Sign in with
Your question

Need help purchasing new router and adapter

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 12, 2010 8:02:50 AM

At the moment I am using a 2wire wireless router and some sort of cheap wireless adapter. The router is setup across my house and my adapter is setup on the computer I generally use.

I get a very weak signal and internet will cut on and off at times. I play a lot of online games. It is very annoying to be disconnected constantly. I am looking to upgrade these components. From what I can tell, I need something that has a higher range or just something to get a better signal.

I have contacted Linksys about this and they said that my adapter is not even supported in Windows 7, which at the time of purchase, I had no idea that was the case. So, it appears I need to atleast replace the adapter.

I really have no idea what to look for. I can build a computer and everything, but when it comes to networking, I am a complete newbie. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
September 12, 2010 6:27:45 PM

pinnacle2009 said:
At the moment I am using a 2wire wireless router and some sort of cheap wireless adapter. The router is setup across my house and my adapter is setup on the computer I generally use.

I get a very weak signal and internet will cut on and off at times. I play a lot of online games. It is very annoying to be disconnected constantly. I am looking to upgrade these components. From what I can tell, I need something that has a higher range or just something to get a better signal.

You could try cabling to the router for a day or two to check that the ISP isn't causing the interruptions. After that, get yourself a new Wireless N adapter that says Windows 7 on the packet and future proof yourself for a year or so. Wireless is always going to be slower than wired so if you're a gamer, you might want to consider ethernet.

Apart from that, the only other possibility is interference of some kind. Some DEC telephone operate on 2.4Ghz and can cause this, as can microwave ovens and large steel girders under the floor or behind the wall skins, that the signal can't fight its way through.

m
l
September 12, 2010 7:15:51 PM

Apparently after restarting my computer 3 times and resetting the router multiple times has somewhat fixed it. I am getting a much better signal nonetheless.

However, I think I will be trying to move the router in the room with my computer. The other computer isn't even used for anything that a wireless signal will really affect.

Just have to call Windstream to come fix our jack in this room now :ange: 
m
l
!