Urgent help needed

G

ok so im building a new ultimate gaming rig and ive set my mind to the
Asus Sabertooth X58 TUF Intel X58
with the i7 950
and 12 gb of crucial balistix 1600 mz ram triple channel

now my question is the MOBO accepts 1600 and triple channel but the 17950 has a memory controller of 1333 standard will this be a problem as i dont want dual channel ram i also know nothing about OC cpu's

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
ok so im building a new ultimate gaming rig and ive set my mind to the
Asus Sabertooth X58 TUF Intel X58
with the i7 950
and 12 gb of crucial balistix 1600 mz ram triple channel

now my question is the MOBO accepts 1600 and triple channel but the 17950 has a memory controller of 1333 standard will this be a problem as i dont want dual channel ram i also know nothing about OC cpu's

17 wont run dual channel ever (i think), but 1600 is okay it should work fine.

G

sorry i mistyped

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/processors/intelcorei71366socket/intel/bx80601950.html

says the ram controller is 1333 not 1600

my board im buying says it supports 1600 triple channel but what about the i7 950 controller with that pose any problems ?

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/motherboards/intel1366x58chipsetmotherboards/asus/90-mibdk0-g0eay00z.html

thats my board

and my ram is

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/memory-pc/ddr3-triplechannel/crucial/bl3kit25664tb1608.html

i need a reply before 12 as thats when i place order :) is currently 6 am i thank any 1 that can help me out here :)

G

is there any way i can see a guide to just overclock the i7 950 so it run 1600 ram at 1600 ? and then maybe the cpu clock speed to around 3.4 - 3.6 with no turbo or power saving

mainly the ram controller on i7 alone tho as the processor clock is more than powerful stock.

skaz

Distinguished
is there any way i can see a guide to just overclock the i7 950 so it run 1600 ram at 1600 ? and then maybe the cpu clock speed to around 3.4 - 3.6 with no turbo or power saving

mainly the ram controller on i7 alone tho as the processor clock is more than powerful stock.

Like I said chances are that it will automatically set the timings correctly for the RAM modules when you boot. In the case that it doesn't your motherboard's manual is your best guide as it will tell you exactly where to find the settings for your RAM. And your RAM modules will have the timings and voltage stamped right on the sticker attached to them.

Also, your motherboard supports the XMP. So for supported RAM its as easy as going into the BIOS and selecting that it use the XMP (extreme memory profile).

skaz

Distinguished
So get everything you need. Plug it in. Boot it up and check your RAM timings. I use CPU-Z.

Then if its correct your good.

If not, then follow what I said and enter the BIOS and set the XMP profile for your RAM. (instructions for entering your BIOS and setting the XMP are in your motherboard manual)