Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sharing printer between Vista and Win 7 PCs

Last response: in Networking
June 17, 2010 3:41:24 AM

I recently built a new PC (with TONS of help from some very friendly and knowledgeable users on these forums) and have had some issues when trying to setup a home network to share a printer. The printer (Epson Ink Jet series) is attached to a Windows Vista PC via USB. I would like to be able to also print to it from my Win 7 PC via a home network. Both PCs are connected (wired) to a DYNEX Wireless G Router (while the Router is a wireless version, we use the wired ports in the back of the unit to connect both PCs to a cable modem). I have looked around online, but haven't found anything too clear on how to setup a home network using the two different OS. Any help or a link to a useful step by step guide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
June 22, 2010 4:53:03 PM

Still trying to figure out how to set this up correctly. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Best solution

June 23, 2010 6:58:07 PM

if you have it attach to the vista machine share it out..

Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings:

Turn on network discovery, (Do all this for both machines)
Turn on file sharing and printer sharing (Do all this for both machines)
I turned off public folders its up to you (Do all this for both machines)

Also go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers find your printer right click and click printer properties go to sharing click share this printer then name the printer w.e you want

After that's all done on vista machine go to win7 machine type in address bar the vista machine name so for ex if you open my computer were it says my computer type ---> \\vista-PC then hit enter

(if you don't know your PC name right click on my computer and go to properties > look for computer name, domain and workgroup settings > if you click change settings you can change your computer name requires a reboot)

You should see the printer that you are sharing

Right click can press connect.

You know if your printer has networking capability you can just plug it into your router and set an IP
Related resources
June 24, 2010 12:06:38 AM

Best answer selected by goodwidp.
June 24, 2010 12:07:04 AM

Thanks very much. I appreciate the response!
!