Re-sizing picture

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 25, 2005 9:40:55 PM

I took a picture with my 5 MP camera and sent it by e-mail to a friend who
has dial up. It took her so long to down load it she finally gave up. Is
there any way to re-size it to make e-mailing easier. Do I have to buy
special software. I'm using Windows XP and I have Nikon software that came
with my camera

Thanks,

--
Jim,

More about : sizing picture

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:40:56 PM

Windows XP automatically resizes an image if you right click and click
Send to>Mail recipient if you haven't told it to never ask you again it
will ask if you want to resize. That will help. But you will loose a
lot of quality.

Another option would be Zipping the picture or compressing it using
some compression software but that will require software.

You could also push your friend a bit to join the big boys on
broadband.

:D
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:40:56 PM

I don't know what software came with your camera - but PaintShopPro
(www.jasc.com) can be downloaded as a free trial.

I would recommend cropping, resizing, and then saving as a medium
quality JPEG file before you send it through email.

Or better still sign up with one of the online photogallery services,
upload your picture there, (still reducing it's size) and then send
your friend a link, rather than an E-mail attachment.

Much quicker.

January 25, 2005 9:40:56 PM

Use Picassa from Google. The software has an email option that makes
the file really small, but still viewable.
January 25, 2005 9:40:56 PM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:40:55 GMT, Jim L wrote:

> I took a picture with my 5 MP camera and sent it by e-mail to a friend who
> has dial up. It took her so long to down load it she finally gave up. Is
> there any way to re-size it to make e-mailing easier.

If this is going to be a regular thing for you, JpegSizer is designed to
make preparing email versions of hi-res images as painless as possible.

Free trial download at

http://jpegsizer.tangotools.com

HTH

Pete
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:40:56 PM

Go to the Microsoft Download website and search for Power Toys (for XP).
Download the Image Resizer Power Toy. After installing, when you
right click an image file you will see a resize picture option. You get
a choice of 4 sizes--the smallest is good for email. The resized image
is saved as a copy so you still have the original.

Ken

Jim L wrote:
> I took a picture with my 5 MP camera and sent it by e-mail to a friend who
> has dial up. It took her so long to down load it she finally gave up. Is
> there any way to re-size it to make e-mailing easier. Do I have to buy
> special software. I'm using Windows XP and I have Nikon software that came
> with my camera
>
> Thanks,

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:40:56 PM

Jim L wrote:
> I took a picture with my 5 MP camera and sent it by e-mail to a
> friend who has dial up. It took her so long to down load it she
> finally gave up. Is there any way to re-size it to make e-mailing
> easier. Do I have to buy special software. I'm using Windows XP and
> have Nikon software that came with my camera
>
> Thanks,

I hate to admit it but Microsoft has a perfectly good free resizer
included in Power Toys (just do a Google search for the download
site). Once installed, it becomes an option when you right-click on
the file.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Is there any way to re-size .. to make e-mailing easier. Do I have to buy
special software.

Freeware
http://www.virtualzone.de for resizer
allows % or actual pixel size choices
save to a particular directory - like a folder for resized only
allows for renaming or same name or numerical
stand alone little software

Also
FastStone Photo Resizer (FastStone viewer is pretty good too)
http://www.FastStone.org

There is a little more scope in the above than the quick and easy Right
Click Resize mentioned in the other posts

Rose
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:40:57 PM

dragko@gmail.com writes:

> Windows XP automatically resizes an image if you right click and click
> Send to>Mail recipient if you haven't told it to never ask you again it
> will ask if you want to resize. That will help. But you will loose a
> lot of quality.

For email purposes, that should be fine. Reduce the size to something like
900x600 which will allow a decent amount of detail, can be printed as a 4x6
picture at 150 dpi, and is viewable on most monitors (though older 800x600
monitors will have to scroll a bit).

> Another option would be Zipping the picture or compressing it using
> some compression software but that will require software.

This typically doesn't buy you much space savings, since jpg files are
typically compressed any way. My Olympus RAW files on the other hand do save a
bit of space.

> You could also push your friend a bit to join the big boys on
> broadband.

Or burn a CD, and mail the CD in an appropriate holder of the pictures.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

Jim L wrote in message ...
> Is there any way to re-size it to make e-mailing easier.

Here's a link to various simple free downloads called jpeg sizer (whatever)
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=jpeg+sizer&meta

Any of those will do what you want to do quite simply.

