Sign in with
Your question

Need a low profile heat sink for a small space

Last response: in Components
April 1, 2011 2:21:13 AM

Hi all,

I am upgrading my sister in law's cpu. I ran into a problem, I installed a Geforce GT 220 card and a PCI express sound card, but there was not enough room between them to keep the fan on the VGA card. I have been looking for a fan that will fit between the two cards in a space that is approximately 14-15 mm.

I need to give her something that is proper. Therefore I need to find a fan that will fit in this space, and work with the 2 wire connection.

Any help would be great. Thank you.
April 1, 2011 5:18:11 AM

Why can't you get rid of the sound card..? May be you can use it for your system and let your SIL run on onboard sound.. There is hardly any difference unless she will be using some high end speakers and/or headphones or until she needs some specific sound card features..
April 1, 2011 1:17:50 PM

Unfortunately there was a problem with the onboard sound card and the right speaker will not work, therefore needing the new sound card. I also needed to upgrade the graphics card so she can use the HDMI port, not given on her motherboard. The only slots for either one are right on top of each other, thus leaving no room for the fan and heatsink on the VGA card.
Related resources
April 1, 2011 1:18:39 PM

Emperus said:
Why can't you get rid of the sound card..? May be you can use it for your system and let your SIL run on onboard sound.. There is hardly any difference unless she will be using some high end speakers and/or headphones or until she needs some specific sound card features..

Unfortunately there was a problem with the onboard sound card and the right speaker will not work, therefore needing the new sound card. I also needed to upgrade the graphics card so she can use the HDMI port, not given on her motherboard. The only slots for either one are right on top of each other, thus leaving no room for the fan and heatsink on the VGA card.

April 1, 2011 2:36:38 PM

Quote:
good-luck.
I personally would have to make some serious hardware changes.
If there is any issue with the motherboard then I'd get a working motherboard first, one small issue can lead to more issues..

I made that suggestion, but she wants to be "cheap" in this case. I was trying to help her. I even offered to sell her a computer that I made last year. I told her it was worth a lot more than I paid to build it. She said "no thanks", and asked me to do what I could with the one she had. I personnaly agree with you, and made my case known, but money is money. It is kind of funny that she spent $190.00 so far to help me try to "fix" it.
April 1, 2011 2:39:24 PM

Oh, I forgot, I was going to change the case with my computer, but she would need to buy another case. It is a dell case and it has no way to upgrade the motherboard. The back of the case is fixed and you can't pop the back off of it and change the outputs. Ugh, this is a little frustrating.
April 1, 2011 9:45:50 PM

Quote:
whoa...
what model Dell.?

The dell is an Inspiron 530
April 1, 2011 9:46:23 PM

Quote:
with $190 you could have given her a nice overhaul if done properly..
next time just get the money and do what you KNOW is better..

Too true
April 3, 2011 11:25:51 AM

Quote:
I thought that the back of the Dell case (i/o shield) was attached to the motherboard and when the motherboard came out the i/o shield came out with it...?
I might be wrong, it's been a while.

Unfortunately, I tried that. The shield stayed put.
April 10, 2011 11:37:38 PM

Best answer selected by djlucich.
!