Cold boot issues - I'm desperate to fix!

MysteryMachine

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I build my PC a year ago. I had many random blue screen at first and eventually ended up RMAing the RAM several times and my blue screens mostly went away. I never could get the RAM to run higher that 1333 despite it being rated for 1600. However one issue still remained – I would have issues on cold boots. If the computer was left off for more than a few minutes it would freeze on windows start up and I would have to reset several times and eventually it would let me in.

Since then I have mostly avoided cold boots and been fine, prime 95, intense gaming etc – no blue screens or crashes except on cold boot. I always figured it was the memory just having some weird incompatibility with my CPU/Motherboard. So now a year later I bought new RAM. I put it in, set it to the settings on the package… and it had cold boot issues, but after a couple resets it booted. I ran Prime 95 for an hour with no issues and used the computer for work for hours. Now I cold booted and the PC freezes on the windows 7 glowing ball screen… but even after 20+ resets, changing memory timings and speed to super loose, changing back to the old RAM etc it still freezes.

Any ideas on what it could be? I thought it was the RAM but now I am thinking not because the new set has same type of issues.

I’m desperate because in 2 weeks I am moving to a country where its not as simple as ordering something on newegg. Should I just bite the bullet and buy a new MB? Or is it more likely to be CPU? I’m to the point where I just need this to work and if I have to go out and use the credit card to buy a new MB or something I’ll do it.

When I was building the PC the first time one of the CPU pins on the motherboard looked a little off but it was really hard to see if it was or not and since once it warms up its fine I figured it wasn’t the pin.

ASUS P6X58D Premium
XFX HD-585A-ZNDC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) XXX Edition
Core i7 920
Original RAM: OCZ3G1600LV6GK 6GB (3x2)
Current RAM: F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL G. Skill 12gb (3x4GB)

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288241-31-read-posting-buyer-guides-troubleshooting

I would start off by checking out the guide here. Not sure that the troubleshooting will be able to help you much, but it might point you to something that is not working correctly. As the computer was having issues but booted and worked I almost wonder if you should try replacing or using a different HDD? Ultimately you may have a defective mobo but if it's worth the savings you can always work through the parts and test things. I hate to see you spend on a new mobo only to find it wasn't that that was defective.

MysteryMachine

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Thanks EvilAvatar, I've done those things and more (though not a diff HD). I have enough spare HDs around I could try that. Though I have had issues with expressgate freezing on cold boot as well and that doesn't use HD.

Yeah, I've read the same with cold boot, even on GSkills forum they talked about the issue and said they resolved those issues some time ago (it was an issue with some of their early triple channel) and I don't see any posts on cold boot issues for quite some time there. I was always thinking it was a RAM issue but now that I have the same issue (and its even gotten worse) with the G.Skill I dunno. I checked the date on the G.Skill RAM and its Dec 2010.

Can we rank what the likelyhood of which component is causing the issue? Anything we can rule out? (is the CPU a possibility? what about video card?) Actually I think we can probably rule out the video card - when I did the original build I tried other video cards and it didn't make any diff.

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I highly doubt it is the a cpu as you haven't changed anything other than the ram so I would focus on the mobo, wiring to the case and other components, HDD, psu, and ram. Since it was working before I think it has to be something in the mobo, psu, or HDD but it's so hard to say. If I was there I would be digging in taking it apart. If you can post pics or links to pics that would be cool.

MysteryMachine

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

"working before" is relative. Its never worked well on cold boot.. but after a couple retries it would go. Would wiring to the case or PSU ever exhibit the weird issue only on cold boot? I am happy to try other things first before I do Mobo or CPU (since I have to pull the mobo out to do the CPU fan).

It always locks and or blue screens in the win 7 boot screen right when those glowing balls are spinning to become the windows symbol. I've heard from others that is usually RAM or something RAM related like mobo or CPU.

MysteryMachine

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Argh... so I take it out of the office and move to the kitchen counter "operating table" and the darn thing booted just fine and has not had a cold boot issue in the last day. Its doing this to make me go crazy.

MysteryMachine

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
LOL I guess so. Its booted fine ever since then. I had one blue screen when I turned on a webcam (and the blue sceen pointed to a .sys file used by the webcam driver) but other than that isolated incident its been good. I hate these type of issues that are unexplainable. I still cringe every time I hit that power button though.