I need help fixing a windows XP home error

Gyroc

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
My friend recently did a system restore. Every time they boot their computer it gets just before the user logon screen and two errors pop up then it reboots. I am trying to fix this problem for them but am having some trouble maybe someone here can help me I would be willing to help you out with any networking questions that you may have.

Error 1. winlogon.exe failed to start b/c it ciould not find ole32.dll
Error 2. lsass.exe says not enough system resources to run the API (this error pops up only for a moment then the system reboots so the excat wording might be a little bit off sorry)

They have an HP Pavilion 805n.
They are running Windows XP Home. (and they no longer have their CD or CD key)

The first step I took was to try and boot to safe mode to see if that worked. When trying to boot to safe mode it loaded all of the safe mode dlls and gave me the same two errors. Then I tried to use the F10 hp recovery which did nothing at all. I then loaded the BIOS and reset it to defaults which did nothing, (I didnt think it would fix the error I just did it).
I then went back into the BIOS and started disabling some ports that they do not use, (trying to free up some system resources) I disabled the on board sound, LAN, and parallel ports. I then tried to boot to safe mode and normally again both of which still had the same listed errors.

I also tried to load up a copy of ERD Commander 2005 to see if I could at least pull off their pictures and what not just in case we needed to reformat but I was unable to boot to it (this I found out to be my cd because I tested it on my computer and I did not burn it correctly)

P.S. I would like to note that I am somewhat computer savvy and would like to thank you for taking your time to read and or help me with their problem.

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Hastibe,
HP is kind of known for just loading the disk on a partition and not giving you a real xp disk. They will probably have to download a repair disk from somewhere else and make an .iso or similar copy of the disk on cd on another computer.

Otherwise here is a link to the ole32.dll http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ole32

The lsass.exe problem is a little trickier as this could a be a sign of a virus. http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/lsass.exe.html this should explain more and what can be done to fix it.

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I've had 2 hp's over the past 10 years and they both came with a preloaded os on a partition of the c drive (my wifes was the same and also an hp/compaq). I ended up ordering a copy of the xp recovery cd from their tech support but I don't know that they sell them any more. You can check ebay or other places though too... if nothing I might be able to save a a copy of the xp recovery cd in .iso format somewhere for people to burn themselves if i can find the disk again.

Gyroc

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Yeah its terrible I plugged their hard drive into my PC which I built and set it as a slave so that I could run Virus Scans on it and I found roughly 160 viruses thirty of which were located in the system restore files (I have an MBAM log) I did this because I was originally going to clear room on the Hard Drive because when I googled the lsass.exe problem one of the issues was that the hard drive could be full. Thank you for the link to ole32.dll they have windows XP home I have the sticker with their CD key im pretty sure that on the sticker there is information as to what version of windows XP I need (not just home pro ect..) I mean the build number do I need to get the exact build to do a repair on their system?

Also I never tried a disk just their recovery options I can do a windows repair from an XP Disc I have done it in the past.

Gyroc

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Thank you those sites are helpful and I have a windows disk that I might be able to use I just didnt want to put it in because its not the same build as theirs