM

i got to liking the gigabyte boards. they seem to run cooler than the others. the gig also has on-board video. may come in handy sometime.
m
l
January 5, 2011 7:59:54 PM

I prefer ATX generally, but I guess it doesn't really matter and the Gigabyte would make a bit more sense since it has the onboard graphics as backup in case something happens to my 6850.

Thanks for pointing out the spinpoint, I just kind of assumed that since the WD was SATA 3 it would be slightly faster but definitely does not seem to be the case. I'll possibly just invest in a SATA 3 SSD in the future to actually take advantage of the new technology, but right now a ssd isn't in my budget.

Thanks again for all the help.
m
l
January 17, 2011 1:52:01 PM

Sorry to hijack a thread for myself, but I figured I was making a similar request and there would be no point in creating a new thread.

I too am looking for a mobo to use an AMD Phemon II X4 955 (runs at 125W), however it's a replacement for an Asus M3A which is getting a bit outdated. I also have 4GB of DDR2 RAM, so I wanted to keep hold of and re-use that in the new mobo if possible.

As far as I can see, it's not really worth my money or time re-buying all that RAM in DDR3, but the most modern, reasonably-priced mobo's all seem to have DDR3 and no support for DDR2. So in theory I could get an old mobo that would support my needs, but I can't help but feel in terms of future-proofing I'm shooting myself in the foot getting something that will only just cover my needs.

Is there a good answer to this? Any modern mobo's or ones that are reasonably well future-proofed, run DDR2 RAM, and are at a reasonable price? I'm from the UK BTW, just so you don't throw US sites at me, since the pricing can differ between models then.

Sorry if I'm asking an unreasonable question, I'm not an expert on motherboards (otherwise I wouldn't be asking obviously) :p .
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2011 8:42:33 PM

OllyTrolly said:
Sorry to hijack a thread for myself, but I figured I was making a similar request and there would be no point in creating a new thread.

I too am looking for a mobo to use an AMD Phemon II X4 955 (runs at 125W), however it's a replacement for an Asus M3A which is getting a bit outdated. I also have 4GB of DDR2 RAM, so I wanted to keep hold of and re-use that in the new mobo if possible.

As far as I can see, it's not really worth my money or time re-buying all that RAM in DDR3, but the most modern, reasonably-priced mobo's all seem to have DDR3 and no support for DDR2. So in theory I could get an old mobo that would support my needs, but I can't help but feel in terms of future-proofing I'm shooting myself in the foot getting something that will only just cover my needs.

Is there a good answer to this? Any modern mobo's or ones that are reasonably well future-proofed, run DDR2 RAM, and are at a reasonable price? I'm from the UK BTW, just so you don't throw US sites at me, since the pricing can differ between models then.

Sorry if I'm asking an unreasonable question, I'm not an expert on motherboards (otherwise I wouldn't be asking obviously) :p .

try this.......... i have one.. works great

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!