How do I add more RAM to an already-built computer?

Jineus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Hello,

I built my computer around a year ago by separately buying parts and then assembling them. However, I decided I wanted more RAM, so I bought the exact same RAM that is installed on my computer now.

The RAM arrived today, but I don't know how to install it. I mean, I know where it's suppose to go, and how to put it in, but I don't know if I am suppose to turn off the power before doing it, or maybe worry about static electricity before doing it, or just anything else.

Could you tell me the steps to installing more RAM to an already-assembled computer, and just anything that I should be worried/concerned about while installing?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
static electricity, always keep your arm planted to the case while working in it

is the ram dual or triple channel?
dual put it in the 2 open slots
triple put it in the 3 open slots
theres no specific order for them to go into

nna2

Distinguished
static electricity, always keep your arm planted to the case while working in it

is the ram dual or triple channel?
dual put it in the 2 open slots
triple put it in the 3 open slots
theres no specific order for them to go into

Solution

Jineus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

so should I just rest my elbow on the case while installing?

I don't know if it's dual or triple channel, but this is the RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276

AxemanACL

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

It is dual channel. I assume you have 2 free slots on the motherboard. So first turn off and then unplug your computer. Take off the side panel, then put the sticks of ram in. Boot up, and you are good to go. Ram is very simple.