Sign in with
Your question

Will Two ATI cards in SLI side by side on this mobo?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 6, 2010 9:04:42 AM

I have Two GIGABYTE HD 5870's and I am going to put them in CF. I was wondering if there will be enough room between the Two cards on the ASUS Sabertooth X58.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-tuf-sabertooth-x58-r...

The Two PCIe 2.0 x16 slots are literally right next to each other. If I am putting Two HD 5870's in crossfire in these slots, will they fit?

Here is a link to the exact cards I have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 169 U Graphics card
November 6, 2010 9:29:55 AM

Yes they should work fine in that board.
m
l
November 6, 2010 8:37:40 PM

Maziar said:
Yes they should work fine in that board.

The Two cards in such close proximity to each other won't conflict with the cooling fans ability to blow air onto the heat sink?

I've been told that any single or dual slot GPU will fit right next to each other without any physical obstruction. There are a few triple slot (not many) designs that may cause a problem.
m
l
Related resources
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 6, 2010 8:59:00 PM

ambam said:
The Two cards in such close proximity to each other won't conflict with the cooling fans ability to blow air onto the heat sink?

I've been told that any single or dual slot GPU will fit right next to each other without any physical obstruction. There are a few triple slot (not many) designs that may cause a problem.

It will work, and they will be only about 1/8" from each other, which will cause them to run hotter than normal. However, it's prefered to have 1 extra slot between the cards so they can breath better. There are not a lot of boards like this, but they do exist.
m
l
November 7, 2010 3:41:10 AM

bystander said:
It will work, and they will be only about 1/8" from each other, which will cause them to run hotter than normal. However, it's prefered to have 1 extra slot between the cards so they can breath better. There are not a lot of boards like this, but they do exist.

My other mobo choice was the MSI big bang x-power. But the Two PCIe 2.0 x16 slots were physically too far apart from each other. I'm not sure if the CF wire would stretch that far.

The slot placement on that ASUS mobo is kind of dumb too. Especially the single PCI slot.

How much of a performance hit would I have from the bottleneck caused by having an HD 5870 plugged into a PCIe 2.0 8x slot?
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 7, 2010 4:05:08 AM

ambam said:
My other mobo choice was the MSI big bang x-power. But the Two PCIe 2.0 x16 slots were physically too far apart from each other. I'm not sure if the CF wire would stretch that far.

The slot placement on that ASUS mobo is kind of dumb too. Especially the single PCI slot.

How much of a performance hit would I have from the bottleneck caused by having an HD 5870 plugged into a PCIe 2.0 8x slot?

I have seen pictures with motherboards using an extra large bridge that could span acrossed 3 slots, they normally can span acrossed 2 extra slots. With the 2 slot of space, that means there can be a single slot worth of space between two double slot cards.

x8 x8 is actually pretty decent performance. You can expect about 1-4% loss of performance as a result.
m
l
November 7, 2010 7:44:03 PM

bystander said:
I have seen pictures with cards using an extra large bridge that could spawn acrossed 3 slots, they normally can spawn acrossed 2 extra slots. With the 2 slot cards, that means there can be a single slot worth of space with normal bridges.

x8 x8 is actually pretty decent performance. You can expect about 1-4% loss of performance as a result.

Are there any other high-end X58 boards you might recommend that have Two PCIe 2.0 x16 slots Two slots away from each other?
m
l
November 8, 2010 5:21:32 AM

bystander said:

But it will work?

Why do so many motherboards have the PCIe 2.0 x16 slots right next to each other?

Also, I've been told that I can fit a PCIe sound card into the PCIe 4x slot at the bottom of that board. Is this really true?
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 5:48:10 AM

ambam said:
But it will work?

Why do so many motherboards have the PCIe 2.0 x16 slots right next to each other?

Also, I've been told that I can fit a PCIe sound card into the PCIe 4x slot at the bottom of that board. Is this really true?

Yes it will work.

No idea.

Yes, you can fit the x4 card in the x16 slot, or at least this is what I've always read.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 6:02:38 AM

The first 2 pci-e x16 closer to Northbridge (X58) slots are running in x16 the other 2 x8 so you put it in the first 2. X58 is really strong chip to pool this through you will have no problem the Temperatures is another story.

GA-X68A-UD9 is more stable the extra 12 volts connector for the pci-e will help you solve all the stability issues whille you are at CF trust me on this.
m
l
November 8, 2010 6:13:43 AM

Quote:
The first 2 pci-e x16 closer to Northbridge (X58) slots are running in x16 the other 2 x8 so you put it in the first 2. X58 is really strong chip to pool this through you will have no problem the Temperatures is another story.

GA-X68A-UD9 is more stable the extra 12 volts connector for the pci-e will help you solve all the stability issues whille you are at CF trust me on this.

Will having Two GPU's so close to each other increase the temps of both cards like 20-30 *C?

