looking for a program

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 25, 2005 8:24:39 PM

This is somewhat off topic, I suppose, but it seemed a good place to
ask this question. I'm looking for a small program that works with
WinXP Home to save screen shots. I just switched to XP from Win98,
which had PhotoEditor that I used for this purpose. Unfortunately,
PhotoEditor won't work with XP. I want to avoid having to open
ThumbsPlus every time I make a screen shot. Possibly there's no
problem, as XP seems to handle memory a lot better than Win98 did.
This new computer has less RAM than the old one, but opening TP if I
had any other programs open always slowed things down a lot. And I
always seem to have several programs open. Any suggestions for a
small program to fill this need?

Thanks,

Emily

More about : program

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 10:42:51 PM

emily@nospam.com wrote:
> This is somewhat off topic, I suppose, but it seemed a good place to
> ask this question. I'm looking for a small program that works with
> WinXP Home to save screen shots. I just switched to XP from Win98,
> which had PhotoEditor that I used for this purpose. Unfortunately,
> PhotoEditor won't work with XP. I want to avoid having to open
> ThumbsPlus every time I make a screen shot. Possibly there's no
> problem, as XP seems to handle memory a lot better than Win98 did.
> This new computer has less RAM than the old one, but opening TP if I
> had any other programs open always slowed things down a lot. And I
> always seem to have several programs open. Any suggestions for a
> small program to fill this need?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Emily

Download Irfanview from www.irfanview.com. It will handle those screen
images neatly, and it is free. Loads instantly.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
January 25, 2005 10:42:52 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Download Irfanview from www.irfanview.com. It will handle those screen
> images neatly, and it is free. Loads instantly.

Super lightweight as requested. The only pain is changing the file type
from bmp to gif/jpeg *every* time. Open a file with it in your working
directory, paste, crop & ctl-s to save in that directory. Hit the escape
key to dismiss.
Related resources
January 26, 2005 1:28:55 AM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:24:39 -0500, emily@nospam.com,
<news:0hhdv01p3pd21v70an4rf669odpbarbt0s@4ax.com> wrote this:

> This is somewhat off topic, I suppose, but it seemed a good place to
> ask this question. I'm looking for a small program that works with
> WinXP Home to save screen shots. I just switched to XP from Win98,
> which had PhotoEditor that I used for this purpose. Unfortunately,
> PhotoEditor won't work with XP. I want to avoid having to open
> ThumbsPlus every time I make a screen shot. Possibly there's no
> problem, as XP seems to handle memory a lot better than Win98 did.
> This new computer has less RAM than the old one, but opening TP if I
> had any other programs open always slowed things down a lot. And I
> always seem to have several programs open. Any suggestions for a
> small program to fill this need?

This may be what you need...

http://www.gadwin.com/
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:28:56 AM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:28:55 +0000, Graham <fensman@gmx.invalid>
wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:24:39 -0500, emily@nospam.com,
><news:0hhdv01p3pd21v70an4rf669odpbarbt0s@4ax.com> wrote this:
>
>> This is somewhat off topic, I suppose, but it seemed a good place to
>> ask this question. I'm looking for a small program that works with
>> WinXP Home to save screen shots. I just switched to XP from Win98,
>> which had PhotoEditor that I used for this purpose. Unfortunately,
>> PhotoEditor won't work with XP. I want to avoid having to open
>> ThumbsPlus every time I make a screen shot. Possibly there's no
>> problem, as XP seems to handle memory a lot better than Win98 did.
>> This new computer has less RAM than the old one, but opening TP if I
>> had any other programs open always slowed things down a lot. And I
>> always seem to have several programs open. Any suggestions for a
>> small program to fill this need?
>
>This may be what you need...
>
>http://www.gadwin.com/

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but it lacked one vital
element -- the ability to crop the image. Any other suggestions?

Emily
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:28:56 AM

http://faststone.org/
FastStone Screen Capture
Loads quickly, has an easy Rectangular format plus freehand and other
choices. I've tried others including MWsnap3 (which I have kept) but the FS
Screen Capture is fast and easy.
Rose
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:28:57 AM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:20:43 -0500, "RoseW" <wdmn@NShurontel.on.ca>
wrote:

>http://faststone.org/
>FastStone Screen Capture
>Loads quickly, has an easy Rectangular format plus freehand and other
>choices. I've tried others including MWsnap3 (which I have kept) but the FS
>Screen Capture is fast and easy.
>Rose

Thanks. I will check it out.

