Nvidia - Bulldozer owns Sandy Bridge in gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Like I tried to tell you in the last bulletin, you have to look for the little things and build up a picture.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20110331095658_Nvidia_Wants_Multi_GPU_SLI_Technology_on_AMD_FX_Bulldozer_Platforms_Slides.html

Nvidia does plan to enable SLI on AMD 900-series platforms, which may mean that the company expects AMD's forthcoming FX-series "Bulldozer" chips to offer great performance in games.

The picture is getting clearer and clearer.

I really don't see how this implies that Bulldozer is faster than Sandy Bridge. I think that what it implies is that Nvidia wants to sell more GPUs, and since they're pretty much out of the chipset business, enabling SLI on as many systems as possible eliminates one of the reasons why Nvidia GPUs were not ideal in the past (on non-SLI capable systems).

(I might point out that Nvidia is also enabling SLI on all Sandy chipsets...)

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Interesting. But all you can do is wait for BD to see how it really performs. I'm honestly a bit skeptical that it'll own SB, but we'll see.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

I really don't see how this implies that Bulldozer is faster than Sandy Bridge.
+1

BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA i love bob.. He's such a moronic fanboy
+1

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
From a personal experience, I don't think my AMD MB is crappy. But back on topic, I like AMD and their proc's but I really doubt BD can take Sandy. BD looks to have potential, I'm just not sure it has that much potential. But we'll see.............

christop

Distinguished
Damn this chip isn't even out yet and AMD fan boys are raving. It's funny to me how people speculate that bd is going to bust Intel. First you are kinda late most people who are into tech have sb chips. I guess you think people will change and go with something that under performs what they have currently. I will join in with Psycho a laugh...

fatsoferret

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Lol i think all this fanboy stuff is funny, even if BDZ pops sandys bubble, intel will just release something that beats AMDs offerings, and the cycle will continue.

I am gonna toss in my 2 cents worth of AMD, since I have not owned anything Intel since about 1995. I swore back then I would never, ever give them another dime of my money, but hey, that is just me.
But, I do agree with you all that just because NV may decide to license SLI to AMD doesn't mean AMD's future offerings are going to be extraordinary. Maybe, hopefully they will, but I won't hold my breath.

Yet another random quote from you.

Hey mods, change the title or put this guy in time out. Hes posting these with false titles.

So bob, you want to know what its really about? Money. The only reason people buy nVidia mobos is for SLI. Not the overclocking or the stability. SLI. If you compare chipsets from AMD, Intel and nVidia the wuality always goes:

Intel>AMD>nVidia. Most people who buy a AMD CPU want a AMD chipset and therefore go with a ATI GPU since CFX is all thats available. Now nVidia will probably sell many more GPUs.

Its just like with Intel CPUs. You buy a Intel CPU, the best chipset to get is a Intel chipset. nVidia knows that their chipsets are crap.

Its not that bulldozer will be better than SB, which BTW already supports SLI and CFX so does that mean SB is automatically better than Phenom II? No. But the performance of SB does.

How about instead of posting flaim enducing threads you just post the info without drooling all over a CPU that we have very little info about?

Its just like Barcelona all over again, aka K10. There were fanboys who drolled all over its specs. That was a interesting release.

G

As long as it does not bottleneck future GPUs I'm fine if bulldozer is slower than sandy bridge

Pc Guru_07

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

. :pfff:

HighPies

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
It must just come out already and be cheap, idc if its a few seconds worse in rendering things, or 1-3 fps in games slower, as long as its cheap, has a long socket life, OC nice and better than my cruddy athlon i'll buy it. I looked at a intel setup to replace mine which will be cpu, mobo and new ram........to much money, more than half of what my hole current system cost xD.

BTW i am cheap, 17 working a part time job i need the cheap stuff to game :D

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
The title is misleading, just like someone else who started a thread saying that next gen or the gen after that GPU being 10x more powerful than the most powerful GPU available now :) .

Until the rubber meets the pavement I don't even read about SPECULATIVE performance. It's like when someone reviews a game and says how awesome it is before it is even released.

Much of what is available comes filtered through a MARKETING team, not an engineering one, so immediately much credibility is lost.

Speaking of lost credibility, the SB error will hurt Intel, but they are taking steps to recover. Another reason that SB is not in such high demand? The previous gen processors are still great and many probably aren't going to take a +1 upgrade.

And I'm not an Intel fan-boy, I've owned an Athlon K7, Athlon Thunderbird, Athlon XP Thoroughbred, and Athlon 64 X2 Windsor 4600+, and Athlon 64 X2 Brisbane 6000+. The only Intel cpus I've used are Pentium 100 MHz, Core 2 Duo Mobile, and my current i7-930.

I hope that Bulldozer at least performs at a good price per performance to compete with Sandy Bridge as competition is a great thing. Let's revisit this topic AFTER Bulldozer is released and continue the discussion.

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hey it's all just speculation, it's supposed to be fun. It's just too bad most of the intel fanboy crowd can't even take it like that.

siroz99

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I wish, but realistically speaking I don't think that's going to happen. It's going to be a hell of a performer, though.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I definitely enjoy 'discussion' about upcoming products (cars, CPUs, GPUs, etc.), but I don't give too much credence to advance information from the releasing company. I usually read the 'spy' information from the internet, first.

More 'on-topic' though, I don't think enabling SLI definitely means they expect Bulldozer to crush SB, but they want to appeal to a wider audience. To any NVIDIA die-hard, not being able to run SLI could be a deal breaker and make them go Intel.

Berger said AMD at the same time has had to deal with a sluggish overall PC market, and that AMD isn’t likely to see a major boost in sales from Intel’s mistake.

Yea another taken out of context. The entire notebook market is sluggish.

And last time I checked, AMD has nothing on SB in the notebook market.

Speculation is one thing. Posting things with pure BS is another. You do the latter.

Intel has had SLI since the 5 series chipsets. Does that means Intel has always had better performance? No. It just means that nVidia played it smart to sell more GPUS.

Thats what they are doing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.