Wireless Router speed question

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 24, 2005 12:17:59 PM

I have just installed DSL broadband and have an Asus W1000N laptop on order
and I want to get a router such that I can hard-wire the desktop and
wireless-link the laptop to both an internal LAN and the internet
connection. D-Link have a suitable looking gizmo that uses the 802.11g
standard (as per laptop) and includes 4 Ethernet ports but it comes in 2
flavours, one delivering 52 MB/S wireless and the other 108 MB/S. My
question is will I be able to use the full 108 MB/S speed with the Wi-Fi
setup that ships with the laptop? My guess is that the speed doubling
comes from some fancy compression used in the router and will only work with
matching D-Link interface cards installed in the PC, so maybe speed would be
limited to 52 MB/S with non-D-Link kit installed in the laptop - am I right?

Obviously the reason for asking is that the slower router is cheaper and I
hate wasting cash!

Cheers
Malcolm
February 24, 2005 12:18:00 PM

Malcolm <to__malcolmNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
: I have just installed DSL broadband and have an Asus W1000N laptop on order
: and I want to get a router such that I can hard-wire the desktop and
: wireless-link the laptop to both an internal LAN and the internet
: connection. D-Link have a suitable looking gizmo that uses the 802.11g
: standard (as per laptop) and includes 4 Ethernet ports but it comes in 2
: flavours, one delivering 52 MB/S wireless and the other 108 MB/S. My
: question is will I be able to use the full 108 MB/S speed with the Wi-Fi
: setup that ships with the laptop? My guess is that the speed doubling
: comes from some fancy compression used in the router and will only work with
: matching D-Link interface cards installed in the PC, so maybe speed would be
: limited to 52 MB/S with non-D-Link kit installed in the laptop - am I right?

Yeah, it's going to depend on the wireless card in the laptop. If
it's 802.11g standard, it's probably only 54Mbps and won't be able to
go 108Mbps to the router. If you really need that speed, you could
get a PC Card D-link wireless card that goes that fast, but it sounds
like you don't.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Not only will you not be able to use the full 108MB/sec, but in fact an
802.11b router, with a speed 90% slower than the accelerated "g" router,
would still be faster -- a LOT faster -- than your internet connection.
DLS has a speed of only hundreds of thousands of megabytes per second,
which is far, far, far less than 100 million bytes per second. Speed
isn't a factor in terms of the internet connection. However, if you
will be transferring large files between the desktop and laptop, that
could be much more of an issue, as that could use the full bandwidth of
whichever link you choose (only for brief periods of time, however).

[two weeks ago Best Buy had a D-Link Router AND WiFi PC Card bundle on
sale for $19.95 after 2 rebates -- for BOTH the router and PC card. It
was the 802.11g router, but without the speed doubling technology (e.g.
54 MB/sec, not 108). My system here is still 802.11b, which is only 10
MB/sec, and I have cable modem, which is significantly faster -- as much
as 5X faster -- than DSL. But even cable modem is not more than about
20% the speed of lowly 802.11b.]

Malcolm wrote:
> I have just installed DSL broadband and have an Asus W1000N laptop on order
> and I want to get a router such that I can hard-wire the desktop and
> wireless-link the laptop to both an internal LAN and the internet
> connection. D-Link have a suitable looking gizmo that uses the 802.11g
> standard (as per laptop) and includes 4 Ethernet ports but it comes in 2
> flavours, one delivering 52 MB/S wireless and the other 108 MB/S. My
> question is will I be able to use the full 108 MB/S speed with the Wi-Fi
> setup that ships with the laptop? My guess is that the speed doubling
> comes from some fancy compression used in the router and will only work with
> matching D-Link interface cards installed in the PC, so maybe speed would be
> limited to 52 MB/S with non-D-Link kit installed in the laptop - am I right?
>
> Obviously the reason for asking is that the slower router is cheaper and I
> hate wasting cash!
>
> Cheers
> Malcolm

a b D Laptop
February 24, 2005 12:18:00 PM

"Malcolm" <to__malcolmNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have just installed DSL broadband and have an Asus W1000N laptop on
order
> and I want to get a router such that I can hard-wire the desktop and
> wireless-link the laptop to both an internal LAN and the internet
> connection. D-Link have a suitable looking gizmo that uses the 802.11g
> standard (as per laptop) and includes 4 Ethernet ports but it comes in 2
> flavours, one delivering 52 MB/S wireless and the other 108 MB/S. My
> question is will I be able to use the full 108 MB/S speed with the Wi-Fi
> setup that ships with the laptop? My guess is that the speed doubling
> comes from some fancy compression used in the router and will only work
with
> matching D-Link interface cards installed in the PC, so maybe speed would
be
> limited to 52 MB/S with non-D-Link kit installed in the laptop - am I
right?

