PSU makes chirping sound ?

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Hi,

I have a OCZ modxstream 600w - it's just under two years old.

I had been hearing chirping during usage (both while gaming or just web browsing/ using office). I dusted it out and the chirping went away for a day or so --but then came back.

I haven't dusted since the time stated above, and I haven't heard the chirping in a week or so.

I just ordered a new setup with LGA 1155 and was thinking I may need to replace the psu because of the chirping sound that arose earlier? Would this be the case (the need to replace the PSU due to the chirping sound)?

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005

Is this chirping high pitched sound normal? I thought it was the hard drive at first sounded like high pitched plinking or something. comes and goes though. haven't heard it in a while.

jb6684

Distinguished
Chirping isn't normal.

- could be the fan in the PS
- could be inductors

Either way if it's still under warranty RMA it.....

If not, and the Noise bothers you:
- if it's the fan, you can replace it if your handy...
- if it's something else you have to live with the noise or replace the supply...

Sikup Andfed

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
I am a flight simulator enthusiast and FSX is the only sim I fly, i.e. I'm not a "gamer" per se.
I had a Corsair 750W PSU and it started going Tango Uniform while flying in FSX after about a minute or two - the computer rebooted itself every time, but would reboot and be fine until the next time. The PSU made a screaming sound just before each crash.
At first, I thought my video card was crapping. I located the source of the scream with a stethoscope - was coming from the PSU fan area. I stopped the fan with a green stick momentarily and the screaming continued so I knew it was not the fan itself.
Then I swapped it for a Tagan 700W PSU with my other PC (no FSX on that one) and now the Tagan is making this chirping noise you describe but it is not crashing. I suspect my video card, eVGA GTX570HD, is a huge load and weak components can't handle it.
The Corsair is working fine in the other PC and the Tagan is holding out for now. But I will no doubt be upgrading to a 1000W supply this year sometime.
EDIT: Pushed "Answer" before I meant to. It has been my experience, in 20+ years as an electronic technician in an engineering capacity, the screaming sound from the Corsair was probably a leaky filter capacitor. I'm not sure which voltage rail since I didn't attach a scope to look at it, but probably the 12V rail, possibly the 5V rail. The chirping may indeed be the inductors (another part of the same filter circuit) and I will keep an eye (ear) on that since it indicates the heavy load is causing those components to work very hard, and may cause capacitors to break down over time.