Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build confusion. Looking for help.

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2011 7:58:29 PM

Hello everyone. I am looking to build my father a gaming machine. Mainly for titles such as WOW, SWKOTOR and Black Ops. He is retiring from the police department after 34 years. He has always wanted to build a system so I am going to buy all the parts to surprise him and then we can assemble it together. I figure it's the least I can do for the sacrifices he has made for me over the years and to show how blessed I am to have him retire in perfect health.

I was not going to post because I was pretty up on this stuff a few years ago before making a career change into telecom. After spending weeks reading about all of the new equipment I am honestly baffled and my brain hurts. So I am here asking for help in piecing this together.

To start I am mainly looking for help with PSU, Video card, CPU and MOBO. I am on a bit of a budget that can be adjusted a little but let's start with $700 give or take. I am looking for something that will give him a great system for the above titles but still has many upgrade options for him in the future.

1) CPU - I am leaning towards AMD over Intel. Not because I prefer one or the other but I may be able to get more bang for my buck.

2) PSU - I have read that Corsair and Seasonic are my best bets here. I am very confused on if a 750W will be enough and I am confused on ball bearing vs. thermal control

3) Mobo - In comparing these I am totally baffled now. I have been looking at these two but wonder if I am missing many other good options. GA-870A-UD3 / M4A89TD PRO/USB3

4) Video Card - Really debating the HD6850. Great reviews but if is beefy enough for a few years?

Any help you all can provide would be of great value. I have been reading these forums for a long time and there are many knowledgable people in this community.

More about : build confusion

Best solution

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 5, 2011 8:13:48 PM

Here's a full build:

CPU: X4 955 ($145)
Mobo: ASRock 870 Extreme3 (Crossfire) ($90ish) or ASRock 770 Extreme3 (no Crossfire) ($75ish)
RAM: Any 2x2 GB kit of DDR3 1600 mhz CAS Latency 9 ($50ish) (or CL 7, probably $70, if you're overclocking)
HDD: Samsung Spinpiont F3 1 TB ($70)
GPU: HD 6850. Turn it into a 6870 with a BIOS flash (google the instructions). This will be fine for the games he's playing, and if it's not, you could opt to Crossfire later.
PSU: If you're not Crossfiring, a 550W from Antec, Corsair, SeaSonic, or Silverstone (the highest quality brands) (likely around $60). If you want to Crossfire, pick up a 750W from the same companies or XFX (around $100).
Case: Rosewill Destroyer, Rosewill Challenger, HAF 912, Antec 300 Illusion, Coolermaster 690, Antec 900 (or 902), HAF 922 or anything from Lian Li. Or really any ATX mid- or full- tower with more than a couple fans.
January 5, 2011 9:30:36 PM

MadAdmiral said:
Here's a full build:

CPU: X4 955 ($145)
Mobo: ASRock 870 Extreme3 (Crossfire) ($90ish) or ASRock 770 Extreme3 (no Crossfire) ($75ish)
RAM: Any 2x2 GB kit of DDR3 1600 mhz CAS Latency 9 ($50ish) (or CL 7, probably $70, if you're overclocking)
HDD: Samsung Spinpiont F3 1 TB ($70)
GPU: HD 6850. Turn it into a 6870 with a BIOS flash (google the instructions). This will be fine for the games he's playing, and if it's not, you could opt to Crossfire later.
PSU: If you're not Crossfiring, a 550W from Antec, Corsair, SeaSonic, or Silverstone (the highest quality brands) (likely around $60). If you want to Crossfire, pick up a 750W from the same companies or XFX (around $100).
Case: Rosewill Destroyer, Rosewill Challenger, HAF 912, Antec 300 Illusion, Coolermaster 690, Antec 900 (or 902), HAF 922 or anything from Lian Li. Or really any ATX mid- or full- tower with more than a couple fans.

Thank you very much for the reply. I will look into these suggestions now. I would think giving him more options (crossfire) for the future would be best.
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2011 9:50:34 PM

Is there a specific brand for the 6850 I should look into? All seem to be about $179
The GV-R685D5-1GD has two fans while many of the others have one.
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 6, 2011 12:07:49 AM

Not really. Pretty much all of the brands are the same, so there isn't a huge difference. I'd either get one of the cheaper brands or one with the best warranty.
m
l
January 6, 2011 2:47:33 AM

Best answer selected by MileHigh Hitman.
m
l
January 6, 2011 2:48:12 AM

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.
m
l
!