Sparked and died, Now system won't display video

metalwarcow

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I am attempting to build a desktop for the first time and have run into a problem.

I began by doing a bench test with the CPU, memory, and video installed. I was able to log into the BIOS so everything seemed in order. I then attached the motherboard to the case and reran the same test, with the same successful result.

I then connected the rest of the system (DVD Drive, HDD, front panel connectors) to the motherboard and attempted to boot-up. The system began to start up, but then sparked somewhere on the motherboard near the CPU and died after about 2 seconds. There was a slight but distinct smoke smell coming from the motherboard.

I immediately removed the motherboard and attempted to bench test it. The fans all begin to spin, but there is no video output to my monitor and there are no beeps. The system does beep if I remove the memory. It does not beep if I remove the video card.

I assume the motherboard is shot, but I am not really sure how to confirm this. I do not have any spare part available, as this is my first desktop. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The Build:
HAF 932 Case
Asus P6T Motherboard
Intel i7 950 CPU
Corsair HX3 x12GB Ram
Sapphire Radeon HD 5970
Corsair CMPSU-750TX Power Supply
Intel X-25 M Solid State HD 80GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD Burner

metalwarcow

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I attempted to find the source of the smell, but could not. There are no visible burn marks that I can find, though I expect that is hardly comprehensive of the damage that could have been done.

I believe I had the post in correctly. For this board there should have been 9?

What is the typical damage of a shorted board? Is it basically garbage or can is sometime be salvaged?

any Arctic Silver thermal paste involved for cpu/heat sink?

We will hope this is simply a bad MB, RMA it....

As for standoff posts, as long as they match the holes with the MB, you should be ok.....ensure there are no extras in case, ....disastrous!