Vengeance, RipJaws, other relatively expensive memory

yonyz

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
So, I'm about to upgrade my memory to DDR3 (my mobo supports it, don't worry. :D) and I wonder if it's worth spending the extra money (actually, twice the price of the "normal" sticks) on models of one of those series' of memory like Vengeance, RipJaws and Team Xtreme.

I am going to overclock the CPU, but not the memory. It's for gaming, and I'll be buying 8GB of memory (2x4GB).

jemm

Distinguished
I think it worths the upgrade since ram is so cheap nowdays. You won´t regret spending the extra money. So go for it, but make sure to get a ram kit that is supported by your motherboard and cpu requirements.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006

If you're overclocking then you'll want better spec memory that is stable and functions with higher OCs. If you weren't overclocking then I would say not to focus on dumping cash towards a possible 0 to 3% noticeable overall speed increase and instead put the money towards your GPU, CPU, more RAM or an SSD.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-speed-tests,1807-15.html

yonyz

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009

So if I OC the CPU, not the memory, I need better (more stable) memory?

IH8U, I'm not from the US and NEWEGG do not ship outside of it.

jemm, my CPU is a Q6600 and my motherboard is a GA-P35C-DS3R (yes, P35 chipset, but with 2 DDR3 slots in addition to the 4 DDR2 slots).
What 8GB kit would you recommend, guys?