300d how do you keep the screen scratch free?

How do folk keep their screen scratch free? Do you use a screen protector?

I was used to a Canon EOS 100 hanging around my neck but doing the same with
the 300d would just create loads of scratches instantly.

Cheers

--
Steven
Replace the word THREE to the number three if replying.

    Steven Campbell wrote:

    > I was used to a Canon EOS 100 hanging around my neck but doing the
    same with
    > the 300d would just create loads of scratches instantly.

    Actually, it doesn't. Even if it did, though, who cares? Did you buy
    a museum piece, or a tool?

    I bought a package of clear screen protectors intended for PDAs and cut
    a piece to fit the LCD on my Digital Rebel. I found out later there
    are ones especially made for digital cameras.

    I saw a message posted somewhere for a hard plastic protector made
    specially for the DigiReb, and ordered one. Really nice, attaches with
    double sided tape strips. I haven't applied it yet as the screen
    protector seems to be doing an OK job, and I was concerned with this
    rather thick piece of plastic on the back of the camera getting caught
    in clothing when carrying the camera. Anyway you can check out the
    site and see for yourself: http://www.daproducts.com/index.htm

    Not very expensive and might be just what you need!

    Bob Boudreau
    Canada

    "Steven Campbell" <steven@pTHREEasa.co.uk> wrote in message
    > How do folk keep their screen scratch free? Do you use a screen protector?

    Well, the Nikon D70 comes with one. What do you want to bet that 99% of D70
    owners never bother to replace the screen protector when its scratched?

    I've been posting for years in PDA, Cellphone and digicam forums
    whenever this issue comes up about the perfect protector that is dirt
    cheap... Older han digital too.

    Any art store will carry it - its a long role of thin, transparent
    vinyl film that's used is meant to be used as a protective cover on
    books, cupboard shelves etc... Its very cheap and comes in a long role
    providing more than you'd ever need.
    I have no idea what it's called... tons of companies make it.

    Incidentally, its also used to "preserve" unfinished
    drawings/paintings... in case you want to ask for it... I use it for
    all my gadgets - It hardly distorts the screen at all (depending on the
    manufacturer - different thincknesses)

    Steven Campbell wrote:
    > How do folk keep their screen scratch free? Do you use a screen
    > protector?
    >
    > I was used to a Canon EOS 100 hanging around my neck but doing the
    > same with the 300d would just create loads of scratches instantly.
    >
    > Cheers

    Well considering how poor the image on those screens are normally, I
    don't think I would want to degrade it more with a "protector" on it.

    I really like the commercial for the auto insurance company of the guy
    wrapping his car in bubble wrap so he will be safe without insurance. Yea.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "JCToronto" <jasonfcooper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Incidentally, its also used to "preserve" unfinished
    > drawings/paintings... in case you want to ask for it... I use it for
    > all my gadgets - It hardly distorts the screen at all (depending on the
    > manufacturer - different thincknesses)

    Any idea at all what its called?

    "JCToronto" <jasonfcooper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Incidentally, its also used to "preserve" unfinished
    > drawings/paintings... in case you want to ask for it... I use it for
    > all my gadgets - It hardly distorts the screen at all (depending on the
    > manufacturer - different thincknesses)

    depending on the manufacturer you also might get nasty residue or even
    chemical reactions with the plalank stic screen. i know it usually goes good
    for a while - but what about a year from now? just raising issues... bwindow
    clings seem to be a good idea to me, as they arent as adhesive and can
    easily be swapped.

    sid

    sid derra wrote:
    > "JCToronto" <jasonfcooper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Incidentally, its also used to "preserve" unfinished
    >> drawings/paintings... in case you want to ask for it... I use it
    >> for
    >> all my gadgets - It hardly distorts the screen at all (depending on
    >> the manufacturer - different thincknesses)
    >
    > depending on the manufacturer you also might get nasty residue or even
    > chemical reactions with the plalank stic screen. i know it usually
    > goes good for a while - but what about a year from now? just raising
    > issues... bwindow clings seem to be a good idea to me, as they arent
    > as adhesive and can easily be swapped.
    >
    > sid

    I wonder if the self-cling plastic sold to make window decals on inkjet
    printers would be useful. I haven't looked lately, but it seems to me it
    was a dollar or less per 8 1/2 by 11 sheet, and if cutting up one
    demonstrates it doesn't work, you can print some sunshine catchers for
    the kitchen window. Don't forget to reverse the image, or you'll be
    posting the things outdoors, or backwards.

