Sign in with
Your question

GTX295 Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 7, 2010 12:46:50 PM

Hi...

I was given an MSi GTX295 for free by a friend, known working, low hours usage. He'd got rid because of display driver issues with certain games he plays...Age of Conan and the like...But from a hardware viewpoint there was nothing apparently wrong with the card.

In my machine the card runs XP professional fine, browses the web etc. But programs like 3dmark, aquamark, crysis, and fallout 3 (all I've had time to test so far) refuse to work.

Crysis loads to 98% and stays that way forever
fallout 3 loads then crashes the computer as soon as it tries to play the actual game.

Drivers are the ones currently as of 5/11/10 on the Nvidia site.

System comprises:

Ecs slit-a mobo
Core 2 E6600
2 Gig ram
Auzentech x-fi prelude soundcard
2 x DVD optical drives
1 Samsung 1TB storage drive
1 Samsung 128GB solid state drive
Enermax Infiniti EIN650AWT PSU

Any ideas, obviously a free graphics card is nice, but its even nicer if it works properly :-)

and probably needed by now as its replacing a 8800GTS...

Many thanks for your help.

Ray.

More about : gtx295 problems

November 7, 2010 2:44:37 PM

It seems like he gave you a defective card hoping it would work fine on your PC, but it didn't. I wouldn't give a fully working $500 product to anyone, unless it was intended to be a gift.

Try a clean install of windows and see if it still happens
November 7, 2010 2:58:45 PM

wiinippongamer said:
It seems like he gave you a defective card hoping it would work fine on your PC, but it didn't. I wouldn't give a fully working $500 product to anyone, unless it was intended to be a gift.

Try a clean install of windows and see if it still happens

It worked fine on Bob's PC, Just a black line in the middle of the display on some games.
Bob works as an accounts supervisor in central London, earns lots of cash and doesn't spend it in the pub, so to him its just a piece of unused hardware hanging around which didn't work the way he wanted it to.

will try as you suggest...but will first try completely cleaning out Nvidia drivers, then disabling one core...

A complete reinstall is a bit of a pain, I'm sure you'll understand. just want to try simpler options first.

Ray.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 8, 2010 11:53:44 AM

Finding this a bloody odd graphics card, some games work if you disable one core, other games work if you throttle back the card itself...

Puzzled why they just can't work as is.

Ray.
a b Î Nvidia
November 8, 2010 3:41:13 PM

People have complained about such issues but taking it apart and replacing the old stock compound. Once done give it another shot and turn the fan to max. Dual gpu cards rarely work without having some problems and they are only for a few that can afford them or have no other way of getting the performance they need in a single card. I got 3 such dual gpu cards but not a GTX295. The single pcb is known to suck when it comes to problems like this and the dual has it's own share of problems.
November 8, 2010 9:16:34 PM

As the original PC it came from is still under warranty (April 2010) I have decided to RMA the card for something that works properly.

Ray.
!