Sign in with
Your question

My imac hard drive is ticking

Last response: in CPUs
March 31, 2011 7:47:19 PM

Hello, my imac hard drive is ticking and I have no clue why...

Anyone have any ideas on how I can determine what the problem is?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2011 7:56:50 PM

By ticking what do you mean, a constant griiiiTICK-griiiiTICK-griiiiTICK-griiiiTICK as it spins up and fails to start!

or does the PC boot, into osx and you hear like grrttkatkk-ttkakak------grk-tkktk--grtakkk-tktk, random sequences of clicks as the head moves to read data from the Hard Drive!
March 31, 2011 8:03:58 PM

Anonymous said:
By ticking what do you mean, a constant griiiiTICK-griiiiTICK-griiiiTICK-griiiiTICK as it spins up and fails to start!

or does the PC boot, into osx and you hear like grrttkatkk-ttkakak------grk-tkktk--grtakkk-tktk, random sequences of clicks as the head moves to read data from the Hard Drive!

The computer is working fine....a little slow, but there is a constant ticking sound from it.......like as the hard drive is working all the time tick by tick.........a constant griiiiTICK-griiiiTICK-griiiiTICK-griiiiTICK. I am worried the it might crash.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2011 8:33:57 PM

I'm actually wondering what that is. It seems to happen after the hard drives get old; my 6+ year old hard drive has been doing it for awhile now, and it still runs fine. In fact, the 6+ year old drive is what I have my Windows install on. This other 2 year old HD still isn't doing it yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

The clicking-grinding noise only happens when the disk is reading/writing alot for me. I can especially notice it when defragmenting my drive.

@OP-If you leave the computer alone for awhile after booting up, does the clicking go away(due to it finally finishing the work)? I don't know what causes it, but it hasn't caused any problems for me yet; it's just a little annoying sometimes. ;) 
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2011 8:44:03 PM

I will guess your hard drive is going bad. The apple store will replace it for 300 dollars.
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2011 9:49:52 PM

Probably the click of death (or near it).Salvage (backup) what you can while it's still working.
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2011 10:35:38 PM

More often then not it means your HD is on its final leg. I have seen them last 2 hours - 6 months once the clicks of death have begun. Its a strong indicator that its time to back up anything important ASAP.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2011 10:58:25 PM

That does not bode well, I would back up all your data asap just on the safe side! are you able to make an Image of the HDD? If so get one ready for when it goes pop, then buy new drive replace and restore image!
March 31, 2011 11:33:44 PM

burn it then throw it in a dumpster and get a PC lol.

just back every things up ASAP onto an external drive and get a new drive off newegg for 40 bucks.
a c 126 à CPUs
April 1, 2011 4:39:19 AM

You are very lucky that its working still. Normally when a HDD starts making that sound, data is not easily recoverable. My suggestion is that you stop using it and take it to a Mac expert to look at data recovery and replacement.
April 1, 2011 6:46:19 AM

Haserath said:
I'm actually wondering what that is. It seems to happen after the hard drives get old; my 6+ year old hard drive has been doing it for awhile now, and it still runs fine. In fact, the 6+ year old drive is what I have my Windows install on. This other 2 year old HD still isn't doing it yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

The clicking-grinding noise only happens when the disk is reading/writing alot for me. I can especially notice it when defragmenting my drive.

@OP-If you leave the computer alone for awhile after booting up, does the clicking go away(due to it finally finishing the work)? I don't know what causes it, but it hasn't caused any problems for me yet; it's just a little annoying sometimes. ;) 

It does not stop if I leave the computer alone for awhile after booting........it's very annoying tick tick tick tick tick.....it's not like the youtube video that Haserath is asking about......like you say: the computer is working fine, but VERY annoying that sound and that I do not know what it is, I think that is bothering me the most. I have backe'd everything up I think I will replace the hard drive. I was also wondering if it could be the fan, I have not cleaned the fan and I think there is a lot of dust. (sorry about my english)
!