I'm Not Sure What I Need To Upgrade

I've had my computer for a few years now and never really used it for gaming. However my friend bought an extra copy of The Orange Box on steam for his friend. But that friend never got his computer so he gave it to me. So I decided to try it out after seeing I meet all of the "Minimmum Settings" for the game, however, the display and frame rate in all the games (Half-Life 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2) is AWFUL. The games are really not even playable and I was wondering what you guys think might be the problem.

My computer has

A Pentium 4 3.00 GHz CPU,

Just a little over a gig of RAM,

and the video card is where I think the problem is probably at.

I'm using the stock Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family that came with my computer which isn't the most powerful video card. It has 256 MB of Video Memory and supports Pixel Shader Version 2.0.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone needs more details on my system specs, I will be glad to post them. Thanks (:
1 answer Last reply
More about upgrade
  1. Yes the onboard is horrible, but your CPU and RAM are poor also. If you had the means the best solution would be to start over and buld a new rig for yourself. I am going to assume you arent in a position to do that right now. Do you have any idea what type of video card slot you have. I'm guessing it is AGP. If it is AGP, cards that can run a game are pretty slim now days. The card in the link I am attaching requires a minimim of a 400 watt PSU.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161337
    I didn't see where you listed your PSU specs. You would need to check that before you buy anything. It should be on the side of the power supply. I bet its around 300 to 350 watts. So you would likely need to upgrade the PSU as well.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256061
    Something like the above PSU would be more than enough.
    Keep in mind that you're into this way too many $$$ if you buy the stuff listed. Just these two items are worth more than your whole rig right now.
    also, you might be able to find a decent AGP card on craigslist or ebay, but you will still more than likely need to upgrade your PSU too. My best advice is to save the money and buy oarts as you can. You can build a pretty good system with upgrade potential for 600 hundy or so.
    Good Luck
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Computer Systems Product