Will the power supply work outside the case?

ichis_ghost

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I recently bought an Acer AX3400, has some nice specs (for the price) but an integrated GPU. I was planning on upgrading it, that was untill I opened the case... the PSU is only 220w and is a very odd shape and the case looks designed to only fit that PSU. However I really cant be doing with an integrated GPU, I want to run atleast a HD5570. So I'm wondering if I can buy a PSU and run it outside of the case, I was told that it was grounded to the case, will that be a problem?

Here is a pic of it so you know what I mean:

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m600/Ichis_Ghost/GEDC0018.jpg

Shot answer, Yes you can do that. Might take a little work.
As to grounding all you would need to do is take a wire put two spade lug on. attach to the PSU mounting screw and the other end to a mounting screw on the case.

Before you do that. Take the measurements of the old psu and compare to this
5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) x 6.3"(L) . This is for the corsair 430 W PSU. The Width and Height sould be very simular between lower watage PSU.

If you have to run it outside the case - Possible??? If there are screw hole on the bottom ., Mount it to the Side (just do not block the PSU Fan). need to drill holes for the mounting screws and a larger hole to run the cables thru. That would also solve the grounding problem.

xerb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
DONT WORRY! I had the exact same computer! Radeon 5570 low profile is the best card you can fit in there. However, get the Radeon 5570 Silent. It is a low power GPU. My computer had no problems what so ever. The Radeon 5570 Silent only consumes 50 watts.