Should I hold out??

richison

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Recently I picked up a i5-760 for ~$200, but haven't purchased my MB yet. Should I wait for the new i5's and 1155 boards to come out? I can probably return my i5-760 to Newegg since it's unopened. The new i5's look to be around $200 so a wash there. Obviously MB will be more money.

Is it worth it? Will I see a significant performance difference? (Using this for my gaming rig)
If so, which i5 should I get? 2000? 2500?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Solution
Yes, you should wait. It looks like there's going to be a 20-30% performance difference with Sandy Bridge. In addition, the current price scheme should push the i5-760 down in price significantly. Either way, you're getting more performance for the price.

We can't really say which i5-xxxx to get, as there haven't been any benchmarks using all the actual chips being released yet.
Yes, you should wait. It looks like there's going to be a 20-30% performance difference with Sandy Bridge. In addition, the current price scheme should push the i5-760 down in price significantly. Either way, you're getting more performance for the price.

We can't really say which i5-xxxx to get, as there haven't been any benchmarks using all the actual chips being released yet.

Solution