Sign in with
Your question

Is my CPU still good?

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2011 7:02:08 PM

My computer won't boot. Here's story.

I built a new AMD system and installed Win 7. All went and ran well. I then noticed that the stock CPU fan was too noisy, so I replaced it with a new HSF. In the process of doing so, two things happened (see below), and now the system won't boot, and I don't know if the CPU is till good. So please help!

What happened when replacing the HSF:
1. I accidentally bent a few pins on the CPU. I then straightened them using an anti-static tweezer.
2. In the rush to find out if my CPU is still working, I turned the power on without the HSF. It lasted under 20 seconds, but I noticed that the CPU is extremely hot when I touched it.

What tests I have done so far:
1. CPU installed, no memory installed: system makes three long beeps upon powering up. -- Is this an indication that the CPU is still good?
2. CPU installed, 1, or 2 or 3 or 4 memory sticks installed: system won't produce any sound, and won't boot either.
3. CPU not installed, Memory installed: no sound.

Other facts:
1. Using on-board video.
2. The 4 LED lights for CPU Phases are all lit fine.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

More about : cpu good

January 5, 2011 7:05:01 PM

You have to put the heatsink back on it other wise it will get extremely hot and shut it self down
m
l
January 5, 2011 7:09:38 PM

I did. All the tests were done with the heat sink on. It only ran without the HSF for under 20 seconds.
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2011 7:14:27 PM

Sounds dead to me, between bent pins and extreme heat....
m
l
January 5, 2011 7:26:57 PM

banthracis said:
Look in the mobo manual to see what the beep codes mean.

Also go through the won't boot sticky.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

And yes, it is entirely possible to fry a CPU in 20 secs of operation w/o a HSF. Doesn't mean you did though.

I went through the sticky before posting here :-).

The mobo (MSI 785Gm-E51) manual doesn't say anything about the beep code. I searched online, and found that the three long beeps usually mean some memory issue, which is exactly as-expected in my case because it only happened when no memory was installed.

I read somewhere on this site (see link below) that if long beeps for memory issues can be heard, it means the CPU is still good -- i.e. it's still working to look for the RAM! If this is true, then what could be my problem?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259219-28-fried

m
l
January 5, 2011 7:33:44 PM

Do you have other sticks of compatible ram that you could throw in there?
m
l
January 5, 2011 7:36:53 PM

zooted said:
Do you have other sticks of compatible ram that you could throw in there?

Yes, tried two other sticks of new ram to no avail ...
m
l
January 5, 2011 7:40:11 PM

Quote:
get a magnifying glass and check for motherboard damage like blown capacitors or similar type damage.
sounds like cpu is dead now or the motherboard.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It's probably the easiest to just get a new cpu and see what happens. I am kinda reluctant to do so because according to the link below, the fact that the system still makes long beeps means the CPU and mobo are both working --

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259219-28-fried

What do you think? Any other tests that I can do?
m
l
January 5, 2011 7:40:37 PM

Quote:
get a magnifying glass and check for motherboard damage like blown capacitors or similar type damage.
sounds like cpu is dead now or the motherboard.

Exactly what I was thinking^
m
l
January 5, 2011 8:04:10 PM

So it's down to Mobo, CPU or much less likely, bad PSU.

Bad wiring is also a possibility. Try bread boarding the build.

As for the whole BIOS thing, technically as long as the CPU can exit reset mode you can get a beep code.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about AMD architecture to tell you if their current CPU's can exit reset mode allowing beep codes, but be incapable of executing higher level instructions.
m
l
August 28, 2011 1:57:56 AM

One thing you may want to try: do a complete flush on the cmos. Pull the battery, go thru the whole procedure, reset everything.
m
l
!