Will a case with high airflow like my CM HAF932 full tower case slightly alleviate this problem?
m
l
November 8, 2010 6:23:28 AM

The bottom card will be normal, at load the top one will be around 15-20C higher since you have the non-reference cooler.

x8 PCI-e lanes are hardly a bottleneck, and when they are it's normally on the GTX 480. The 5870 might not even be using the whole lane bandwidth depending on the load on the card, so its possible it might not even bottleneck at all.

The boards have them close to each other with reference coolers in mind. Take the GTX 480, the design of the card means air is sucked in through end and blown through the heatsink and card, rather than the Gigabyte cards that "blow" onto the heatsink to provide airflow. The dynamics of the cooling systems are different, and most of the high end reference coolers don't get affected by what's underneath.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 8:27:45 AM

ambam said:
Will having Two GPU's so close to each other increase the temps of both cards like 20-30 *C?

Will a case with high airflow like my CM HAF932 full tower case slightly alleviate this problem?

That will depend on the cards and the coolers they use, my 8800GT's for instance have a 5c difference between them with the top card being the hotter of the two.
m
l
November 8, 2010 8:57:17 AM

itouchedyou said:
The bottom card will be normal, at load the top one will be around 15-20C higher since you have the non-reference cooler.

x8 PCI-e lanes are hardly a bottleneck, and when they are it's normally on the GTX 480. The 5870 might not even be using the whole lane bandwidth depending on the load on the card, so its possible it might not even bottleneck at all.

The boards have them close to each other with reference coolers in mind. Take the GTX 480, the design of the card means air is sucked in through end and blown through the heatsink and card, rather than the Gigabyte cards that "blow" onto the heatsink to provide airflow. The dynamics of the cooling systems are different, and most of the high end reference coolers don't get affected by what's underneath.

So we're talking about 85-90 *C for the top card and 65-70 for the bottom?

The top card probably won't last long at those temperatures.
m
l
November 8, 2010 8:58:29 AM

Mousemonkey said:
That will depend on the cards and the coolers they use, my 8800GT's for instance have a 5c difference between them with the top card being the hotter of the two.

Are they using their reference coolers? Or the kind that "blow" air onto the heatsink?
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 9:11:03 AM

ambam said:
Are they using their reference coolers? Or the kind that "blow" air onto the heatsink?

I'm using Zalman VF900's but even with standard coolers on I doubt you will see a 15c - 20c difference between the top and bottom cards, whichever ones you choose.
m
l
November 8, 2010 9:16:21 AM

Mousemonkey said:
I'm using Zalman VF900's but even with standard coolers on I doubt you will see a 15c - 20c difference between the top and bottom cards, whichever ones you choose.

Maybe a 5-10 degree difference?

A case with little or no airflow will cause air-cooled components to heat up drastically and cripple it's ability to cool the chip. My Coolermaster HAF 932 should alleviate some of the temperature problems caused by having Two GPU's side by side?
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 9:21:25 AM

A 5 - 10 degree difference would be about normal, if it's greater than that then think about cleaning out heatsinks.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 3:28:51 PM

Keep in mind, while the top will run hotter, the lower one may also run hotter than normal. At least that's what I found. The heat that gets trapped between the cards will also heat up the lower card.

I've experienced this with 5870's and 470's. I also found that running them with an extra space between them helped temps on both cards and noise levels.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 3:38:35 PM

bystander said:
Keep in mind, while the top will run hotter, the lower one may also run hotter than normal. At least that's what I found. The heat that gets trapped between the cards will also heat up the lower card.

I've experienced this with 5870's and 470's. I also found that running them with an extra space between them helped temps on both cards and noise levels.

I have two 80mm side fans exhausting the heat from the area around the cards so whilst the top card does run slightly hotter the lower one doesn't, taking the top card out does not change the temp of the lower one.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 3:49:14 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I have two 80mm side fans exhausting the heat from the area around the cards so whilst the top card does run slightly hotter the lower one doesn't, taking the top card out does not change the temp of the lower one.

Your setup will not likely be his setup. He will likely find the lower card runs harder than it normally would, and he will likely find the top one runs hotter yet.

Also, if he was to use an aftermarket cooler, it seems the new coolers are taking up 3 slots.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/accelero-xtreme-plu...
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 3:52:13 PM

bystander said:
Your setup will not likely be his setup. He will likely find the lower card runs harder than it normally would, and he will likely find the top one runs hotter yet.

Do you know what case the OP is going to be using or what kind of fan setup will be used?
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 3:53:53 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Do you know what case the OP is going to be using or what kind of fan setup will be used?

No I don't, but I unlike you, I did not assume he would have it or not. The truth is, I have not seem a case setup like that, so I find it less likely he would have it, but I didn't assume he wouldn't either.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 3:57:43 PM

bystander said:
No I don't, but I unlike you, I did not assume he would have it or not. The truth is, I have not seem a case setup like that, so I find it less likely he would have it, but I didn't assume he wouldn't either.

