Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

2 mid range cards or 1 top end card??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 7, 2010 7:22:50 AM

I'm building a new PC on a strick buget, and I've got a choice for the graphics cards. I could use some help chosing.

Do I go for:

2xRadeon HD 5750 1GB
1xRadeon HD 6870 1GB
2xGTS 450 1GB
or
1xGTS 465 1280MB

All the options come to the same price, but which will offer me the best performance, future proof, life span for a gaming machine.
a c 376 U Graphics card
November 7, 2010 7:36:47 AM

I would definitely go with the HD6870. Dual card setups still have their issues and crossfire/sli is best saved for an upgrade path rather than used as a starting point.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2010 12:59:56 PM

I say always buy the single fastest card you can afford. Then later you can always add another one of those. I know that Toms best GPU's for then Money suggest's SLI or Crossfire at times but I think it is a very bad suggestion value wise and performance wise over time.
The 2 lessor cards may indeed today provide a little more performance for the money in some instances, but that quickly fades and in a year you have 2 slow cards that will need to be replaced. If you had started with the high end card, you can now add a second card at a much lessor price a year later, and get a huge boost that will carry you for a good while longer.
a c 272 U Graphics card
November 7, 2010 1:02:38 PM

jitpublisher said:
I say always buy the single fastest card you can afford. Then later you can always add another one of those. I know that Toms best GPU's for then Money suggest's SLI or Crossfire at times but I think it is a very bad suggestion value wise and performance wise over time.
The 2 lessor cards may indeed today provide a little more performance for the money in some instances, but that quickly fades and in a year you have 2 slow cards that will need to be replaced. If you had started with the high end card, you can now add a second card at a much lessor price a year later, and get a huge boost that will carry you for a good while longer.

As I've been running a pair of 8800Gt's for a couple of years and have not had or seen the need to replace them yet, I would have to disagree.
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2010 8:41:12 PM

Mousemonkey said:
As I've been running a pair of 8800Gt's for a couple of years and have not had or seen the need to replace them yet, I would have to disagree.


Well maybe, and you certainly don't have to agree with anything I say. But I don't think that 2 years ago the 8800GT's would have been considered a "lower end" card. They were pretty much top of the line best card for the money you could buy. At the time you bought those, buying 2 lower end cards would have been like you getting a couple of 1950 pro's instead of the 8800GT's you have. I don't think your perspective is completely accurate.
I have a single 8800GTS G92 I have had for about nearly 2 years, and I don't see any need yet to replace it either, for whatever that is worth.
a c 217 U Graphics card
November 10, 2010 11:21:59 PM

I also agree with going with a single high end card over two midranged cards.

There plenty of games that don't work nice with SLI/CF. I have 4 games I've played in the last year that I don't gain any benefits from SLI/CF, or require me to disable it. 4 games is a lot of time were I'd be better with a single powerful card.

There are other games were the minimum FPS of the single powerful card is better than two weaker cards, even if it works in SLI/CF.

As mentioned above, if you were to SLI/CF two high end cards, at least when you are forced to use 1, you have a card that performs well, but with midranged or below cards, those times will be more painful.
a c 272 U Graphics card
November 11, 2010 1:08:04 AM

jitpublisher said:
Well maybe, and you certainly don't have to agree with anything I say. But I don't think that 2 years ago the 8800GT's would have been considered a "lower end" card. They were pretty much top of the line best card for the money you could buy. At the time you bought those, buying 2 lower end cards would have been like you getting a couple of 1950 pro's instead of the 8800GT's you have. I don't think your perspective is completely accurate.
I have a single 8800GTS G92 I have had for about nearly 2 years, and I don't see any need yet to replace it either, for whatever that is worth.

The1950 pro's were around when I was running 7900GT's and the 8800GT's were listed as mid range with the 8800GTS's as high mid range and the GTX280's as high end leaving a gap for the GTX20 and GTX275 and what was hoped to be a better 9xxx series that didn't turn out as was hoped. The 8800GT were defiantly thought of as mid range but they just turned out to be a lot better than people first thought.
!