Sign in with
Your question

Potential problem....

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2011 10:42:56 PM

I built a new system last Aug. everything has been running great up til today.
I was playing a simple game while I was also running a flash memory recovery program no big deal right?
Well, all of a sudden without warning, I hear this pop immediately followed by the smell of something burning.
The computer reboots as I look around the computer & didn't find a thing. The computer goes to the " Want to boost into safe mode screen".
I select boost normally & all is fine as of right now.
I suspect it might have something to do with the PSU, because I've had similar happenings before. Only then; the computer wouldn't even boot up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

System specs:

CPU: i7 980X
MB: Asus P6X58D-E
GPU: EVGA 480
RAM: 6GB of Corsair 1600
PSU: Corsair 1kw
Boot Drive: G Skill 120 GB SSD
Data Drives: WD Blk 1 TB x 2 in RAID 0

More about : potential problem

a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2011 3:29:36 AM

Sounds like a PSU issue, but I'd open your PC up and look over everything very, very carefully. If all looks well, RMA or trash that PSU before it takes something with it.
m
l
January 6, 2011 4:11:47 AM

Is there any way to test to see if there is a problem? Short of buying worth $500.00 testing equipment?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2011 7:43:34 AM

Definitely. They sell cheap PSU testers for >20, but I think I'd try and load it out and see if you can recreate the problem. Prime95 and Furmark it at the same time, that's going to draw a good bit of juice. Most PSU's don't fail at idle, it's when they're loaded they can't keep steady current, or internals fail.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2011 10:57:26 AM

Those PSU testers are very handy, but they have their limitations. They can tell you if a PSU is bad, but because they represent an insignificant load to a PSU, they cannot tell you if a PSU is good.
m
l
January 7, 2011 2:01:49 AM

I spoke with someone who lives in my neck of the woods & he says there was a spike sent through the cable line & ran through the modem ( I have cable internet).
Now I'm thinking that it might have been my surge protector that popped. Has anyone had this happen to them? I opened up the computer & didn't see any burnt PC parts. All my normal programs seem to be running fine & I was running some backup & recovery software without any trouble.
m
l
!