Choosing a x58 motherboard

vigliottec

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Okay so i just got an Intel core i7 960 for 99$(from intel)

Im going to build a system around this fact.

i also own a evga gtx 460 and a 750 watt psu which ill use in this build

So the next step is i need to choose a motherboard.

Here is what Im looking at

Asus P6X58D-E LGA 1366 X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 X58 ATX Motherboard

X58 FTW3 LGA 1366 X58 ATX Motherboard

Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

So my question is this...

What board would you chose and why?

thanks

-chris

All will give good performance, within 1% of each other at stock clocks....you will have to review included features, ease of BIOS use for overclocking (some make it VERY easy, some make it very hard!) in order to make this choice...

(Some X58 boards are also priced to an absurd level.....if a mainboard costs $850, it had better have a free 980x on it!)

Review www.hardocp.com and www.anandtech.com , and, of course www.tomshardware.com for X58 shootouts and reviews....each touches on pros/cons of assorted boards, price/features, etc....

Dont rule out the MSI board either....it has fared well in shotouts!

vigliottec

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
well i work at Microcenter so basically theses are the boards i can chose from

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966996+4294946452&sht=Any&prt=NewProduct&

and I'm looking to stay around 200$ (keep in mind i get employee discount so some have better discounts then others)

i work in returns and id never buy an msi board but then again i see and hear of issues with most of the boards so that's why i'm so confused.

i have a gigabyte board now and its great but i wouldn't mind trying a new brand (the last 9 computers i have built have all been gigabyte motherboards)

~mdd1963 thanks for the links i was trying to find a few good sites for reviews