Sign in with
Your question

Potential problem....

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2011 10:42:56 PM

I built a new system last Aug. everything has been running great up til today.
I was playing a simple game while I was also running a flash memory recovery program no big deal right?
Well, all of a sudden without warning, I hear this pop immediately followed by the smell of something burning.
The computer reboots as I look around the computer & didn't find a thing. The computer goes to the " Want to boost into safe mode screen".
I select boost normally & all is fine as of right now.
I suspect it might have something to do with the PSU, because I've had similar happenings before. Only then; the computer wouldn't even boot up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

System specs:

CPU: i7 980X
MB: Asus P6X58D-E
GPU: EVGA 480
RAM: 6GB of Corsair 1600
PSU: Corsair 1kw
Boot Drive: G Skill 120 GB SSD
Data Drives: WD Blk 1 TB x 2 in RAID 0

More about : potential problem

a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2011 3:29:36 AM

Sounds like a PSU issue, but I'd open your PC up and look over everything very, very carefully. If all looks well, RMA or trash that PSU before it takes something with it.
January 6, 2011 4:11:47 AM

Is there any way to test to see if there is a problem? Short of buying worth $500.00 testing equipment?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2011 7:43:34 AM

Definitely. They sell cheap PSU testers for >20, but I think I'd try and load it out and see if you can recreate the problem. Prime95 and Furmark it at the same time, that's going to draw a good bit of juice. Most PSU's don't fail at idle, it's when they're loaded they can't keep steady current, or internals fail.
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2011 10:57:26 AM

Those PSU testers are very handy, but they have their limitations. They can tell you if a PSU is bad, but because they represent an insignificant load to a PSU, they cannot tell you if a PSU is good.
January 7, 2011 2:01:49 AM

I spoke with someone who lives in my neck of the woods & he says there was a spike sent through the cable line & ran through the modem ( I have cable internet).
Now I'm thinking that it might have been my surge protector that popped. Has anyone had this happen to them? I opened up the computer & didn't see any burnt PC parts. All my normal programs seem to be running fine & I was running some backup & recovery software without any trouble.
!