kmaster224

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I've got an Intel i5-2500K processor, a GTX 570 HD Superclocked graphics card, and a Z68A-D3-B3 motherboard from Gigabyte. As of now I have the 8gb of 1600 mhz ram that came with my system. But the 2500K only accepts up to 1333 mhz ram. How can I let the processor accept a higher mhz ram?

raptor2022

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
The thing is that the i5 only officially supports up to 1333MHz. The funny thing, the same is true for the i7-2600k :)

The motherboard needs to support it. Yours does. You would need to set it manually in your BIOS however. If you had a P67 motherboard you would be able to enable XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) which would automatically change the RAM to 1600.

I don't think the Z68 boards have this feature (I think. Check your BIOS and manual)

But let me be honest. I have run my system (i7-2600) with the ram set to 1600 and 1333 and have seen absolutely zero performance increase/decrease in games. The different speeds just doesn't seem to make a difference at all. Maybe perhaps with RAM intensive applications (rendering software etc) it would make an actual difference.

Gaming doesn't take advantage of higher performance RAM. The only serious performance increase I remember is compression. Also, XMP doesn't set RAM to 1600MHz unless it is supposed to because XMP is different for different modules. Some have it at 1866MHz or even 2133MHz. You might want to know that not all modules suport XMP.

RAM can be overclocked just like the CPU can be, with the BLCK (shared with the CPU, among other components) and it's own multiplier.

raptor2022

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Hehe, I guess I could have been more specific a little. I was referring to the OP stating that he has 1600 RAM that he is not sure how to get to read at 1600 RAM. Just pointing out the fact that if he has a motherboard that has XMP in the BIOS that if he enables it, it will (should) auto set his RAM to it's true tested speed (in this case 1600) and that is if the RAM has X.M.P enabled. It should say on the box you got or you can check the manufacturers site to see the exact specs.

@OP: Blazorthon is right though, your RAM has to support XMP as well as the motherboard. Otherwise the option will not be available. Manually overclocking the RAM is also possible. I do know that when setting the RAM to 1600 or above (whether manually or via XMP), it requires the voltage to go from 1.5v to 1.65v. (Most BIOS and motherboards nowadays does this automatically when you change the RAM BLCK). While it's not a huge change, it can be potentially harmful for both your RAM and CPU if not cooled properly etc. 1333MHz is the main standard. Anything higher is actually "overclocked" and as is the case with any overclocked module, it must be properly cooled etc. But it shouldn't be a big problem since most RAM modules these days come with pretty good heatsinks and CPU's generally don't get too much hotter with the RAM at a faster speed. As long as you leave it at the speed the RAM is actually meant to be at (in this case max 1600). Don't push it over it's manufacturing limits unless you really know what you are doing.

Personally though I would suggest leaving it on 1333MHz if it's just for gaming. You won't see a difference. If you are using rendering and/or compression software a lot though, you will see a difference and will be happy with the results.

There should be a RAM overclocking tab inside the BIOS.

As both raptor2022 and I have stated their is absolutely no noticeable difference between standard RAM and overclocked RAM in gaming. I don't mean unnoticeable like a 4-5 FPS increase, I mean like a 0.1FPS increase between the standard modules and the fastest modules. Increased RAM speeds for gaming is a marketing gimmick to get gamers to spend even more money than they already do without giving them a better experience.

I still recommend a 1600MHz kit but only because they tend to be priced identically to the 1333MHz kits right now and there are even a few 1866MHz kits for the same price. You shouldn't spend more than $30 on 4GB, $50 on 8GB, or $90 on 16GB. For gaming I recommend 8GB of RAM because many recent games need more than 4GB.

wezzacas

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
skyrim wants 6 gig of ram but thaey have a crazy system (alot like crysis 1) where it renders as far as the eye can see, and you can climb all over it. there is no need to go for higher speeds then 1600mhz unless you just want to show off and say look what i got. obviasly in the futur games will need more random access memory to play smooth but for the time being and i would guess for the next 2-3 years you prop not guna need more the 8 gb. that said by the time you do i would imagen some new stupid speed of ram will be out and the 1600mhz varity will be a dime a dozen

in short 8 gb at 1322mhz is good and 1600mhz is enough

hope this helped