    --
    Frank ess

    Forecasting is difficult. Particularly about the Future.
    —Deepak Gupta

    The poster didn't ask about this, but be cautious next summer about
    various insect repellants (especially containing deet) and handling
    plastics. I once put a good dose on, then picked up my cellphone
    only to have the display melt in my hand. It's worth testing this on
    a transparent protector sheet before attaching one to the camera.

    Cheers!
    -bob

    In article <35nmkmF4oppg7U1@individual.net>,
    Steven Campbell <steven@pTHREEasa.co.uk> wrote:
    >How do folk keep their screen scratch free? Do you use a screen protector?

    I just don't worry about it. My 10D has taken a fair bit of ordinary wear
    and tear from being hung around my neck over the last few years and is still
    fine.

    Chris Brown wrote:
    > In article <35nmkmF4oppg7U1@individual.net>,
    > Steven Campbell <steven@pTHREEasa.co.uk> wrote:
    >>How do folk keep their screen scratch free? Do you use a screen protector?
    >
    > I just don't worry about it. My 10D has taken a fair bit of ordinary wear
    > and tear from being hung around my neck over the last few years and is still
    > fine.
    Is a screen protector available for the 300D?

    mortn wrote:

    > Is a screen protector available for the 300D?

    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, one is available:
    http://www.daproducts.com/index.htm

    Bob Boudreau
    Canada

    > I wonder if the self-cling plastic sold to make window decals on inkjet
    > printers would be useful.

    Frank, I've been using the window decal sheets for years, they are perfect
    for screen covers. You can cut em to any size you want. Once you get the
    size you want all it takes is one tiny drop of water to slide it exactly
    into position (make sure emulsion side is up) after it's on there good and
    dry take a damp rag and wipe off the emulsion (that would have been printed
    on). They are crystal clear and remove with no residue at all.
    Chris

    "How do folk keep their screen scratch free?"

    A) try not to touch the screen
    B) about 1/2 of the scratches come from use
    C) the other 1/2 come from trying to keep the screen free from oil and
    dirt.

    So, if you can see the data on the screen don't bother to clean it.
    When it does need a cleaning, treat it as a very expensive device and
    clean it carefully without using any pressure whatsoever during the
    cleaning process. Don't bother to get it "fresh from the factory clean".

    There are protective foils available, which can be sticked on the screen.
    Later they can be peeled off, if a new one is needed.

    AFH

    "Chris G" <ratsnest37@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I wonder if the self-cling plastic sold to make window decals on inkjet
    > > printers would be useful.
    > >

    > Frank, I've been using the window decal sheets for years, they are perfect
    > for screen covers. You can cut em to any size you want. Once you get the
    > size you want all it takes is one tiny drop of water to slide it exactly
    > into position (make sure emulsion side is up) after it's on there good and
    > dry take a damp rag and wipe off the emulsion (that would have been
    printed
    > on). They are crystal clear and remove with no residue at all.

    Chris any links to that? Sounds interesting.

    Steven Campbell wrote:
    > "Chris G" <ratsnest37@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I wonder if the self-cling plastic sold to make window decals on
    >>> inkjet printers would be useful.
    >>>

    >> Frank, I've been using the window decal sheets for years, they are
    >> perfect for screen covers. You can cut em to any size you want. Once
    >> you get the size you want all it takes is one tiny drop of water to
    >> slide it exactly into position (make sure emulsion side is up) after
    >> it's on there good and dry take a damp rag and wipe off the emulsion
    >> (that would have been printed on). They are crystal clear and remove
    >> with no residue at all.
    >
    > Chris any links to that? Sounds interesting.

    I have a package of
    "XEROX
    New Color Ink Jet
    Window Decals ...
    Reorder 3R5499"

    This is five or six years old, so you may find they are out of catalog,
    or obsolete, or both.

    They have a 1/4" grid for alignment purposes.

