300d how do you keep the screen scratch free?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 25, 2005 10:56:57 PM

How do folk keep their screen scratch free? Do you use a screen protector?

I was used to a Canon EOS 100 hanging around my neck but doing the same with
the 300d would just create loads of scratches instantly.

Cheers

--
Steven
Replace the word THREE to the number three if replying.

Steven Campbell wrote:

> I was used to a Canon EOS 100 hanging around my neck but doing the
same with
> the 300d would just create loads of scratches instantly.

Actually, it doesn't. Even if it did, though, who cares? Did you buy
a museum piece, or a tool?
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 10:56:58 PM

I bought a package of clear screen protectors intended for PDAs and cut
a piece to fit the LCD on my Digital Rebel. I found out later there
are ones especially made for digital cameras.

I saw a message posted somewhere for a hard plastic protector made
specially for the DigiReb, and ordered one. Really nice, attaches with
double sided tape strips. I haven't applied it yet as the screen
protector seems to be doing an OK job, and I was concerned with this
rather thick piece of plastic on the back of the camera getting caught
in clothing when carrying the camera. Anyway you can check out the
site and see for yourself: http://www.daproducts.com/index.htm

Not very expensive and might be just what you need!

Bob Boudreau
Canada
January 25, 2005 10:56:58 PM

"Steven Campbell" <steven@pTHREEasa.co.uk> wrote in message
> How do folk keep their screen scratch free? Do you use a screen protector?

Well, the Nikon D70 comes with one. What do you want to bet that 99% of D70
owners never bother to replace the screen protector when its scratched?
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 10:56:58 PM

I've been posting for years in PDA, Cellphone and digicam forums
whenever this issue comes up about the perfect protector that is dirt
cheap... Older han digital too.

Any art store will carry it - its a long role of thin, transparent
vinyl film that's used is meant to be used as a protective cover on
books, cupboard shelves etc... Its very cheap and comes in a long role
providing more than you'd ever need.
I have no idea what it's called... tons of companies make it.

January 25, 2005 10:56:58 PM

Incidentally, its also used to "preserve" unfinished
drawings/paintings... in case you want to ask for it... I use it for
all my gadgets - It hardly distorts the screen at all (depending on the
manufacturer - different thincknesses)

January 26, 2005 12:04:49 AM

Steven Campbell wrote:
> How do folk keep their screen scratch free? Do you use a screen
> protector?
>
> I was used to a Canon EOS 100 hanging around my neck but doing the
> same with the 300d would just create loads of scratches instantly.
>
> Cheers

Well considering how poor the image on those screens are normally, I
don't think I would want to degrade it more with a "protector" on it.

I really like the commercial for the auto insurance company of the guy
wrapping his car in bubble wrap so he will be safe without insurance. Yea.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:57:13 AM

"JCToronto" <jasonfcooper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Incidentally, its also used to "preserve" unfinished
> drawings/paintings... in case you want to ask for it... I use it for
> all my gadgets - It hardly distorts the screen at all (depending on the
> manufacturer - different thincknesses)

Any idea at all what its called?
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 3:00:56 AM

"JCToronto" <jasonfcooper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Incidentally, its also used to "preserve" unfinished
> drawings/paintings... in case you want to ask for it... I use it for
> all my gadgets - It hardly distorts the screen at all (depending on the
> manufacturer - different thincknesses)

depending on the manufacturer you also might get nasty residue or even
chemical reactions with the plalank stic screen. i know it usually goes good
for a while - but what about a year from now? just raising issues... bwindow
clings seem to be a good idea to me, as they arent as adhesive and can
easily be swapped.

sid
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 3:00:57 AM

sid derra wrote:
> "JCToronto" <jasonfcooper@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Incidentally, its also used to "preserve" unfinished
>> drawings/paintings... in case you want to ask for it... I use it
>> for
>> all my gadgets - It hardly distorts the screen at all (depending on
>> the manufacturer - different thincknesses)
>
> depending on the manufacturer you also might get nasty residue or even
> chemical reactions with the plalank stic screen. i know it usually
> goes good for a while - but what about a year from now? just raising
> issues... bwindow clings seem to be a good idea to me, as they arent
> as adhesive and can easily be swapped.
>
> sid

I wonder if the self-cling plastic sold to make window decals on inkjet
printers would be useful. I haven't looked lately, but it seems to me it
was a dollar or less per 8 1/2 by 11 sheet, and if cutting up one
demonstrates it doesn't work, you can print some sunshine catchers for
the kitchen window. Don't forget to reverse the image, or you'll be
posting the things outdoors, or backwards.