Well I've seen many cases with fans on the side be it 2x 80mm or 1x 120mm so why (like you) should I assume that the OP does not have a case with side fans?
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 3:59:27 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Well I've seen many cases with fans on the side be it 2x 80mm or 1x 120mm so why (like you) should I assume that the OP does not have a case with side fans?

I said it may be an issue.

I said it's likely an issue.

I didn't say, it IS not an issue.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 4:11:33 PM

bystander said:
I said it may be an issue.

I said it's likely an issue.

I didn't say, it IS not an issue.

You do realise that the Coolermaster HAF 932 has a 230mm fan on the side which if set to exhaust is likely to be similar to my setup don't you?
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 4:18:33 PM

Mousemonkey said:
You do realise that the Coolermaster HAF 932 has a 230mm fan on the side which if set to exhaust is likely to be similar to my setup don't you?

That is a possibility. There are other factors envolved. Although after seeing that post, I might not use "likely" and stick with the original "may".

You could be right. What I'm objecting to, is the way you always assume if something doesn't happen to you, it doesn't happen. You do this a lot.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 4:23:18 PM

bystander said:
That is a possibility. There are other factors envolved. Although after seeing that post, I might not use "likely" and stick with the original "may".

You could be right. What I'm objecting to, is the way you always assume if something doesn't happen to you, it doesn't happen. You do this a lot.

Or maybe it's because I read posts properly and I know what cases have fans on the side when the OP mentions what case they are using? Something that you failed to do in this thread and many others that I've seen you post in.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 4:27:27 PM

ambam said:
But it will work?

Closer each other true but closer to X58 fatster as you may imagine, yes you can put your x4 in the bottom.

The motherboard i gave you has capacitors that working in 105C without a problem so you will full stable with the extra 12V connector that has really close to the pci-e and the Northbridge providing extra power to the pci-e in case in some scenario something will happen and a card starts to feeding from there....

I have the older model and i thiking to upgrade to this motherboard also in oder to solve all the issues once and for all couse i tired...
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 4:31:55 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Or maybe it's because I read posts properly and I know what cases have fans on the side when the OP mentions what case they are using? Something that you failed to do in this thread and many others that I've seen you post in.

Sorry, this is not the same. His post on the case was far late into the thread. Sorry for the mistake. It still doesn't mean he won't have the issue depending on other air flow issues.

And you still tend to turn a blind eye on any problems that doesn't concern you. (frying nvidia drivers, SLI issues and so on.)

I've said what I needed to. Hopefully he'll take it all into consideration.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 4:51:40 PM

bystander said:
Sorry, this is not the same. His post on the case was far late into the thread. Sorry for the mistake. It still doesn't mean he won't have the issue depending on other air flow issues.

And you still tend to turn a blind eye on any problems that doesn't concern you. (frying nvidia drivers, SLI issues and so on.)

I've said what I needed to. Hopefully he'll take it all into consideration.

Those drivers didn't fry my cards and I don't have any SLi issues but of course everyone is going to have the same issues that you have had and see the same problems that you've seen with your setups. :lol: 
m
l
November 8, 2010 8:59:09 PM

Mousemonkey said:

My exact setup includes the following.

*Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz 8MB L3 cache
*ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard
*6GB Patriot 1333 MHz tri-channel RAM
*Two Gigabyte HD 5870's in CF (the ones with the aftermarket features)
*Corsair TX850 850W PSU
*DVD-ROM
*Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM HDD
*Coolermaster HAF 932 full tower case
*ZALMAN CNPS9900 CPU aftermarket cooler
*Windows 7 HP 64-bit (OEM)
*Norton AV 2011
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 9:01:37 PM

ambam said:
My exact setup includes the following.

*Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz 8MB L3 cache
*ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard
*6GB Patriot 1333 MHz tri-channel RAM
*Two Gigabyte HD 5870's in CF (the ones with the aftermarket features)
*Corsair TX850 850W PSU
*DVD-ROM
*Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM HDD
*Coolermaster HAF 932 full tower case
*ZALMAN CNPS9900 CPU aftermarket cooler
*Windows 7 HP 64-bit (OEM)
*Norton AV 2011

What do you have the side fan on your case set as, exhaust or inlet?
m
l
November 8, 2010 9:11:02 PM

Mousemonkey said:
What do you have the side fan on your case set as, exhaust or inlet?

I'm not sure. I have not modified the case yet. In fact, it has not been removed from it's box. I would imagine that the side fan is set to whatever factory-specification of the HAf932.

None of my hardware has been removed from it's box, my PC has not been built yet. I'm waiting for the Black Friday sales because I have my eyes set on a very nice 1080p monitor I can get for half-off the retail price.

Construction at the "Fry's microcenter" costs $100.

I have an extra ASUS P6T SE motherboard which came practically free as a bundle when I bought my processor. It wasn't exactly the motherboard I wanted, so I'm probably going to sell it on the internet.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 9:14:01 PM

Well that would be the first fan to experiment with if you have temperature issues when running dual cards.
m
l
!