Emily
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 2:55:41 AM

emily@nospam.com wrote:
> This is somewhat off topic, I suppose, but it seemed a good place to
> ask this question. I'm looking for a small program that works with
> WinXP Home to save screen shots. I just switched to XP from Win98,
> which had PhotoEditor that I used for this purpose. Unfortunately,
> PhotoEditor won't work with XP. I want to avoid having to open
> ThumbsPlus every time I make a screen shot. Possibly there's no
> problem, as XP seems to handle memory a lot better than Win98 did.
> This new computer has less RAM than the old one, but opening TP if I
> had any other programs open always slowed things down a lot. And I
> always seem to have several programs open. Any suggestions for a
> small program to fill this need?

Personally, I just use the PRTSCRN key (for a full-screen capture) or the
ALT-PRTSCRN combo (for capturing the active window) and paste the results
into the Windows Paint accessory, crop from there and then save as a BMP
file.

Is there something your screen capture program does that you can't
duplicate with that process?

--Paul
** Note "removemunged" in email address and remove to reply. **
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 2:55:42 AM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:55:41 +0000 (UTC), Paul Wylie
<paul@teamwylie.removemunged.org> wrote:

>emily@nospam.com wrote:
>> This is somewhat off topic, I suppose, but it seemed a good place to
>> ask this question. I'm looking for a small program that works with
>> WinXP Home to save screen shots. I just switched to XP from Win98,
>> which had PhotoEditor that I used for this purpose. Unfortunately,
>> PhotoEditor won't work with XP. I want to avoid having to open
>> ThumbsPlus every time I make a screen shot. Possibly there's no
>> problem, as XP seems to handle memory a lot better than Win98 did.
>> This new computer has less RAM than the old one, but opening TP if I
>> had any other programs open always slowed things down a lot. And I
>> always seem to have several programs open. Any suggestions for a
>> small program to fill this need?
>
>Personally, I just use the PRTSCRN key (for a full-screen capture) or the
>ALT-PRTSCRN combo (for capturing the active window) and paste the results
>into the Windows Paint accessory, crop from there and then save as a BMP
>file.
>
>Is there something your screen capture program does that you can't
>duplicate with that process?
>
>--Paul
>** Note "removemunged" in email address and remove to reply. **

Well, now that you mention it, no. ;-) I really didn't think to try
Paint. I've never liked the program much so I always used PhotoEditor
or Screen Thief. PhotoEd was easier because I could use the Alt-print
screen combo and then paste with Ctrl-V. Screen Thief worked well,
but took a few more keystrokes.

Did earlier version of Paint allow you to save in different formats?
My memory seems to be that only .bmp was available, and I've never
liked .bmp much because of the size of the files. Maybe I have it
confused with some other program.

Anyway, now that you've reminded me that Paint exists, I find it will
do OK for my purposes.

Thanks,

Emily
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 6:17:18 AM

emily@nospam.com wrote in news:0hhdv01p3pd21v70an4rf669odpbarbt0s@
4ax.com:

http://www.pmview.com/download.html

I've used PMView for many years. You can crop but you can also capture
only the part of the screen, or of a window, that you want. Shareware
with a 31 day trial (fully functional) period. Cost is $39.95

> This is somewhat off topic, I suppose, but it seemed a good place to
> ask this question. I'm looking for a small program that works with
> WinXP Home to save screen shots. I just switched to XP from Win98,
> which had PhotoEditor that I used for this purpose. Unfortunately,
> PhotoEditor won't work with XP. I want to avoid having to open
> ThumbsPlus every time I make a screen shot. Possibly there's no
> problem, as XP seems to handle memory a lot better than Win98 did.
> This new computer has less RAM than the old one, but opening TP if I
> had any other programs open always slowed things down a lot. And I
> always seem to have several programs open. Any suggestions for a
> small program to fill this need?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Emily

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 9:45:01 AM

Well, XP needs more memory than 98 to perform well right out of the box.

However, tried pressing "print screen" and pasting the shot into your fave
image editor?
--
Marada Shra'drakaii
Anonymous

>> I'm looking for a small program that works with
>>WinXP Home to save screen shots
I use Paint Shop Pro for this purpose, but it could be overkill if that's
all you want it for.

