Sporadic boot and memory errors

gmdillon

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I've recently started experiencing a whole array of errors with my system and I'm not sure what's going on. My computer runs fine when I'm doing anything memory-intensive (word processing, browsing online, etc), but I mainly experience errors when I'm playing some system intensive video games (Skyrim to be specific). Here are the symptoms:

-> When I first turn my computer on, it stays on the mobo logo splash screen anywhere from one to five minutes before actually continuing to boot up. Sometimes the mobo LED reads FF (which is normal), occasionally it will read CF (not sure what this means, I haven't found a site yet to explain my mobo's codes).
-> About every other time I play that game, the game will randomly freeze. I ctrl+alt+del and it stays frozen... sometimes it bluescreens at this point, other times I just get the "loading security options" indefinitely until I have to turn the computer off.
-> Upon turning my computer BACK on, it stays on the mobo splash logo thing for a couple minutes, and sometimes I get "A disk read error has occured press ctrl+alt+del", or just recently I got "Disk boot failure... insert system disc..." I turn the computer off again, press and hold the power button three times to clear the CMOS, and then boot up again. It will boot normally again (with the lag at the mobo screen still) and won't get the error messages.

I have no idea why my memory seems to be sucked up so quickly by this game, and only some of the time. My system is more than capable of handling it. Does anyone know why these things might be happening?

DFI LANPARTY UT X48-T2R LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core
Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
PNY VCGGTX560TXPB-OC2-S GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model

grvulture

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
OMG, today all day I am experiencing exactly the same thing! Most awkward is that I used to play Skyrim without any problems for about a month now until today! I didn't do anything today, this happens now without any obvious reason and out of the blue.

My M/B, RAM, video card are brand new, bought a month ago, and everything was working fine. Still is, until I try to play Skyrim. All day same sh*t.

Did you solve this somehow?
Would be really grateful for any suggestions as to what to do, or what is going on.

Thanks.

gmdillon

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

I didn't do anything and somehow it worked itself out. I got a special 4gb launcher for the game which allows the game to use up to 4gb of ram instead of 2gb, which should prevent some crashes.
I didn't do anything at all but my skyrim doesnt crash anymore, i don't get boot errors anymore either. I guess the game was chewing up a lot of memory and causing problems? idk

grvulture

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
OK, it seems it wasn't Skyrim, it was my harddisk. Since my last post things got worse, to a point where my harddisk is reported as "S.M.A.R.T. bad, backup and replace" by the BIOS. Seems the disk is dying out, I can't work on anything in Windows anymore, and even Safe mode is crashing.
Tomorrow I'm buying a new disk, and have to re-setup everything *sigh* what a pain....

Thank you for replying though, much appreciated!

gmdillon

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

Yep, actually my hard drive is dying also. Same problem. Got a new one from newegg on the way

gmdillon

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I replaced my hard drive but now i'm not sure if that was the original problem.
I got some cpu temp monitoring software and realized that my CPU was running really hot especially under heavy load. my bios was set to shut off at 85C, which is what was causing random shut downs.
I got a new heatsink/fan for my CPU and I have yet to see it go over 50C now