Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PSU + Case Question

Last response: in Components
March 31, 2011 7:41:00 PM

Community

I have an Antec Soho (1030 or 1040 - I'm at work right and thus can't check) case and I just picked up the following PSU:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1245&ID=18...

When I tried to install the PSU, it seemed too small. The screw holes that were present around the PSU opening for the case were not anywhere near any alignment the PSU could use. I was able to get two screws into the PSU through the case but in doing so am not able to put any other screws in anywhere. If you look at the tower with the PSU screwed in, there is a considerable gap of about a half inch to inch along the bottom of the PSU and along one vertical side whereas the PSU that came with the case (a 300W Antec PSU) fit perfectly.

I'm very new to PC building and have all the parts for my rig but am curious about if there are different sizes of PSUs? I stopped by a local retailer from which I bought the above PSU and took a look at some more standard Corsair PSUs but the guys there informed me that those PSUs would be the exact same size as the Black Widow I linked above.

What am I missing? Shouldn't the PSU completely cover the case opening on the back of the tower?

More about : psu case question

Best solution

a c 243 ) Power supply
April 1, 2011 12:10:38 AM

JoshDBoyle said:
Community

I have an Antec Soho (1030 or 1040 - I'm at work right and thus can't check) case and I just picked up the following PSU:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1245&ID=18...

When I tried to install the PSU, it seemed too small. The screw holes that were present around the PSU opening for the case were not anywhere near any alignment the PSU could use. I was able to get two screws into the PSU through the case but in doing so am not able to put any other screws in anywhere. If you look at the tower with the PSU screwed in, there is a considerable gap of about a half inch to inch along the bottom of the PSU and along one vertical side whereas the PSU that came with the case (a 300W Antec PSU) fit perfectly.

I'm very new to PC building and have all the parts for my rig but am curious about if there are different sizes of PSUs? I stopped by a local retailer from which I bought the above PSU and took a look at some more standard Corsair PSUs but the guys there informed me that those PSUs would be the exact same size as the Black Widow I linked above.

What am I missing? Shouldn't the PSU completely cover the case opening on the back of the tower?

Sounds like the psu mounting plate, take it off the old psu.
April 2, 2011 7:11:43 AM

Man do I ever feel stupid. That definitely was the case and just saved me around $100 as I was resigned to buying a new case that better fit the PSU. Clearly I'm very new to this.

Thanks for the help, delluser1! As for me, I'm going to go slap myself in the face a few times...
m
l
April 2, 2011 7:11:55 AM

Best answer selected by JoshDBoyle.
m
l
!