Keith
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 12:57:37 PM

Keith Sheppard wrote:
>>>I'm looking for a small program that works with
>>>WinXP Home to save screen shots
>
> I use Paint Shop Pro for this purpose, but it could be overkill if that's
> all you want it for.
>
> Keith

Yes, that's using a sledge hammer to drive a thumbtack. Something like
Irfanview is much more suitable to the task, and will probably have the
picture saved long before you get PSP loaded.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:01:27 PM

>>Personally, I just use the PRTSCRN key (for a full-screen capture) or the
>>ALT-PRTSCRN combo (for capturing the active window)
I used to do this but Alt + PrintScreen stopped working when I installed XP.
I assumed it was either a security feature or a Microsoft screw-up.

Keith
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:01:28 PM

Keith Sheppard wrote:
>>>Personally, I just use the PRTSCRN key (for a full-screen capture) or the
>>>ALT-PRTSCRN combo (for capturing the active window)
>
> I used to do this but Alt + PrintScreen stopped working when I installed XP.
> I assumed it was either a security feature or a Microsoft screw-up.
>
> Keith

Just used the Alt/PRTSCRN to save just this active window. Worked
great. WinXP/SP2. Perhaps the screwup is on your end. Something like
a screensaver, or other program using the alt key for other purposes???

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:19:21 PM

emily@nospam.com wrote:

> This is somewhat off topic, I suppose, but it seemed a good place to
> ask this question. I'm looking for a small program that works with
> WinXP Home to save screen shots. I just switched to XP from Win98,
> which had PhotoEditor that I used for this purpose. Unfortunately,
> PhotoEditor won't work with XP. I want to avoid having to open
> ThumbsPlus every time I make a screen shot. Possibly there's no
> problem, as XP seems to handle memory a lot better than Win98 did.
> This new computer has less RAM than the old one, but opening TP if I
> had any other programs open always slowed things down a lot. And I
> always seem to have several programs open. Any suggestions for a
> small program to fill this need?

www.irfanview.com - an excellent, small, super-fast FREEWARE image
viewer/tweaker with full TWAIN/WDM import/capture/acquire support,
screen-capture functions built in, and handy thumbnail and slideshow
viewers.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:25:43 PM

Keith Sheppard wrote:
>>> Personally, I just use the PRTSCRN key (for a full-screen capture)
>>> or the ALT-PRTSCRN combo (for capturing the active window)
> I used to do this but Alt + PrintScreen stopped working when I
> installed XP. I assumed it was either a security feature or a
> Microsoft screw-up.
>
> Keith

Alt-PrintScreen works just fine under XP.

David
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:29:34 PM

<emily@nospam.com> wrote in message
> This is somewhat off topic, I suppose, but it seemed a good place to
> ask this question. I'm looking for a small program that works with
> WinXP Home to save screen shots. I just switched to XP from Win98,
> which had PhotoEditor that I used for this purpose. Unfortunately,
> PhotoEditor won't work with XP. I want to avoid having to open
> ThumbsPlus every time I make a screen shot. Possibly there's no
> problem, as XP seems to handle memory a lot better than Win98 did.
> This new computer has less RAM than the old one, but opening TP if I
> had any other programs open always slowed things down a lot. And I
> always seem to have several programs open. Any suggestions for a
> small program to fill this need?

Use Irfanview--it has a small footprint in memory. Capture a screen with
"printscrn" or a window with "alt-printscrn", alt-tab to Irfanview, Cntrl-V
to paste, mouse out the desired area, Cntrl-Y to crop, press "S" to Save As,
and "ESC" to exit. Very quick and efficient--I use it all the time.

If you don't want to keep Irfanview in memory, just put a shortcut icon on
your tool bar and it's only one click away to paste, crop, and save. I use
it all the time.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 2:15:29 PM

Paul H. wrote:
> <emily@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> This is somewhat off topic, I suppose, but it seemed a good place to
>> ask this question. I'm looking for a small program that works with
>> WinXP Home to save screen shots. I just switched to XP from Win98,
>> which had PhotoEditor that I used for this purpose. Unfortunately,
>> PhotoEditor won't work with XP. I want to avoid having to open
>> ThumbsPlus every time I make a screen shot. Possibly there's no
>> problem, as XP seems to handle memory a lot better than Win98 did.
>> This new computer has less RAM than the old one, but opening TP if I
>> had any other programs open always slowed things down a lot. And I
>> always seem to have several programs open. Any suggestions for a
>> small program to fill this need?
>>

> Use Irfanview--it has a small footprint in memory. Capture a screen
> with "printscrn" or a window with "alt-printscrn", alt-tab to
> Irfanview, Cntrl-V to paste, mouse out the desired area, Cntrl-Y to
> crop, press "S" to Save As, and "ESC" to exit. Very quick and
> efficient--I use it all the time.
>
> If you don't want to keep Irfanview in memory, just put a shortcut
> icon on your tool bar and it's only one click away to paste, crop,
> and save. I use it all the time.

