Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

470 SOC SLI vs 6870 Crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 6, 2010 2:32:21 AM

Phenom IIx4 @ 3.8Ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Asus Formula IV MOBO
Corsair 850W Silver PSU

Whatd'ya think for best minimum frame rates and scalability? I have one 470 SOC OC'ed now to 875Mhz Core Clock @ 1900 Mhz Memory clock. I don't care about heat or the electric bill. Looking for raw performance.
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2010 2:50:39 AM

The 470s would be faster, especially if the second card OCes like the first (which seems reasonable). At those speeds, I think you are well into GTX 480 territory (per card).
m
0
l
November 6, 2010 2:52:59 AM

When I get home I'm going to post some of my various benchmarks.. Maybe it will help you gauge.. I'm really torn.. I've looked at benchmarks for both and I just can't make up my mind.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2010 2:59:57 AM

You can't go SLI with that board, unless you have the Hdyra Extreme version ?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2010 3:08:26 AM

Yikes, good catch notty.
m
0
l
November 6, 2010 3:54:36 AM

notty22 said:
You can't go SLI with that board, unless you have the Hdyra Extreme version ?


Really? Why can't I? It has the SLI connectors on the side of it..

This is the one I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

"The GV-N470SO-13I features overclocked 700MHz Core Clock (standard 607MHz) and Gigabyte’s WINDFORCE 3X, 14 phase PWM design, OC Guru graphic card smart tuner and voltage read point. Coupled with GTX 470’s full Microsoft DirectX 11 support and NVIDIA PhysX, CUDA, SLI and 3D Vision technologies, the GV-N470SO-13I enables immersive, realistic visuals and explosive HD gaming performance so you can dominate the competition."
m
0
l
November 6, 2010 4:28:04 AM

Here are some benchmarks..

Unigine





3DMark Vantage Scores - Tested on "Performance" setting.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2010 6:05:27 AM

You exacting some great performance from your gtx 470. Very nice overclock.
SLI support also extends to the motherboard. A m/b has to be SLI certified.
The company pays a fee and a bios flag is added, and your board comes with the sli bridge.
Nvidia or AMD does not support SLI with AMD chipsets.
Older AMD boards used a Nvidia chipset ,current Intel boards support both crossfire and SLI, but every board is different. Its part of feature sets / pricing point / options.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2010 7:23:08 AM

Wait for the 69XX series to launch.. A single 6970 may outperform your overclocked GTX 470 thereby making the upgrade viable.. Then you can use the Crossfire ability of your motherboard and put one more card for further performance improvement..
m
0
l
November 6, 2010 12:52:06 PM

notty22 said:
You exacting some great performance from your gtx 470. Very nice overclock.
SLI support also extends to the motherboard. A m/b has to be SLI certified.
The company pays a fee and a bios flag is added, and your board comes with the sli bridge.
Nvidia or AMD does not support SLI with AMD chipsets.
Older AMD boards used a Nvidia chipset ,current Intel boards support both crossfire and SLI, but every board is different. Its part of feature sets / pricing point / options.


Damn! Didn't know that. Figured if it supported crossfire, then it also supported SLI. That's a game changer right thurrr..

Emperus said:
Wait for the 69XX series to launch.. A single 6970 may outperform your overclocked GTX 470 thereby making the upgrade viable.. Then you can use the Crossfire ability of your motherboard and put one more card for further performance improvement..


That was the plan from the very beginning.. Either 1 6970 or 2 6950's.. This was in the case that the release date was pushed back a month or two. Sorry, didn't specify that in the first post.
m
0
l
!