Sign in with
Your question

[New Build] My First "High-End" Splurge System - Experts Needed

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2011 5:23:58 PM

Hey forum people! First off, thank you to everyone who contributes in this forum; I've learned a ton of stuff from reading a bunch of different threads.

I'm currently in the process of building a new system and would like to gather some opinions to make sure I have all the bases covered. I have built some systems before, recently a AMD dual core (unlocked to quad) for my sister but this build will be for me and will be the first time I splurge a little to get the best system I can for the budget. Have done some mild overclocking but usually through software (still trying to wrap my head around meaning of Bios variables)

[Location]: Ohio, USA (I will have to say I'm from Pittsburgh but moved here for a job, Go Steelers!)
[Build Time Line]: ASAP

[Budget]: $2,000 Strict(OS and software all excluded)
[Purpose]: Visual Studio 2010, CS5 (Web Dev, Photography), Multiple OS, Typical Uses, Mild-Medium Gaming
[Intent]: Medium overclocking of CPU (not doing any kind of crazy benchmarking)
[OS]: Windows 7 Pro (Possibly Multi-boot in the future)

Components Purchased:
[CPU]: Intel Core i7-950
[Graphics]: EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 (x2)
[Display]: ASUS VE247H (x3)

Components Remaining:
[Tower]: COOLER MASTER HAF 932
[Mobo]: ASUS R3F
[RAM]: Undecided, first Triple Channel kit will be 6-12Gig
[PSU]: Undecided
[SDD]: Undecided, leaning towards Crucial C300 or Vertex 2 (min 64Gig?)
[HDD1]: WD CB 1TB
[Cooler]: Hydro H70
[Drive]: Re-use from old builds for now, CD/DVD Combo

Questions/Concerns:
  • (1) Mobo Choice: R3F vs. FTW3 vs. Sabertooth vs. Other - Leaning towards R3F PROS: sufficient spacing between cards (heard heat isn't too bad when smack against each other, if true, space between would be more of a piece of mind), above average overclocking capability/stability (could depend on people's experiences, every Company has bad batches/components occasionally), ROGC seems useful (wrong?), mild loyalty? (ASUS has been good to me so far), um sweet colors. CONS: Price
  • (2) RAM: Any recommendations on compatible 6 or 12 Gig sets? (Haven't researched much, just lazy at this moment for researching this component)
  • (3) PSU: Recommendations? "PSU Calcultors" all vary, 750watt or step up to 850watt?
  • (4) Cooler: Anything better than H70 for price? (Simplicity of H70 gives it a leg up)
  • (5) SSD: I really might be pushing my budget with a large capacity SSD (even though the larger typically = better performance), min of 64gig sufficient? Looked up all program requirements, read experiences, should be fine with some room to spare but may I be missing anything?

Open to any suggestions or bashing! :p 

Not a noob but I still have a lot to learn and I appreciate the help guys and gals.
    P.S. I know, it's looking like I'm going over budget, fine, but still don't want to blow my limit out of the water.
    January 6, 2011 7:56:55 PM

Bump, insights?
    m
    l
    January 6, 2011 8:08:35 PM

Nice motherboard, it will keep you screaming for a decent amount of time.

Nice choice on the H70, it will allow you to OC the cpu with ease! I use the H50 and love the hell out of it!

I would go with 6 Gigs of RAM, save a couple bucks and top it off when prices drop. I use 4 Gigs at the moment. While gaming, I usually run about 75-80% of RAM usage, and that is with all the bells and whistles running in the background.

I would stay away from the pci-x (4x) SSD cards from OCZ, they might scream, but the drivers aren't there yet... I would go with a small fast SSD drive, then a second drive for apps, storage, page file, ect.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    January 7, 2011 9:48:14 PM

Unless you need a case window, you really don't then get the HAF 922 (from amazon no shipping) http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RC-922M-KKN1-GP-Tow...