I *knew* I had a program in this vein: HyperSnap
HyperSnap-DX ver. 4.31.01

"HyperSnap-DX 4 is a screen capture tool for
Windows. Captures screens from standard desktop
programs and hard-to-grab DirectX/Direct3D, 3Dfx
Voodoo and Glide mode games. HyperSnap-DX 4 even
snags frames from many DVD players and other video
software. The program can auto-scroll and
concurrently capture long web pages and other
documents, enabling it to grab more than is
visible on the screen. The program integrates
with the Windows clipboard, and has new painting
and editing features, too. Version 4.x contains
many new or improved features requested by our
users. These include improved handling of 3dfx 32
bit color mode screens, a completely new set of
color and image manipulation tools, improved
printing, tight integration with the Windows
system tray, new painting tools added to the
button palette, the ability to set the Windows
wallpaper, "send by e-mail" feature within the
program that lets you send captures across the
Internet, and a comprehensive help system that
provides context-sensitive "pop-up" help for
virtually every aspect of the program.

HyperSnap-DX ver. 4 is distributed on "try
before you buy" principle. If used without a
license, it will add Hyperionics stamp to images
that you capture or edit with it. To purchase a
license, visit our web site at
http://www.hyperionics.com"
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 2:37:01 PM

I love 'SnagIt' from www.techsmith.com. Very versatile and includes
capturing scrolling windows on the Internet etc and lots of options on how
to say, you can annotate and highlight from within the program and save
different profiles for the different tasks. Not free of course but I think
it is worth the money (about $US40.00, I think) for what it can do!

Regards,

Anne Logan

<emily@nospam.com> wrote in message
> This is somewhat off topic, I suppose, but it seemed a good place to
> ask this question. I'm looking for a small program that works with
> WinXP Home to save screen shots. I just switched to XP from Win98,
> which had PhotoEditor that I used for this purpose. Unfortunately,
> PhotoEditor won't work with XP. I want to avoid having to open
> ThumbsPlus every time I make a screen shot. Possibly there's no
> problem, as XP seems to handle memory a lot better than Win98 did.
> This new computer has less RAM than the old one, but opening TP if I
> had any other programs open always slowed things down a lot. And I
> always seem to have several programs open. Any suggestions for a
> small program to fill this need?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Emily

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 2:37:02 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:37:01 +1100, "Anne Logan"
<logana@connexus.net.au> wrote:

>I love 'SnagIt' from www.techsmith.com. Very versatile and includes
>capturing scrolling windows on the Internet etc and lots of options on how
>to say, you can annotate and highlight from within the program and save
>different profiles for the different tasks. Not free of course but I think
>it is worth the money (about $US40.00, I think) for what it can do!
>
>Regards,
>

>Anne Logan

Thanks for the suggestion. If there's a trial version, I will give it
a try.

Emily
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 3:03:17 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:41:44 -0600, Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net>
wrote:

>> I use Paint Shop Pro for this purpose, but it could be overkill if that's
>> all you want it for.
>>
>> Keith
>>

>Yes, that's using a sledge hammer to drive a thumbtack. Something like
>Irfanview is much more suitable to the task, and will probably have the
>picture saved long before you get PSP loaded.

Exactly. I have ThumbsPlus and PhotoShop (and PSP which came with the
computer but which I don't use) for any graphic manipulation. I just
want the quick, easy, and small program for screen shots. PhotoEditor
was perfect, which is probably why Microsoft left it out of XP. ;-/

I had been using Win98 for over five years and was in hopes that XP
would have some improvements in a few areas that I thought were clunky
and irritating. No such luck. Instead, they've added cute little
puppy dogs wagging their tails which makes Search for Files and
Folders slower than ever. I have to admit that it seems to handle RAM
a whole lot better than 98 did.