> Obviously the reason for asking is that the slower router is cheaper and I
> hate wasting cash!
>
> Cheers
> Malcolm

Others have mentioned that the speed difference is immaterial for internet
activities but may be significant for large file transfers between your
laptop and your desktop. Frankly, I think if you do a lot of large file
transfers like that, you're better off using wired ethernet - just hook a
cable between your wireless router and your laptop. For me the biggest
limitation of current b and g wireless is range which can place additional
limits on transfer speed. The new standard, n, which comes in 2006 promises
much better range than now available. Belkin sells a "pre-N" router and
cards that display this dramatic increase in range but it's considerably
more expensive and it may not conform to the final standard - although I
can't believe there wouldn't be some firmware release to solve that problem
in 2006. If I were you, unless your main use is large (and I mean many
hundreds of MB) file transfer, just go with the regular g which is cheaper
and wait for the n standard in a year or two.

BTW, does anyone know how well those add-on antennas work for improving the
range of a router? I have a couple of spots in my house wher the reception
is marginal and a better antenna might be a cost-effective way to alleviate
that problem.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 24, 2005 12:18:01 PM

Barry Watzman wrote:

> Not only will you not be able to use the full 108MB/sec, but in fact an
> 802.11b router, with a speed 90% slower than the accelerated "g" router,
> would still be faster -- a LOT faster -- than your internet connection.
> DLS has a speed of only hundreds of thousands of megabytes per second,
> which is far, far, far less than 100 million bytes per second. Speed
> isn't a factor in terms of the internet connection. However, if you
> will be transferring large files between the desktop and laptop, that
> could be much more of an issue, as that could use the full bandwidth of
> whichever link you choose (only for brief periods of time, however).
>
> [two weeks ago Best Buy had a D-Link Router AND WiFi PC Card bundle on
> sale for $19.95 after 2 rebates -- for BOTH the router and PC card. It
> was the 802.11g router, but without the speed doubling technology (e.g.
> 54 MB/sec, not 108). My system here is still 802.11b, which is only 10
> MB/sec, and I have cable modem, which is significantly faster -- as much
> as 5X faster -- than DSL. But even cable modem is not more than about
> 20% the speed of lowly 802.11b.]
>
> Malcolm wrote:
> > I have just installed DSL broadband and have an Asus W1000N laptop on order
> > and I want to get a router such that I can hard-wire the desktop and
> > wireless-link the laptop to both an internal LAN and the internet
> > connection. D-Link have a suitable looking gizmo that uses the 802.11g
> > standard (as per laptop) and includes 4 Ethernet ports but it comes in 2
> > flavours, one delivering 52 MB/S wireless and the other 108 MB/S. My
> > question is will I be able to use the full 108 MB/S speed with the Wi-Fi
> > setup that ships with the laptop? My guess is that the speed doubling
> > comes from some fancy compression used in the router and will only work with
> > matching D-Link interface cards installed in the PC, so maybe speed would be
> > limited to 52 MB/S with non-D-Link kit installed in the laptop - am I right?
> >
> > Obviously the reason for asking is that the slower router is cheaper and I
> > hate wasting cash!
> >
> > Cheers
> > Malcolm

In addition, the problem 108 routers present is that they use two 54 channels to
get the 108 thruput, thereby generating more congestion within a neighborhood.
Now if the houses are spread out, or not a lot of people in the neighborhood are
using wifi, no problem.

TJ
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
February 25, 2005 11:58:06 AM

Thanks folks, very useful and informative replies.

I certainly will not bother with the 108 in my situation, but I will stick
to to the 802.11g standard - just occasionally I do need to move large files
between laptop/desktop PCs internally so I think it will be worth it.

