Two computers stop working simultaneously (screen won't come on)

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I used my computer this morning and it was working perfectly fine. I left it on like I often do. This afternoon when I went to use the computer, the screen wouldn't turn on. I even tried manually restarting it. The fans and lights on the tower come on and the CD drive opens and closes, but the screen remains in sleep mode. I tried a separate monitor to no avail.

To make the system stranger, my other computer on the other side of the house is having the exact same problem. They both stopped working at the same time. The computers come on, but the screens remain in standby mode.

The only conclusion I could come up with is a power surge, but there are no other signs of a power outage. And both computers are using their own surge protectors.

Does anyone have any advice on what the problem might be?

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
That is odd and my first thought was also a power surge. Most of us have our PC's plugged into a surge protector yet leave our internet connection unprotected. If for example lightening were to hit the cable/phone line going into our homes most have little PC protection against its surge. Are both PC connected to the net with a wired connection? Just trying to eliminate that possibility.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Yes, they are both wired. Would there be anyway to test this? Would there be anything different with the router?

If the surge was through the Ethernet cables, would the computers experience the above symptoms?

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
You could try testing your modem/routers on someone elses PC and see if they still work. If they do not it would be a strong indicator that they got zapped. And yes it is possible to toast a motherboard with a surge over your cable/phone lines. Potential good news is some home insurance plans will cover such losses. If you find a power surge was the culprit you may check your policy.