Emily
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 5:35:21 PM

paul wrote:
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>

>> Download Irfanview from www.irfanview.com. It will handle those
>> screen images neatly, and it is free. Loads instantly.
>

> Super lightweight as requested. The only pain is changing the file type
> from bmp to gif/jpeg *every* time. Open a file with it in your working
> directory, paste, crop & ctl-s to save in that directory. Hit the escape
> key to dismiss.

I have never had to do that. Perhaps you can set something in the
preferences. There are alOT of them to go through.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 5:37:05 PM

emily@nospam.com wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:41:44 -0600, Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net>
> wrote:

>>>I use Paint Shop Pro for this purpose, but it could be overkill if that's
>>>all you want it for.
>>>
>>>Keith
>>>

>>Yes, that's using a sledge hammer to drive a thumbtack. Something like
>>Irfanview is much more suitable to the task, and will probably have the
>>picture saved long before you get PSP loaded.
>

> Exactly. I have ThumbsPlus and PhotoShop (and PSP which came with the
> computer but which I don't use) for any graphic manipulation. I just
> want the quick, easy, and small program for screen shots. PhotoEditor
> was perfect, which is probably why Microsoft left it out of XP. ;-/
>
> I had been using Win98 for over five years and was in hopes that XP
> would have some improvements in a few areas that I thought were clunky
> and irritating. No such luck. Instead, they've added cute little
> puppy dogs wagging their tails which makes Search for Files and
> Folders slower than ever. I have to admit that it seems to handle RAM
> a whole lot better than 98 did.
>
> Emily

You can just right-click on the little dog and tell him to
'scram'.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:19:50 PM

>>Just used the Alt/PRTSCRN to save just this active window. Worked
>>great. WinXP/SP2. Perhaps the screwup is on your end. Something like
>>a screensaver, or other program using the alt key for other purposes???

Curiously it still doesn't work for me. I am using only the Windows XP
standard screensaver and the only software running when I tried Alt+Print
Screen was Microsoft Outlook. Other Alt key combinations (eg Alt+F4 to
close a window) work fine, it's only window capture that doesn't.

According to My Computer, Properties, I am running Microsoft Windows XP
Professional, Version 2002 (I presume that's the year, not the number of
attempts it took to get it right ;)

I wonder if there's any esoteric option I could inadvertently have set or
unset.

Keith
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:19:51 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:19:50 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Keith
Sheppard" <keith.sheppard@tesco.net> wrote:

>>>Just used the Alt/PRTSCRN to save just this active window. Worked
>>>great. WinXP/SP2. Perhaps the screwup is on your end. Something like
>>>a screensaver, or other program using the alt key for other purposes???
>
>Curiously it still doesn't work for me. I am using only the Windows XP
>standard screensaver and the only software running when I tried Alt+Print
>Screen was Microsoft Outlook. Other Alt key combinations (eg Alt+F4 to
>close a window) work fine, it's only window capture that doesn't.
>
>According to My Computer, Properties, I am running Microsoft Windows XP
>Professional, Version 2002 (I presume that's the year, not the number of
>attempts it took to get it right ;)

Printscreen copies the whole display to the clipboard, Alt+Printscreen
copies just the active window. Then just open Paint up and paste it,
then save it. You can use whatever graphics app you want, but Paint is
there in all versions of Windows.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:34:59 PM

Keith Sheppard wrote:

>>>Just used the Alt/PRTSCRN to save just this active window. Worked
>>>great. WinXP/SP2. Perhaps the screwup is on your end. Something like
>>>a screensaver, or other program using the alt key for other purposes???
>

> Curiously it still doesn't work for me. I am using only the Windows XP
> standard screensaver and the only software running when I tried Alt+Print
> Screen was Microsoft Outlook. Other Alt key combinations (eg Alt+F4 to
> close a window) work fine, it's only window capture that doesn't.
>
> According to My Computer, Properties, I am running Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional, Version 2002 (I presume that's the year, not the number of
> attempts it took to get it right ;)
>
> I wonder if there's any esoteric option I could inadvertently have set or
> unset.
>
> Keith

Hi...

Couple of thoughts for the OP, if I may?

Try shift-prtscrn, see if that works.

If not, check for keyboard loggers, I'd recommend spybot.

And failing all that, download a utility from cnet.com called
screenprint32 - freeware :)

Take care.