Now I'm away to spend the money saved on a decent bottle of red - Cheers!

Malcolm
February 25, 2005 11:58:07 AM

Malcolm <to__malcolmNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Thanks folks, very useful and informative replies.

: I certainly will not bother with the 108 in my situation, but I will stick
: to to the 802.11g standard - just occasionally I do need to move large files
: between laptop/desktop PCs internally so I think it will be worth it.

Well, for those rare occasions, you could always plug your Ethernet
cable in and do a direct network. That's what I do.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

"Ian S" <iws51remove@cox.net> wrote in message
>> BTW, does anyone know how well those add-on antennas work for improving
>> the
> range of a router? I have a couple of spots in my house wher the reception
> is marginal and a better antenna might be a cost-effective way to
> alleviate
> that problem.

I've got a Linksys WRT54G router and I bought those longer and supposedly
higher gain antennas and the increase in signal was almost nothing. That
was with me using a Linksys 54G card in my old laptop. I recently bought a
www.parkervision.com card and that card was much more sensitive and received
the same Linksys router much better. Went from low signal to very good most
of the time at the other end of my house. I also recently sold that same
laptop and bought a new HP laptop with wireless built in and the HP laptop
receives like my old Toshiba did with the Parker Vision card. I'll be
curious to see exactly how well the built in wireless does compared to the
Parker Vision when trying to connect from farther distances. There is a
website that sells their own firmware version to use on Linksys routers
www.sveasoft.com which is supposed to allow you to increase the transmitted
power of some Linksys routers. I'm thinking about paying the $20 to get
their software. Has anyone else used their software? I'm also curious
about the built in 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM) that
came in my HP notebook. Like I said it appears to be pretty sensitive. I
wonder what routers will be compatible with that doing 125 HSM?

Ben
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 11:19:02 PM

Ben in TN <sea-doo@wolfplayer.us> wrote:
[snip]
> There is a
> website that sells their own firmware version to use on Linksys routers
> www.sveasoft.com which is supposed to allow you to increase the transmitted
> power of some Linksys routers. I'm thinking about paying the $20 to get
> their software.

The Sveasoft firmware should be available free. Evidently Linkxys
released their source code under the GPL, so any derivative works must
also be released under the GPL. You shouldn't have to pay for this
software. It looks like you just have to subscribe for the current
development version; previous stable releases are freely available.
Look at the FAQ section on the sveasoft.com website for some more info.

A very popular thread with people's experiences with this firmware is here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=40&t...

Of course, the $20 would probably be a nice thing to do.... support further
development, etc.
March 13, 2005 11:32:05 PM

There was an article in the Mar 22 PC Mag giving links to the open source
location that can provide a version of Linksys software (Seasoft Sartori)
that performs those functions for free.
www.linksysinfo.com
Terry

"Ben in TN" <sea-doo@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
> "Ian S" <iws51remove@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> BTW, does anyone know how well those add-on antennas work for improving
>>> the
>> range of a router? I have a couple of spots in my house wher the
>> reception
>> is marginal and a better antenna might be a cost-effective way to
>> alleviate
>> that problem.
>>

> I've got a Linksys WRT54G router and I bought those longer and supposedly
> higher gain antennas and the increase in signal was almost nothing. That
> was with me using a Linksys 54G card in my old laptop. I recently bought
> a www.parkervision.com card and that card was much more sensitive and
> received the same Linksys router much better. Went from low signal to
> very good most of the time at the other end of my house. I also recently
> sold that same laptop and bought a new HP laptop with wireless built in
> and the HP laptop receives like my old Toshiba did with the Parker Vision
> card. I'll be curious to see exactly how well the built in wireless does
> compared to the Parker Vision when trying to connect from farther
> distances. There is a website that sells their own firmware version to
> use on Linksys routers www.sveasoft.com which is supposed to allow you to
> increase the transmitted power of some Linksys routers. I'm thinking
> about paying the $20 to get their software. Has anyone else used their
> software? I'm also curious about the built in 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/
> 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM) that came in my HP notebook. Like I said it
> appears to be pretty sensitive. I wonder what routers will be compatible
> with that doing 125 HSM?
>
> Ben

Anonymous
a b D Laptop