First Time Gaming PC Builder - Suggestions???

mitchraabe

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hi,

I am intending to purchase the individual components and build myself a new gaming PC.
At the momenty I have a rough idea of the parts that I want to use, so I was hoping you all might be able to give me a bit of your feedback on the parts and any suggestions for improvements.

At this stage the total build is at $849 AUD, this is getting bits from different sites that are on special.

CPU: i5 760 Intel 2.8ghz. (intend to overclock slightly, maybe up to 3.2??)

MoBo: ASRock P55Pro P55 DDR3 Motherboard.

Power Supply: Antec HCG-520 High Current Gamer PSU.

Case: Antec Three Hundred. (comes with 1 rear and 1 top fan)

HDD: Patriot Inferno SSD 60GB (I have a 1TB external HDD that I plan to take the 3.5" out of an fit to this pc, but ive been told the SSD HDD's are great for quick boot up and program loading.

Bluray: Sony Bluray Combo Drive. (not important, used seldom)

Graphics Card: Gigabyte 1GB 5770 PCI-E VGA Card.

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB Kit(2Gx2) DDR3 1600 RAM.

I have a mouse, keyboard, monitor and cables etc.

Any help you could give would be gretly appreciated.

Cheers, Mitch

Solution
HD6870 if you can go as high as $240; 1GB GTX460 otherwise ($190-$200).
For raw performance, Intel CPUs are superior, and they use less power in the process of beating AMD. AMD performance tends to be sufficient, however, as most of the emphasis in games is on the GPU; and AMD is cheaper. If you can afford it, definitely get SB, but if not do not fear that an AMD system will simply come up lame for games.
What is the resolution of your monitor? If it is 1920x1080 (or higher), you may want a stronger video card. That will improve your overall gaming experience more than a SB CPU, although IF you can get SB for the same price, it's a no-brainer.

mitchraabe

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks, what video card would you recomend?

What is the comparison like between AMD and Intel, as I have seen that the top end AMD Phenom 2 black edition 965 Quad cores are cheaper than the i5, with seemingly better numbers...(more ghz, better ability to overclock)

HD6870 if you can go as high as $240; 1GB GTX460 otherwise ($190-$200).
For raw performance, Intel CPUs are superior, and they use less power in the process of beating AMD. AMD performance tends to be sufficient, however, as most of the emphasis in games is on the GPU; and AMD is cheaper. If you can afford it, definitely get SB, but if not do not fear that an AMD system will simply come up lame for games.

Solution

mitchraabe

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I will bide my time and wait for the new Intel model. At the very least they might drop the price of the current model a fraction.

Cheers