Ken
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:06:43 AM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:23:38 -0800, paul <paul@not.net> wrote:

>Ron Hunter wrote:
>>
>> Download Irfanview from www.irfanview.com. It will handle those screen
>> images neatly, and it is free. Loads instantly.
>

>Super lightweight as requested. The only pain is changing the file type
>from bmp to gif/jpeg *every* time. Open a file with it in your working
>directory, paste, crop & ctl-s to save in that directory. Hit the escape
>key to dismiss.

You can download IrfanView ShellExtension 1.02 from
http://www.baxbex.com/products.html and convert directly in
Windows Explorer..

--
regards
Vidar Grønvold

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:42:51 -0600, Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net>
wrote:

>emily@nospam.com wrote:
>> This is somewhat off topic, I suppose, but it seemed a good place to
>> ask this question. I'm looking for a small program that works with
>> WinXP Home to save screen shots. I just switched to XP from Win98,
>> which had PhotoEditor that I used for this purpose. Unfortunately,
>> PhotoEditor won't work with XP. I want to avoid having to open
>> ThumbsPlus every time I make a screen shot. Possibly there's no
>> problem, as XP seems to handle memory a lot better than Win98 did.
>> This new computer has less RAM than the old one, but opening TP if I
>> had any other programs open always slowed things down a lot. And I
>> always seem to have several programs open. Any suggestions for a
>> small program to fill this need?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Emily
>>
>Download Irfanview from www.irfanview.com. It will handle those screen
>images neatly, and it is free. Loads instantly.

Thanks. I did and it's perfect. Just what I was looking for.

Thanks again,

Emily
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:25:22 PM

>>Printscreen copies the whole display to the clipboard, Alt+Printscreen
>>copies just the active window.

Well, as I keep saying, I know Alt+PrintScreen is _supposed_ to copy the
active window but on my laptop it demonstrably fails to do so.

Keith
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:25:23 PM

Keith Sheppard wrote:
>>>Printscreen copies the whole display to the clipboard, Alt+Printscreen
>>>copies just the active window.
>

> Well, as I keep saying, I know Alt+PrintScreen is _supposed_ to copy the
> active window but on my laptop it demonstrably fails to do so.
>
> Keith

I would suspect some other program is intercepting this key combination...

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:30:55 PM

>>Couple of thoughts for the OP, if I may?
OP=? (sorry, feeling a bit dim this morning).

>>Try shift-prtscrn, see if that works.
Nope. Copies whole screen.

>>If not, check for keyboard loggers, I'd recommend spybot.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

>>And failing all that, download a utility from cnet.com called
>>screenprint32 - freeware :)
I wasn't the original poster and I do already have a method for capturing
windows - Paint Shop Pro does it. I just joined this conversation with the
observation that Alt+PrintScreen no longer worked on my machine and wondered
why. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Regards
Keith
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:30:56 PM

Keith Sheppard wrote:
>>>Couple of thoughts for the OP, if I may?
>
> OP=? (sorry, feeling a bit dim this morning).
>

>>>Try shift-prtscrn, see if that works.
>
> Nope. Copies whole screen.
>

>>>If not, check for keyboard loggers, I'd recommend spybot.
>
> Thanks, I'll look into it.
>

>>>And failing all that, download a utility from cnet.com called
>>>screenprint32 - freeware :)
>
> I wasn't the original poster and I do already have a method for capturing
> windows - Paint Shop Pro does it. I just joined this conversation with the
> observation that Alt+PrintScreen no longer worked on my machine and wondered
> why. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
>
> Regards
> Keith

Roughly in order of probability:

Other software intercepting key combo, or one of the keys. Keylogger,
screensaver switcher, macro program, etc.

Spyware or virus intrusion.

Configuration setting.

Conflicting software that runs in the background.

Unless being able to screenprint an active window is particularly
important to you, it probably isn't worth exploring beyond running a
good spyware checker.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:35:17 PM

>>> I use Paint Shop Pro for this purpose, but it could be overkill if
that's
>>> all you want it for.
>>>
>>> Keith
>>>

>>Yes, that's using a sledge hammer to drive a thumbtack. Something like
>>Irfanview is much more suitable to the task, and will probably have the
>>picture saved long before you get PSP loaded.

