mcbane

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Approximate Purchase Date: within next month

Budget Range: $1000ish

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, and those listed below if will work

Preferred Website for Parts: Newegg

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: any that work together

Overclocking: prob. not

SLI or Crossfire: , depends on ease of setup

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: have the following parts I would like to reuse...

- Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

- Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive (2 of these in raid 0 currently)

- SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner With LightScribe Technology

also have a big side panel for the thermaltake case with a fan on it.

would like to reuse what I can, but want a SSD for the operating system and the HDDs for just data, am open to anything or ideas in general, dont know where to start, would like Nvidia and Intel chipsets as I know them the best, but have been out of the loop for a bit tech wise...appreciate any help for good compatability, etc..

thanks in advance:)

mcbane

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
not lookin for SOTA here, need to get a machine that works and can get me back in the saddle playin wise.

so when they launch the newer i5 and i7s it will drop the price of what is out there, or they are SO much better that it will be worth it?

still, I need a place to start, lol...

thanks, tryin to convince my wife this is the way to go instead of buying a prebuilt and going that route:)

^ The new Core i5(i5 2500K) will cost about ~$216, which will replace the i5 760,...
And as for how they perform, check this -
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833.html
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=664&Itemid=63

As for the video card, both ATI and Nvidia have very good offerings,... ATI - HD 6870, 6950
Nvidia - GTX 460s, GTX 570 and probably by Jan 25th the GTX 560

mcbane

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
so an i5 with this new SB that gkay was talking about with a "nice" vid card would work flawlessly? I am looking for something that will last me a good 2+ years playing most games at "high" settings.....figure 4-6 gigs ram and a good moboard will be needed also...guess I dont know how much of a difference in "gaming" performance the i5-i7 chipsets are, but getting the most bang for my buck is what I am looking for...

thanks for the help already guyz:)