Bluescreen on Windows load after new MB

yuriythebest

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
Right, having replaced my MB when windows gets to the "loading bar" section it always bluescreens.

Previously I've had an issue with my proc overheating and my pc turning off but now if I enter bios it hovers at a stable 32-34 (previously even if I entered bios it'd turn itself off but now it doesn't do that yay!)

Now, should I just reinstall Windows Xp or is the bluescreen indicative of a more serious hardware problem, considering that previously before the previous MB failed windows was working fine.

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Having replace your MB you will need to do a fresh install of windows, or at least repair windows from the disk. I'm understanding that you did not yet do this, correct?
If you have then you are looking at a potential HW issue. But if you didn't at least repair from the windows disk your old MB bios and drivers are still on the HDD and it is conflicting with your new HW.

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
If you set your CD/DVD ROM to be a boot drive in the bios and put in your win disk you will be able to select "Repair Windows". This may sol ve your problem. If it doesn't then you may have to format the HDD and load a fresh copy of your OS, then load the system drivers from the disk you got with your MB. After you either repair or install a new copy of OS and load your drivers go into Device Manager and check to make sure you don't have any remaining "Bangs" which will either be yellow exclamation points or yellow question marks. If you are clear of all bangs you should be good to go.

yuriythebest

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008

correct- thanks for the advice! will reinstall tomorrow

Windows XP Repair Install is what I would attempt first.

Since you haven't specified the make and model of motherboard I can't provide any specific information to help you solve the problem.

If you are booting from a SATA hard disk drive are you running the hard disk drive controller in IDE compatibility mode or AHCI mode? If you are running in AHCI mode you will require the AHCI driver for your motherboard chipset's hard disk drive controller to be on a diskette so that you can provide it during the Press F6 to Install a Third Party Driver step of the Windows XP setup.

If you are running in IDE compatibility mode there is no need for the driver diskette.

I have had such machine's brought to me after a similar scenario and 1st few times attempted a "repair" ..... sometimes get to a completed install only to have continued problems and finally have had to just format and reinstall. I don't bother with a "repair" unless the two MoBos are very similar, same brand like maybe a BFMoBo2000 to a BFMoBo2000-E