The Asus Rampage III is a nice board but really overpriced get the p6x58d premium instead it has tri-fire and trisli ability as well as being cheaper albeit with a less cool color scheme http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this RAM should be compatible with your board and has a great deal on it $30 off with the promo code, it runs at 1.5v so with more voltage you should be able to tighten of the latency a bit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This PSU is really overkill for your system you only need like 650w but this can be used for many upgrades to come and it is at a really cheap price with MIR just check the johnnyguru review this thing is a beast http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I personally wouldn't go for such an expensive cooler if only overclocking to around 4.0ghz give or take .2ghz get this cooler which is a great deal for the money and with the second fan is a beast (amazon no shipping, extra fan, cheaper) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G1YPH0/ref=s9_simh...
    wait to buy it sometimes the price will dip to 25 dollars

On your hard drives get the samsung 1tb instead it is cheaper and faster http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

get this SSD for OS + CS5 vertex 2 90gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Anything else you need to know just ask me
    m
    l
    January 7, 2011 10:21:33 PM

Meh. i recommened waiting two days for Sandy Bridge to finally be on sale.
    then get a Core i7 2600k Better performance for around the same price.
    m
    l
    January 7, 2011 10:37:56 PM

Did you even read the post? or did you just come here to troll on my build, he already purchased the i7 950
    m
    l
    January 8, 2011 12:25:27 AM

joelmartinez said:
    Did you even read the post? or did you just come here to troll on my build, he already purchased the i7 950

Erhm.
    Sorry, I Kinda just glanced over it.
    was in a hurry forget what i said then.
    m
    l
    January 8, 2011 1:45:39 AM

Thanks for the help everyone, really appreciate the links as well.

Joelmartinez -
    I'll def be going after that PSU (awesome review) and some of the other components as well. Do you have experience with the Vertex 2 to choose that over the C300 or was your choice influenced by the size/price?

I'm probably going to stick with the bigger case for the sake of having more room and to future proof. Hopefully I'll be purchasing the rest of the components this weekend and finally get the build going.
    m
    l
    January 8, 2011 2:46:31 AM

the reason I recommend the vertex 2 over the c300 is that it's cheaper it comes in 3.5'' format and there is no real world difference you will see between the two. That being said I do not own these SSDs but have seen comparisons here is the bench: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/194?vs=152

The haf 922 will be as future proof as the haf 932 unless you plan on doing massive air cooling NH-D14 or water cooling go with the 922
    m
    l
    January 8, 2011 6:40:02 AM

Have you ever chanced buying open box items to save some money?
    m
    l
    January 9, 2011 1:00:59 AM

Never I like getting all the accessories :D 
    m
    l
    January 9, 2011 9:41:15 PM

What do you think about the 2600k?

The only thing I'd have to return at this point is the i7-950.

I am trying to figure out though a comparative difference between the 950 and 2600k WITH discrete video cards. I may be not interpreting some benchmarks out there correctly, but are the advantages with the 2600k lost when coupled with a discrete video card?

Productivity is my biggest concern; games will be secondary. The 2600k seems to have the leg up (especially when OC'd) on everything. Might be a slightly more expensive processor but will save money on cheaper Motherboard and one less stick of RAM, consumes less power, etc.

Any ideas to persuade either way?
    m
    l
    January 9, 2011 10:35:01 PM

If you return go for the i5 2500K it will be as powerful as the 950 the discrete graphics won't hinder performance at all

it can overclock to like 4.5ghz on stock and with a sub 30 dollar heatsink 4.9ghz (all completely stable)

If you decide to go this route I will be happy to revise the build
    m
    l
    January 10, 2011 2:48:56 AM

do you know of any 1155 boards that support SLI at x16?
    m
    l
    January 10, 2011 10:41:09 PM

joelmartinez said:
    If you return go for the i5 2500K it will be as powerful as the 950 the discrete graphics won't hinder performance at all

it can overclock to like 4.5ghz on stock and with a sub 30 dollar heatsink 4.9ghz (all completely stable)

If you decide to go this route I will be happy to revise the build

In his case, 2600K works a lot better than a 2500K. 2600K will kick 950's ass.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

I think he should return the 950 and get 2600K, since 1366 MBs are going to obsolete soon once 2011 comes out later this year. If he gets the 2600K, then at least he can still upgrade if necessary in the next 2 years at least.

I also agree with what joelmartinez said about 8x/8x.
    m
    l
    January 10, 2011 10:43:46 PM

xtrec02 said:
    do you know of any 1155 boards that support SLI at x16?

