Black laptop screen

Jerry B

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Hello, My laptop works fine for a while then instantly goes black. If I reboot, it works again for a while and then goes black again.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jerry B

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Newby: please help?

My HP pavillion xh365 laptop goes black after running for a few minutes to several hours. The only way to recover the screen is to reboot. When the screen goes black, I can hear some changes in the pc. Normally, the sounds I hear are just the hardrive and the fans, but when the screen goes black, I hear some changes in the pitch of one of the sounds. I have the same problem whether the laptop is running on the built in display or is conneted to an external display. Both screens go black at the same time. What do you suppose the problem is.

Thanks so much, Jerry.

Rain1406

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Pun: Well don't expect it to come back.

Semi-Helpful bit: How old is the laptop as it may be worth contacting the manufaturer about it. It could be fault with the MoBo or other parts of it, might be worth raising this in the Laptops section rather than graphics and displays section.
Sorry for the lack of help.

Jerry B

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
That was a cute pun, thanks for the laugh. :lol:

The laptop is quite old (10 years or more), but has been a good unit. I'm sure it is not worth spending much money on, but if I could fix it myself I would probably do so. I'll try your suggestion about posting in laptops also.

Thanks for your offering.

Jerry B

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks Rolli, I have in the past connected an extenal crt and it also goes black. Would you think that the external crt would be dependant on the inverter inside the laptop?

Jerry B

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

Does it sound like the heat problem is causing the gpu problem or the gpu problem is causing the heat problem?

I've read that replacing a laptop video card is a project, but since the unit is useless at this point, I'm willing to try. Where do you suppose I can find a card for this old pc and what do you think it might cost.

The model is HP pavillion xh365

Thanks so much!