Dual Audio Issue - GTX 460

Az17

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Ok, I have a bit of a strange issue. I recently upgraded my graphics card to a EVGA GTX 460 and have been loving the performance thus far. Now I also have a SB Titanium sound card installed on my computer that I am also very happy with. The issue is that for one reason or another my audio has been taken over by the HDMI cable in the GTX 460. I know this because when I turn off the HDTV I'm connected to, the audio suddenly improves to a great degree. My first thought was that the Win 7 audio setting were messed up but everything seemed to check out there. I then was checking the Nvidia display concole for any audio settings but didn't see any. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Sound Device: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - (Connected via 3.5mm audio cable)

Graphics: EVGA GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB (01G-P3-1373-AR) - (Connected via HDMI)

open1226

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
ah. i think if you can access or turn on your sound card options, and check for playback devices, and make your GOOD speaker as defualt, it might work. I have an onboard realtek card and the hdmi i have (Im running GTX 460too) happpend like yours but i just went to the bottom right corner and right clicked the speaker icon, clicked on playback devices and changed the defualt sound. i hope im not too confusing:D i am new :)

Az17

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Per your suggestion, I looked at the speaker speaker settings which just brought me to the audio device selection menu. Now, this made me wonder if I could go into device manager and just shut off the audio options. The thing is that there now appears to be 4x entries for "Nvidia High Definition Audio" and I'm not sure if shutting all of them down would be a good idea. I may have to just go for it. I'll update the thread when done.

On a side note, I was looking at a thread on Nvidias forums about a similar issue. The techs there seemed to think that it could all be caused not by the computer but by how the HDTV is configured to handle an HDMI connection. After checking my TV settings for a while I assumed that I'm not able to change in depth configurations like that.

Thank you open1226 for your help on the matter!

P.S. I was unaware that highlighting text and then right-clicking it would show spell check suggestions. I love Win 7 even more now!

Az17

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Close but no cigar. Shutting the "Nvidia High Definition Audio" devices didn't seem to work at all. When I shut off my HDTV the sound is amplified and seem much clearer. After my HDTV starts the sound quiets down and the bass is distorted slightly like it's heavier then the settings show. I've looked into the Creative Audio Console and can tell from changing options around that it does an impact on performance but not even close to the boost I experience from shutting down the TV. I'm flabbergasted but I will continue tinkering. The sound performance is still great but I'd like my sound cards full "untainted" potential if possible.

Speaker System: Logitech Z-2300 200 watt RMS 2.1 (didn't want to dish out $400 for the 5.1s)

open1226

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
no problem! i hope i helped :D ill look more closely and if i do find anything, ill let ya know :) did you try using DVI ports? since DVI has no audio, the default sounds might return back to your speakers anyways, cheers!

EDIT : i have windows vista.. :( i am bulding a new rig so i might as well wait :p oh and im running firefox and it has speel check too and bada** personas hehe
Check this link : http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=52765 it might help

Az17

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
I figured out what the problem was. Both the TV and sound card had a audio cable plugged into them with the other ends feeding into a splitter. These two sources run straight to my speaker system. When I turned off the TV it stopped putting out an audio signal, hence the increase in performance from my sound card. An oversight on my part.