No. Since P67 doesn't support it, but it doesn't matter much in terms of perfomance.
    m
    l
    January 10, 2011 11:06:38 PM

polandspring said:
    No. Since P67 doesn't support it, but it doesn't matter much in terms of perfomance.

Wrong.
    There is a board that supports it.
    m
    l
    January 10, 2011 11:10:46 PM

HeyImGodly said:
    Wrong.
    There is a board that supports it.

I stand corrected.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This will do.

Well, 2600K only supports 8x/8x since CPU only has 16 physical lanes, so I thought there won't be a board like that.

In order to get 16x/16x, the MB manufacturers use NF200 chip which adds the latency. In the end, it will be worse than a true 16x/16x. In the end, there isn't any difference between 8x/8x and 16x/16x ATM, but don't quote me on that.
    m
    l
    January 10, 2011 11:22:10 PM

The 2500K trumps the i7 950 easily when overclocked mildly with stock cooling put it on a hyper 212+ and get ready to get crazy high clocks, trumping the 980X

while the 2600K offers more performance the 2500K offers more performance for the dollar and socket 1356 WTF? is that LGA 1155 is what SB runs on
    m
    l
    January 10, 2011 11:47:13 PM

Don't get me wrong. I also think 2500K is an awesome chip and I just bought one.

However, he has stated that he wants to do

Quote:
    [Purpose]: Visual Studio 2010, CS5 (Web Dev, Photography), Multiple OS, Typical Uses, Mild-Medium Gaming

I assumed that he listed them according to priority. i7's Hyperthreading will help quite a bit in his case. He won't go wrong when choosing between the two SB chips.
    m
    l
    January 10, 2011 11:48:15 PM

I'm not sure that justifies the price premium, but yes hyperthreading would contribute to that
    m
    l
    January 11, 2011 2:28:36 AM

polandspring said:

Quote:

I assumed that he listed them according to priority. i7's Hyperthreading will help quite a bit in his case. He won't go wrong when choosing between the two SB chips.

You would be correct sir, a lot of web development.

Looked into Newegg's return policy for CPUs - replacement only, no refund. Ended up sticking with the 950, should last a good while with overclocking and possibly upgrade again in mid 2012. I'm curious to see what other processors will be coming out at the end of this year on LGA 2011 (hopefully a little cheaper around mid 2012).

Thanks for all the help guys - those SBs do look mighty impressive.
    m
    l
    January 11, 2011 2:53:10 AM

You could try the complain route, just complain enough to Newegg and they may refund you, it worked for another guy on this forum
    m
    l
    January 11, 2011 3:32:45 AM

Have you open the box? It would be much easier if you have not. Otherwise, call them and keep talking until they let you return it. This usually works for me when dealing with retailers.

Otherwise, the 950 is also a very good processor and it should be enough for you for the time being. It just runs a little hotter than SB.
    m
    l
    January 11, 2011 3:35:48 AM

Don't be plain out rude though they don't like that just say

Hello I would like to return 950 for 2500K and when they say read their return policy just keep talking about how you didn't even open it and the new processors just came out and what not and bug the crap out of them until they give up :D 
    m
    l
    January 13, 2011 2:48:39 PM

Just may damn luck....

HAF 922 is now $10 cheaper (current Newegg promo email)
    OCZ Vertex 2 120gig $195 after MIR (current Newegg promo email, I bought the 90gig for $189)
    Corsair Vengeance Ram $52 per 4gig stick (Bought 12 gig kit for ~$170 after previous promo code)

If I call them, Do you guys think Newegg would be cool enough to credit me the difference? (at least for the Case since that's the exact same; probably would have to return the 12gig kit and the SSD would have to be returned but its very tempting for 30gigs more for just $10)

The promo just came out today and I seriously just got the case yesterday and I'm getting the mobo/ram/ssd today.
    m
    l
    January 13, 2011 9:16:37 PM

Yeah there pretty cool about that they should credit you at least for the case :D 
    m
    l
    January 13, 2011 10:46:19 PM

All I have to say is Newegg is the awesome!

Credited for the case and 950 being cheaper in the promo that just came out today, painless.
    m
    l
    January 13, 2011 10:58:13 PM

told you they were cool :D 
    m
    l
    !