--
Frank ess

Forecasting is difficult. Particularly about the Future.
—Deepak Gupta
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 9:39:15 AM

The poster didn't ask about this, but be cautious next summer about
various insect repellants (especially containing deet) and handling
plastics. I once put a good dose on, then picked up my cellphone
only to have the display melt in my hand. It's worth testing this on
a transparent protector sheet before attaching one to the camera.

Cheers!
-bob

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:12:24 -0800, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com>
wrote:

>sid derra wrote:
>> "JCToronto" <jasonfcooper@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Incidentally, its also used to "preserve" unfinished
>>> drawings/paintings... in case you want to ask for it... I use it
>>> for
>>> all my gadgets - It hardly distorts the screen at all (depending on
>>> the manufacturer - different thincknesses)
>>
>> depending on the manufacturer you also might get nasty residue or even
>> chemical reactions with the plalank stic screen. i know it usually
>> goes good for a while - but what about a year from now? just raising
>> issues... bwindow clings seem to be a good idea to me, as they arent
>> as adhesive and can easily be swapped.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:28:57 PM

In article <35nmkmF4oppg7U1@individual.net>,
Steven Campbell <steven@pTHREEasa.co.uk> wrote:
>How do folk keep their screen scratch free? Do you use a screen protector?

I just don't worry about it. My 10D has taken a fair bit of ordinary wear
and tear from being hung around my neck over the last few years and is still
fine.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 6:47:49 PM

Chris Brown wrote:
> In article <35nmkmF4oppg7U1@individual.net>,
> Steven Campbell <steven@pTHREEasa.co.uk> wrote:
>>How do folk keep their screen scratch free? Do you use a screen protector?
>
> I just don't worry about it. My 10D has taken a fair bit of ordinary wear
> and tear from being hung around my neck over the last few years and is still
> fine.
Is a screen protector available for the 300D?
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:03:07 PM

mortn wrote:

> Is a screen protector available for the 300D?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, one is available:
http://www.daproducts.com/index.htm

Bob Boudreau
Canada
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:30:13 PM

> I wonder if the self-cling plastic sold to make window decals on inkjet
> printers would be useful.

Frank, I've been using the window decal sheets for years, they are perfect
for screen covers. You can cut em to any size you want. Once you get the
size you want all it takes is one tiny drop of water to slide it exactly
into position (make sure emulsion side is up) after it's on there good and
dry take a damp rag and wipe off the emulsion (that would have been printed
on). They are crystal clear and remove with no residue at all.
Chris
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 4:15:23 PM

"How do folk keep their screen scratch free?"

A) try not to touch the screen
B) about 1/2 of the scratches come from use
C) the other 1/2 come from trying to keep the screen free from oil and
dirt.

So, if you can see the data on the screen don't bother to clean it.
When it does need a cleaning, treat it as a very expensive device and
clean it carefully without using any pressure whatsoever during the
cleaning process. Don't bother to get it "fresh from the factory clean".
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 1:15:53 AM

There are protective foils available, which can be sticked on the screen.
Later they can be peeled off, if a new one is needed.

AFH

MitchAlsup@aol.com schrieb:

> "How do folk keep their screen scratch free?"
>
> A) try not to touch the screen
> B) about 1/2 of the scratches come from use
> C) the other 1/2 come from trying to keep the screen free from oil and
> dirt.
>
> So, if you can see the data on the screen don't bother to clean it.
> When it does need a cleaning, treat it as a very expensive device and
> clean it carefully without using any pressure whatsoever during the
> cleaning process. Don't bother to get it "fresh from the factory clean".
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 3:18:15 AM

"Chris G" <ratsnest37@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I wonder if the self-cling plastic sold to make window decals on inkjet
> > printers would be useful.
> >

> Frank, I've been using the window decal sheets for years, they are perfect
> for screen covers. You can cut em to any size you want. Once you get the
> size you want all it takes is one tiny drop of water to slide it exactly
> into position (make sure emulsion side is up) after it's on there good and
> dry take a damp rag and wipe off the emulsion (that would have been
printed
> on). They are crystal clear and remove with no residue at all.

Chris any links to that? Sounds interesting.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 3:18:16 AM

Steven Campbell wrote:
> "Chris G" <ratsnest37@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I wonder if the self-cling plastic sold to make window decals on
>>> inkjet printers would be useful.
>>>

>> Frank, I've been using the window decal sheets for years, they are
>> perfect for screen covers. You can cut em to any size you want. Once
>> you get the size you want all it takes is one tiny drop of water to
>> slide it exactly into position (make sure emulsion side is up) after
>> it's on there good and dry take a damp rag and wipe off the emulsion
>> (that would have been printed on). They are crystal clear and remove
>> with no residue at all.
>
> Chris any links to that? Sounds interesting.