I did say it could be overkill, but I'm just using what I've already got.
No point in downloading something new if I've already got something that
does it anyway. I think I've got a very old version of PSP (vn 4.) which is
probably an advantage. It's not slow to load and does all the (few) things
I need it to do - and no, that doesn't include photo editing or organising -
I have other software for that.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:35:18 PM

Keith Sheppard wrote:

> that's

>>>Yes, that's using a sledge hammer to drive a thumbtack. Something like
>>>Irfanview is much more suitable to the task, and will probably have the
>>>picture saved long before you get PSP loaded.
>

> I did say it could be overkill, but I'm just using what I've already got.
> No point in downloading something new if I've already got something that
> does it anyway. I think I've got a very old version of PSP (vn 4.) which is
> probably an advantage. It's not slow to load and does all the (few) things
> I need it to do - and no, that doesn't include photo editing or organising -
> I have other software for that.

If it suits your needs, and doesn't take longer to load than you are
happy with, I see no reason to change, but if you want to explore other
alternatives, Irfanview is a good place to start.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:35:19 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:

>> that's

>> I did say it could be overkill, but I'm just using what I've already got.
>> No point in downloading something new if I've already got something that
>> does it anyway. I think I've got a very old version of PSP (vn 4.) which is
>> probably an advantage. It's not slow to load and does all the (few) things
>> I need it to do - and no, that doesn't include photo editing or organising -
>> I have other software for that.
>>

> If it suits your needs, and doesn't take longer to load than you are
> happy with, I see no reason to change, but if you want to explore other
> alternatives, Irfanview is a good place to start.

There is a great program that will allow you to copy, crop, save, email or print any
portion of any window. Check "PrintScreenWorks" at http://ajsystems.com/psw.html
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 7:17:06 PM

emily@nospam.com wrote:
[...]
> Did earlier version of Paint allow you to save in different formats?
> My memory seems to be that only .bmp was available, and I've never
> liked .bmp much because of the size of the files. Maybe I have it
> confused with some other program.

I don't recall. I've always just used the BMP file format as an
intermediary, and the file size has never really been a concern.

> Anyway, now that you've reminded me that Paint exists, I find it will
> do OK for my purposes.

> Thanks,

You're most welcome. Glad to be of help.

--Paul
** Note "removemunged" in email address and remove to reply. **
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 10:18:33 PM

emily@nospam.com wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:42:51 -0600, Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net>
> wrote:
>

>>emily@nospam.com wrote:
>>
>>>This is somewhat off topic, I suppose, but it seemed a good place to
>>>ask this question. I'm looking for a small program that works with
>>>WinXP Home to save screen shots. I just switched to XP from Win98,
>>>which had PhotoEditor that I used for this purpose. Unfortunately,
>>>PhotoEditor won't work with XP. I want to avoid having to open
>>>ThumbsPlus every time I make a screen shot. Possibly there's no
>>>problem, as XP seems to handle memory a lot better than Win98 did.
>>>This new computer has less RAM than the old one, but opening TP if I
>>>had any other programs open always slowed things down a lot. And I
>>>always seem to have several programs open. Any suggestions for a
>>>small program to fill this need?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Emily
>>>

>>Download Irfanview from www.irfanview.com. It will handle those screen
>>images neatly, and it is free. Loads instantly.
>

> Thanks. I did and it's perfect. Just what I was looking for.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Emily

Glad to help, Emily. Most peope find Irfanview to be a really great
program. Fast, small, light, and very powerful.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 10:19:35 PM

Paul Wylie wrote:
> emily@nospam.com wrote:
> [...]
>
>>Did earlier version of Paint allow you to save in different formats?
>>My memory seems to be that only .bmp was available, and I've never
>>liked .bmp much because of the size of the files. Maybe I have it
>>confused with some other program.
>

> I don't recall. I've always just used the BMP file format as an
> intermediary, and the file size has never really been a concern.
>

>>Anyway, now that you've reminded me that Paint exists, I find it will
>>do OK for my purposes.
>

>>Thanks,
>

> You're most welcome. Glad to be of help.
>
> --Paul
> ** Note "removemunged" in email address and remove to reply. **
BMP files for screens can be very large, compared to jpg file sizes. If
you have to upload them, it can be significant.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 7:18:59 PM

> BMP files for screens can be very large, compared to jpg file sizes. If
> you have to upload them, it can be significant.

Indeed, and for web pages requiring use of those screenshots, I generally
convert them to PNGs, because PNGs are losslessly compressed, as opposed
to JPGs which use lossy compression.

Of course, Windows Paint can't save PNGs, so I save as BMPs and use The
Gimp to convert from BMP to PNG.

!