Budget Range: $2,500 Before

System Usage from Most to Least :gaming, video rendering, surfing

Parts Not Required: mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: us

Parts Preferences: none
Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: (1920x1080, 1920x1200)

Additional Comments: I want to brag for a while

My current computer hasn't worked since I last tried to update my nvidia drivers (gpu & chipset). I had no Internet connectivity as soon as I booted up. This happened months ago, and now instead of fixing it, I want a completely new rig from scratch. My old rig is run on windows xp 32-bit, 680 sli mobo, 2gb ram, 8800gts, intel q6600 with custom cooling, and an antec 900 case. Older games ran ok until newer ones made me realize how slow my system actually were compared to the machines of today. Anyway, long story short, I want to come back to the pc gaming scene.

I've got $2,500 to spend for a new build. I'm going to need everything starting from a mouse pad to a computer desk, but you guys can just help me with the PC and the contents that will go inside of it. Since I've been out of the loop I don't know what GPU CPU MOBO RAM combo would be best for today's standards. I was looking at Alienware's area 51 $4k+ system (ridiculous and trust me, I hate prebuilt systems as much as you do) to get an idea of what hardware I could be looking at.

It did score some insane scores on benchmarks from various websites though. I really got sucked into the whole 6 core idea after checking out the specs, but the cheapest I've seen it was for $999.99 which is kind of crazy considering my budget. Is the i7 980 x that much better than the other i7 CPUs? I'm not an OC pro, but I'd like to do some OCing for my future build.

Again, basing my opinions off of the stupid alienware pc, I saw they had dual ati hd 5970s. Like I said, I don't know which gpu is the best for the buck right now. 6800 series? Or maybe go with nvidia again?

Anyway, I'll leave the rest up to you guys. I want stable and fast ram, windows 7, a nice case (I like antec 1200), x58 mobo (idk, stole idea from alienware again), blu-ray drive, fast hard drives. Keyboard mouse and LCD, I can search for, but if you'd like to recommend some I'm open for it. Like I said, budget $2.5k including 24-27" LCD screen and workstation. I can go a little over if it's worth it.

Bottom line: I want to be able to run Photoshop, iTunes, and dozens of other programs while I game and not lose performance. I want to run games like CoD, L4D, CSS, BF BC2, crysis, FC2, and just about anything at top frame rates on max settings. I also want this to be a stable system, so I don't just want the best parts for my money, but I want the best parts that are known to work well with each other. I want to have bragging rights for a while so let's pick something that's going to last a while.

Thanks in advance.

More about : gaming rig advice

January 6, 2011 9:55:16 AM

Intel has just launched their new line of CPUs - SandyBridge - Core i5 and Core i7s CPUs, they should be available in a few days time, so I would suggest you look into those,... As for their performance, here are a few reviews,...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...
http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7...
So you get nearly the performance of that 980X 6-Core for 1/3rd the price with the i7 2600K CPUs,...

GPU - If you want to go full fledged gaming, then maybe GTX 570 SLI or HD 69xx Crossfire,...

PSU - On the safer side, 850W(Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone, XFX, PCP&S, Cooler Master Silent PRO) would be good enough for an overclocked PC with dual graphic cards,...

and video rendering ? PRO stuffs or just a side ? If the PC will be used for professional purposes and willing to spend on a very good monitor, then you can check out this one,...
Dell UltraSharp U2711 27-in 2560 x 1440 (WQHD) LCD Monitor
30% coupon code: X$0SQC0B7J0JBN
But will expire soon after limited usage,...
January 6, 2011 10:05:57 AM

Thanks for the reply. As for video rendering, just side.

I've been reading about SB the last few hours and I'm definitely going to wait for it. I save big and could use some of the savings for better parts or something. Maybe a sound card..

What mobos are known to work well with the upcoming CPU?
Related resources
January 6, 2011 10:21:08 AM

^ Newer mobos will be launched alongside those CPUs, but you could find reviews of those,... Search for P67 boards,...
January 6, 2011 10:34:18 AM

Crysis is still the Big Dog of gaming benchmarks, IMO....

A single GTX580 does well, but a pair of 570s in SLI should give consistent 45-50 fps....if you truly want maxed AA/AF settings, think about the 580, but it is not cheap.
January 6, 2011 8:19:07 PM

Thanks. If the sandybridg is actually 1/3 cheaper than the 980x, then I can either save big or get something else that I need.
I guess when SB is officially out, I'll start putting a rig together that goes perfect with each component. I've had bad luck when it comes to building systems. I'll get everything that's "the best" at the time, but just putting together the best hardware doesn't mean it's going to be stable. I've had to replace bad ram sticks, upgrade CPU to a quad because it was released a week after I built the rig (only had dual core). So I'm looking for the best hardware along with stability. I hate BSODs, and hardware failure was one of the biggest errors I had to deal with.
January 7, 2011 2:09:19 AM

^ SSDs would be a very good addition,...
As for the build, when are you planning to build the PC ? After the launch, wait for a few days before buying to see the customer reviews of the products that will be launched, will give you the potential issues if any,...
January 8, 2011 5:51:32 AM

I was thinking about building it asap but after hearing and reading about SB I'm gonna wait a little more. I get to save money and build a better rig, what beats that?

I want to have the fastest and also completely stable machine, even after overclocking. Stability is my key focus besides performance. My past machines were always "fast" for their time, but I used to get lots of Bsod's from hardware issues and OS problems.. I want to start fresh and stay fresh for a while, and if I do have to upgrade it will only be the graphics card.. Cuz like I read, nvidia and ati are 1 year behind intel right now, so we don't get the full benefits just yet.
!