Matched pair stability

raptor2022

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Hey guys and galz

Quick question:

I have a set of 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 matched pair RAM in my PC. I want to get more RAM, the idea is to get another set of 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 matched pair to put in to the other 2 RAM slots. The question is, is this considered "bad" (I use bad for lack of a better word)

I know that it would be ok if they were single sticks bought separately, but since the pairs are matched in factory, it would mean that even though they are same make, model, speed etc, that they are each a separate pair. Will this nullify the paired performance and cause stability issues? Or is it ok?

Otherwise I will just simply buy a 2x4GB set instead.

-------------------------------------------
Intel Core i7-2600
Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3
2x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
nVidia Leadtech GTX560Ti
-------------------------------------------

Solution
you should not have any problem with stability or performance at all, unless you are massively overclocking.

it is always best to get entire matched sets, and with memory prices being as low as they are now it probably wouldn't cost much more to get a pair of 4GB DIMMS, but that's between you and your budget.

Don't forget that if you go above 4GB of RAM you will have to switch to a 64-bit version of windows, or else your system will only recognize 4GB.

Also with your processor I would suggest 1600MHz, as it seems to be the "sweet spot" for Sandy Bridge processors. So, good job with the kit you have :) getting anything faster won't really yield you and performance differences.
you should not have any problem with stability or performance at all, unless you are massively overclocking.

it is always best to get entire matched sets, and with memory prices being as low as they are now it probably wouldn't cost much more to get a pair of 4GB DIMMS, but that's between you and your budget.

Don't forget that if you go above 4GB of RAM you will have to switch to a 64-bit version of windows, or else your system will only recognize 4GB.

Also with your processor I would suggest 1600MHz, as it seems to be the "sweet spot" for Sandy Bridge processors. So, good job with the kit you have :) getting anything faster won't really yield you and performance differences.

Solution