--
Regards ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK.
Bike - http://www.F650.co.uk

Thank You all for your help

<kasterborus@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I don't know what software came with your camera - but PaintShopPro
> (www.jasc.com) can be downloaded as a free trial.
>
> I would recommend cropping, resizing, and then saving as a medium
> quality JPEG file before you send it through email.
>
> Or better still sign up with one of the online photogallery services,
> upload your picture there, (still reducing it's size) and then send
> your friend a link, rather than an E-mail attachment.
>
> Much quicker.

January 25, 2005 11:10:49 PM

"Trevor George" <trevor@NOSPAMonmywindow.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o NwJd.180$5S5.61@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Jim L wrote in message ...
> > Is there any way to re-size it to make e-mailing easier.
>
> Here's a link to various simple free downloads called jpeg sizer
(whatever)
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=jpeg+sizer&meta
>
> Any of those will do what you want to do quite simply.
>
> --
> Regards ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK.
> Bike - http://www.F650.co.uk
> Home - http://www.PoolesWharf.com
> Work - http://www.OnMyWindow.co.uk

Not sure about the above shareware software, but what I do is resize an
image in my software to pixel dimensions, somewhere around 400 pixels width
typically. That is the real solution. Unfortunately, my software is not
shareware.

PSsquare
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:12:16 AM

"Jim L" <pcv@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I took a picture with my 5 MP camera and sent it by e-mail to a friend who
> has dial up. It took her so long to down load it she finally gave up. Is
> there any way to re-size it to make e-mailing easier. Do I have to buy
> special software. I'm using Windows XP and I have Nikon software that came
> with my camera
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> Jim,

Irfan View,
Entirely free with very adaptable and comprehensive resizing and lots more
http://www.irfanview.com/

Jem
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:12:17 AM

Picasa2 from Google .. free and potent!

http://www.picasa.com/index.php

Will
--
"The members of the Golden Brigade Chapter of the 82nd Airborne Division
Association all served with the 82nd Airborne in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969.

"Jem Raid" <jemraid@removethisbtinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Jim L" <pcv@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > I took a picture with my 5 MP camera and sent it by e-mail to a friend
who
> > has dial up. It took her so long to down load it she finally gave up. Is
> > there any way to re-size it to make e-mailing easier. Do I have to buy
> > special software. I'm using Windows XP and I have Nikon software that
came
> > with my camera
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > --
> > Jim,
> >

> Irfan View,
> Entirely free with very adaptable and comprehensive resizing and lots more
> http://www.irfanview.com/
>
> Jem

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 4:51:32 PM

>From: Michael Meissner mrmnews@the-meissners.org
>Date: 1/25/2005 3:07 PM Central Standard Time

>For email purposes, that should be fine. Reduce the size to something like
>900x600 which will allow a decent amount of detail, can be printed as a 4x6
>picture at 150 dpi, and is viewable on most monitors (though older 800x600
>monitors will have to scroll a bit).

For emailing, I reduce the image to 640x480 which fits nicely in almost all
email readers. After experimenting with various jpg quality levels, I ended up
using "3" which is a high "low" res jpg image in Photoshop Elements. Those
receiving the email couldn't tell the difference between the level "3" and
higher resolution images. This would not be very good for sending images to be
printed, but works well for images to be viewed on PC monitors.

Ron
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:53:14 PM

Wow....Picasa is fantastic...thanks for recommending it
Jim

"Will" <noboby@nunaya.biz> wrote in message
> Picasa2 from Google .. free and potent!
>
> http://www.picasa.com/index.php
>
> Will
> --
> "The members of the Golden Brigade Chapter of the 82nd Airborne Division
> Association all served with the 82nd Airborne in Vietnam from 1968 to
1969.
> They were victorious in their every battle and wish to honor the 223
fellow
> troopers that will remain "Forever Young". Please visit their official
> website at www.goldenbrigade.org to learn more of their history".
>
> "Jem Raid" <jemraid@removethisbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jim L" <pcv@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > I took a picture with my 5 MP camera and sent it by e-mail to a friend
> who
> > > has dial up. It took her so long to down load it she finally gave up.
Is
> > > there any way to re-size it to make e-mailing easier. Do I have to buy
> > > special software. I'm using Windows XP and I have Nikon software that
> came
> > > with my camera
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >

> > > --
> > > Jim,
> > >

> > Irfan View,
> > Entirely free with very adaptable and comprehensive resizing and lots
more
> > http://www.irfanview.com/
> >
> > Jem

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 6:46:05 AM

In message <1106679065.037720.75930@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
dragko@gmail.com wrote:

>Another option would be Zipping the picture or compressing it using
>some compression software but that will require software.

That doesn't work with JPEGs. It may even make them larger.
--

John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
!