    --
    Frank ess

    > "Chris G" <ratsnest37@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > I wonder if the self-cling plastic sold to make window decals on
    inkjet
    > > > printers would be useful.
    > > >

    > > Frank, I've been using the window decal sheets for years, they are
    perfect
    > > for screen covers. You can cut em to any size you want. Once you get the
    > > size you want all it takes is one tiny drop of water to slide it exactly
    > > into position (make sure emulsion side is up) after it's on there good
    and
    > > dry take a damp rag and wipe off the emulsion (that would have been
    > printed
    > > on). They are crystal clear and remove with no residue at all.
    >
    > Chris any links to that? Sounds interesting.

    Steven you can buy packages of window decal sheets at pretty much anywhere
    that sells printer paper and all that greeting card paper, many companys
    make it I know there is one package from Crayola and Royal. It might be
    called cling something too just check out any local Office Depot, Office
    Max, Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart or Target.......you will find it.
    Chris

    > "Steven Campbell" <steven@pTHREEasa.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > "Chris G" <ratsnest37@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > inkjet
    > > > >

    > > > Frank, I've been using the window decal sheets for years, they are
    > perfect
    > > > for screen covers. You can cut em to any size you want. Once you get
    the
    > > > size you want all it takes is one tiny drop of water to slide it
    exactly
    > > > into position (make sure emulsion side is up) after it's on there good
    > and
    > > > dry take a damp rag and wipe off the emulsion (that would have been
    > > printed
    > > > on). They are crystal clear and remove with no residue at all.
    > >
    > > Chris any links to that? Sounds interesting.
    > >

    > Steven you can buy packages of window decal sheets at pretty much anywhere
    > that sells printer paper and all that greeting card paper, many companys
    > make it I know there is one package from Crayola and Royal. It might be
    > called cling something too just check out any local Office Depot, Office
    > Max, Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart or Target.......you will find it.
    > Chris

    Must be called something totally different here in the UK.
    I've never heard of a "window decal sheet" I'll have a look though.

    Steven.

    > Must be called something totally different here in the UK.
    > I've never heard of a "window decal sheet" I'll have a look though.

    I've been following the thread with interest and once again it seems the US
    & UK are divided by a common language. Avery UK list "Window Stickers"
    though the packaging describes them as "Window Pictures". I hope the
    Stickers/Pictures are clearer than their terminology!

    US version -
    http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=product.Details&catalogcode=WEB01&node=10210908&productcode=3276

    UK version -
    http://www.avery.co.uk/uk1/main.jsp?action=product.Product&bct=1&bcn=C2546&pid=C2546

    PC World stock them - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/ - search for "Window
    Pictures".

    --
    Regards,
    Chris Luck

    "Chris Luck" <chris@bvhg.freeXYZserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "Steven Campbell" <steven@pTHREEasa.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    > > Must be called something totally different here in the UK.
    > > I've never heard of a "window decal sheet" I'll have a look though.
    >
    > I've been following the thread with interest and once again it seems the
    US
    > & UK are divided by a common language. Avery UK list "Window Stickers"
    > though the packaging describes them as "Window Pictures". I hope the
    > Stickers/Pictures are clearer than their terminology!
    >
    > US version -

    http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=product.Details&catalogcode=WEB01&node=10210908&productcode=3276

    > UK version -

    http://www.avery.co.uk/uk1/main.jsp?action=product.Product&bct=1&bcn=C2546&pid=C2546

    > PC World stock them - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/ - search for "Window
    > Pictures".

    Thanks Chris, I at least know what I am looking for now.
    I take it those sheets aren't actually adhesive?

    Steven.

    > Thanks Chris, I at least know what I am looking for now.
    > I take it those sheets aren't actually adhesive?

    Not adhesive in the way that address labels are. They hold in place by
    means of static/vacuum effects and can be removed quite easily when desired.
    I haven't yet tried them for the application under discussion and it will be
    interesting to see how durable it is for this purpose but, anyway, one pack
    should last a lifetime.

    --

    > "Steven Campbell" <steven@pTHREEasa.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    > > Thanks Chris, I at least know what I am looking for now.
    > > I take it those sheets aren't actually adhesive?
    >
    > Not adhesive in the way that address labels are. They hold in place by
    > means of static/vacuum effects and can be removed quite easily when
    desired.
    > I haven't yet tried them for the application under discussion and it will
    be
    > interesting to see how durable it is for this purpose but, anyway, one
    pack
    > should last a lifetime.

    Yeah I know the kind of thing. Usually comes on the screen of a new mobile
    phone.

    I'll give it a go. Thanks for your help.

    Steven.

Photo Canon Cameras