Dell Latitude CPxJ Backlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

I posting here in the hope that someone can help me with troubleshooting my
display problems. The LCD on my Dell Latitude laptop sometimes goes really
dim, at first I though it had "gone dead" but on closer inspection the
display was just extremely dark. From reading that I've done it's probably
either the invertor or backlight. How do I diagnose the fault? I've taken
the display apart once and after that it seemed to be fixed but the problem
has recently returned - could it be a loose connection or do bulbs that or
on the out also intermittently work and then not work?

Thanks for any help.

John.

Mike

Splendid

John Smith wrote:
> I posting here in the hope that someone can help me with troubleshooting my
> display problems. The LCD on my Dell Latitude laptop sometimes goes really
> dim, at first I though it had "gone dead" but on closer inspection the
> display was just extremely dark. From reading that I've done it's probably
> either the invertor or backlight. How do I diagnose the fault? I've taken
> the display apart once and after that it seemed to be fixed but the problem
> has recently returned - could it be a loose connection or do bulbs that or
> on the out also intermittently work and then not work?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> John.

There's (often) a transformer and a series cap in the high voltage end.
I've seen both go thermally intermittent.
mike

..
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

"mike" <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote in message
> John Smith wrote:
>> I posting here in the hope that someone can help me with troubleshooting
>> my display problems. The LCD on my Dell Latitude laptop sometimes goes
>> really dim, at first I though it had "gone dead" but on closer inspection
>> the display was just extremely dark. From reading that I've done it's
>> probably either the invertor or backlight. How do I diagnose the fault?
>> I've taken the display apart once and after that it seemed to be fixed
>> but the problem has recently returned - could it be a loose connection or
>> do bulbs that or on the out also intermittently work and then not work?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> John.
>
> There's (often) a transformer and a series cap in the high voltage end.
> I've seen both go thermally intermittent.
> mike

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there any way to test to see whether these are faulty? I'm not that
familiar with laptop internals so are the transformer and series cap easily
identifiable?

Just change the inverter and dont try measuring the output side of
this. Unless you have a DVM with 2k capable on AC or a high voltage
probe.. These are a cheap item and its more common than a backlight
on this model