Sign in with
Your question

If I got another radeon hd 5770 in crossfire, where would i bottleneck

Last response: in Components
March 31, 2011 9:55:06 PM

what would i need to upgrade if anything, if i got another radeon hd 5770 and put it in crossfire. bigger psu? is cpu good enough to not be big bottleneck?
March 31, 2011 9:55:35 PM

is my sig showing up to anyone else? it's supposed to have all my components
m
l
Related resources
March 31, 2011 11:38:43 PM

Hey,
It will improve things for you, but you will be getting held back by both your CPU(a little) and definetly losing some preformance from your motherboard. Your 2nd PCIE lane is only 4X.
You will still see an improvement of maybe 50-60 percent(I'm guessing) but you will not see scaling anywhere near as high as if you have a better quality motherboard. I would try to sell the 5770 and pick up something higher end you will have a better result with only one card.

Have fun.
m
l
March 31, 2011 11:40:24 PM

Quote:
cfx will bottleneck a tri core. Quad minimum for it.

You mean cf will be bottle necked by a tri core.

Try and unlock the 4th core if your mobo allows. Ifnit does or does not allow you to unlock try and oc the CPU. You should be able to getnit to 3.5-3.7 ghz which would help. Depending on your resolution and the games you play cf 5770 might not be held back much or at all by an OCd tri core
m
l
April 1, 2011 4:55:52 AM

is there a limit on sig characters?
m
l
April 1, 2011 5:00:11 AM

and if i got the card, would i really see up to 50% improvement without changing anything? I have a 450W psu
m
l
April 1, 2011 6:28:29 AM

Noone else seems to have mentioned this,
1. overclocking that cpu on the 450w? questionable for longterm stability
2. crossfire on that psu? I wouldn't if I were you...no,really I wouldn't
and,
3. probably the biggest issue you have is that that mobo only supports 16/4 crossfire, you will most likely find that your performance decreases, not increases,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news/crossfire dreams stomper, but you would be better off with a better single card (and beefier psu once funds permit)
just reread and Shane did actually point out the x4 lane issue :p 
I had a similar desire some time back,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/291669-10-crossfire...
but without a more powerful psu I couldn't test it,

Moto
m
l
April 1, 2011 1:34:55 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Noone else seems to have mentioned this,
1. overclocking that cpu on the 450w? questionable for longterm stability
2. crossfire on that psu? I wouldn't if I were you...no,really I wouldn't
and,
3. probably the biggest issue you have is that that mobo only supports 16/4 crossfire, you will most likely find that your performance decreases, not increases,
Sorry to bear the bearer of bad news/crossfire dreams stomper, but you would be better off with a better single card (and beefier psu once funds permit)
just reread and Shane did actually point out the x4 lane issue :p 
I had a similar desire some time back,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/291669-10-crossfire...
but without a more powerful psu I couldn't test it,

Moto

why did shane say i would see 50% performance increase when he knew about the x4 slot?? One of you must be wrong
m
l
April 1, 2011 1:51:09 PM

Quote:
What resolution do you play at?

yes there is a limit but put them next to each other not new line for every entry

1920x1080
m
l
!