HD Radeon 5770 Compatibility

manyinwong

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I am planning to get a new graphic card for my old pc, since my XFX9800GT recently got fried( i am just assuming, i am not sure how to check this.)

This is what happen:

I haven't turn off my computer for around 14 days straight, and i have a pretty crappy case for air float, My GPU stays at 6x during idle and reach peek at around 8x during gaming with higher setting.

2 days ago, i was running L4D2, (my comment doesn't even need a good graphic card for this sighz...) but suddenly my screen froze, and my system is not responding. so i restarted my computer, and when the computer goes back on, the resolution becomes 800 x 600, and maximum i can change to is 1680 x 1050, (which is less than what 9800GT should support) so i run dxdiag on window. on the display tab in dxdiag, it doesn't seem to detect any display/GPU device. After that so i checked device manager, it has a exclamation mark on both 9800GT in the display adapter tab - Code Error 43 and another exclamation mark on Coprocessor in Other device tab - Code Error 28

Here is the list of things i tried to do.
-restarting my computer
-Updating 9800GT and Coprocessor
-reinstalling my computer
-Checking BIO when the computer boot
-Checking bio on my computer
-Tried to reinstall the driver, but a message pop up when i run the setup from disk. [The VGA Detected seems not XFX's product. Please go to www.nvidia.com to get the driver for the other NVIDIA VGA] but this installation should work since the disk came with the 9800GT

Things going to do:
-Getting a new PCI cable and/or replacing the 9800GT with Radeon 5770. but before that i have to check the comparability

Is there a way i can fix the 9800GT, or should i just buy a new graphic card?

If i should get a new graphic card, then.....
Two questions i would like to know are:
A)
Is the motherboard XFX MIA78S8209 compatible with Radeon HD 5770?

B)
Will my power supply be enough for the Radeon HD 5770?

my spec are:
Motherboard: XFX MI-A78S-8209
RAM: 4GB
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
HHD: Seagate ST3500320AS ATA Device
Power supply: 650W

Your motherboard looks like it does support it...it is PCI-E 2.0 so it should support almost ever graphics card.Only thing you need to worry bout is your power supply.A 650 Watt should support almost any video card but you need to find out how many amps are on the 12/v rail.Basicly all we need to know is what your make a model of your power supply is then we can go from there.I would say yes to you getting the 5770 any more than that and you start getting bottlenecked from your CPU.So find out what your Power supply is name model and all that good stuff.