Sign in with
Your question

Problem with computer, don't know what section to put it in.

Last response: in Components
March 31, 2011 1:45:02 AM

Hello. I have been having a problem with my computer recently. Before I talk about the problem i'll list the system specs:

1TB of hard drive space
8 gigs of ddr2 RAM
ATI Radeon 4650 Graphics card
AMD Phenom Quad core processor @ 2.6ghz
Windows Vista Home Premium :( 

When I first bought the computer about a year ago, everything was fine, this problem would not occur. But over time it would happen like once a month or maybe not even once a month, but now it is doing it pretty much every day multiple times. The problem is that i will be playing WoW(World of Warcraft) and anywhere from 5 minutes - 24 hours the computer monitor pretty much goes black, the computer quiets down but stays on. It's like it enter some kind of standby mode, but the only way to get the computer working again is to unplug it from the wall. It is defniitly not a monitor issue considering it happened on my old monitor as well, and I just got a new one and it still does it. All of my hibernation/sleep mode settings are on never so it has nothing to do with that. This problem only happens when im playing WoW. I can use internet explorer, itunes, google chrome, whatever I want for the longest time and nothing happens, but lets say I open up WoW, at a random interval the computer will just quiet down and the screen goes black. My 2 guesses about why this is happening is either 1.) Overheating and shutting down for protection or 2.) My PSU is dying. At first I thought it was overheating becuase one day it happened literally ever 2 minutes so I then decided to open my window, let my room get cold, and play with the side of the case off so it can air out the computer. This pretty much worked perfect for a month but then yesterday its starting to happen again. I put 2 external fans by the computer and its still happening. Also, I put a big air conditioner like 6 inches away from the computer and turned it on so the computer wouldn't get hot, and its still happening. I am going to upgrade my PSU to a 600w in about a week or so. I am not 100% sure if thats the problem though. Has this happened to anyone else?!?!?!? Its a frustrating problem and I would really like to get it fixed so I can play WoW without worrying about the computer going off every 2 seconds.

Thank you.
March 31, 2011 4:54:12 AM

I think it is the PSU as well. Just to make sure, fire up Windows and leave it idle. It should stay on. Now stress it by running a game or something,... if it shuts down then, it is probably the PSU dying.
m
l
Related resources
March 31, 2011 8:06:08 PM

yeah i pretty much can leave my computer running for days with just using programs like itunes, ie, google chrome etc.... but once i open a game it shuts off at random intervals. im replacing my powe supply soon and i just cleaned out my fans and got all the dust out of my case, everything sounds a lot more quiet
m
l
March 31, 2011 8:19:30 PM

Try running Prime95. This will simulate stress without running Warcraft. If the screen goes blank it's not WoW you have a hardware issue(gpu/psu most likely). If it does NOT go blank it is a software issue. I have played warcraft since release and have never had this problem(tho I have had others). I did have a vid card once that the fan on my hs failed (during my Crysis days)and it would run windows fine but as soon as any gpu load hit bam lights out. Silly question but is you gpu hs in order?
m
l
!