Does Crossfire need a bridge like SLI?

I am putting together a computer for my dad with 2 hd4870s because he wants 2 monitor set up and the capability to play PC games. Does he need some sort of crossfire bridge like you do in SLI for Nvidia? When he uses them for multi-monitor will it give him the crossfire power or will each monitor have the power of one hd4870?

Most ATI cards come with bridges as far as I'm aware. They always came with ATI cards I've purchased.

2 monitor support for your desktop is not the same as eyefinity, which does need one of the 5xxx or 6xxx cards.

Also, Crossfire does not function in windowed mode. When he's using his monitors for his extended desktop, it will not be using crossfire.

Crossfire will work when he's in fullscreen mode playing a game. However, that fullscreen will only be 1 monitor, which ever is his primary display.

jimmyzline

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Crossfire bridge is being included with the card less and less. Last two cards I bought did not come with it (Thanx a lot XFX). Just make sure they are included. They may come packaged with the mobo as well.

I believe it may be possible, but he could not use 4 monitors and Crossfire at the same time. While in Crossfire mode, only 1 card's ports are usable. If 4 monitors can work, crossfire would have to be disabled, so you can use them independantly.

notty22

Distinguished

Imho, it was XFX and newegg that started omitting the bridges with ATI cards. Probably to shave a few dollars off.
They historically came with every ATI card, and you got your SLI bridge with your m/b purchase.