I have a package of
"XEROX
New Color Ink Jet
Window Decals ...
Reorder 3R5499"

This is five or six years old, so you may find they are out of catalog,
or obsolete, or both.

They have a 1/4" grid for alignment purposes.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

> "Chris G" <ratsnest37@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > I wonder if the self-cling plastic sold to make window decals on
inkjet
> > > printers would be useful.
> > >

> > Frank, I've been using the window decal sheets for years, they are
perfect
> > for screen covers. You can cut em to any size you want. Once you get the
> > size you want all it takes is one tiny drop of water to slide it exactly
> > into position (make sure emulsion side is up) after it's on there good
and
> > dry take a damp rag and wipe off the emulsion (that would have been
> printed
> > on). They are crystal clear and remove with no residue at all.
>
> Chris any links to that? Sounds interesting.

Steven you can buy packages of window decal sheets at pretty much anywhere
that sells printer paper and all that greeting card paper, many companys
make it I know there is one package from Crayola and Royal. It might be
called cling something too just check out any local Office Depot, Office
Max, Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart or Target.......you will find it.
Chris
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:43:21 PM

> "Steven Campbell" <steven@pTHREEasa.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "Chris G" <ratsnest37@comcast.net> wrote in message

> inkjet
> > > >

> > > Frank, I've been using the window decal sheets for years, they are
> perfect
> > > for screen covers. You can cut em to any size you want. Once you get
the
> > > size you want all it takes is one tiny drop of water to slide it
exactly
> > > into position (make sure emulsion side is up) after it's on there good
> and
> > > dry take a damp rag and wipe off the emulsion (that would have been
> > printed
> > > on). They are crystal clear and remove with no residue at all.
> >
> > Chris any links to that? Sounds interesting.
> >

> Steven you can buy packages of window decal sheets at pretty much anywhere
> that sells printer paper and all that greeting card paper, many companys
> make it I know there is one package from Crayola and Royal. It might be
> called cling something too just check out any local Office Depot, Office
> Max, Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart or Target.......you will find it.
> Chris

Must be called something totally different here in the UK.
I've never heard of a "window decal sheet" I'll have a look though.

Steven.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:15:54 AM

> Must be called something totally different here in the UK.
> I've never heard of a "window decal sheet" I'll have a look though.

I've been following the thread with interest and once again it seems the US
& UK are divided by a common language. Avery UK list "Window Stickers"
though the packaging describes them as "Window Pictures". I hope the
Stickers/Pictures are clearer than their terminology!

US version -
http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=product.Details&cat...

UK version -
http://www.avery.co.uk/uk1/main.jsp?action=product.Prod...

PC World stock them - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/ - search for "Window
Pictures".

--
Regards,
Chris Luck

"Chris Luck" <chris@bvhg.freeXYZserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Steven Campbell" <steven@pTHREEasa.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > Must be called something totally different here in the UK.
> > I've never heard of a "window decal sheet" I'll have a look though.
>
> I've been following the thread with interest and once again it seems the
US
> & UK are divided by a common language. Avery UK list "Window Stickers"
> though the packaging describes them as "Window Pictures". I hope the
> Stickers/Pictures are clearer than their terminology!
>
> US version -

http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=product.Details&cat...

> UK version -

http://www.avery.co.uk/uk1/main.jsp?action=product.Prod...

> PC World stock them - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/ - search for "Window
> Pictures".

Thanks Chris, I at least know what I am looking for now.
I take it those sheets aren't actually adhesive?

Steven.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:45:13 AM

> Thanks Chris, I at least know what I am looking for now.
> I take it those sheets aren't actually adhesive?

Not adhesive in the way that address labels are. They hold in place by
means of static/vacuum effects and can be removed quite easily when desired.
I haven't yet tried them for the application under discussion and it will be
interesting to see how durable it is for this purpose but, anyway, one pack
should last a lifetime.

--
Regards,
Chris Luck

> "Steven Campbell" <steven@pTHREEasa.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > Thanks Chris, I at least know what I am looking for now.
> > I take it those sheets aren't actually adhesive?
>
> Not adhesive in the way that address labels are. They hold in place by
> means of static/vacuum effects and can be removed quite easily when
desired.
> I haven't yet tried them for the application under discussion and it will
be
> interesting to see how durable it is for this purpose but, anyway, one
pack
> should last a lifetime.

Yeah I know the kind of thing. Usually comes on the screen of a new mobile
phone.

I'll give it a go. Thanks for your help.

Steven.
!