undadawg

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Hi, i'm going to build a new rig this weekend and I would like to get some advice

Here are the specs i'm going for

CPU
- i7 2600k

MOBO
- Asus P8P67 Deluxe

RAM
- Corsair Dominator 1600 C9 8GB kit CMP8GX3M2A-1600C9 (4GBx2)

SSD
- Crucial C300 128GB

HDD
- WD black sata 3 1TB

Graphics Card
- Nvidia GTX 580 - (most probably going with asus but i'm too sure if there are any major differences b/w the manufacturers)

Power Supply
- Corsair HX850

DVD
- HP 24x litescribe dvd drive

Cooler
- no clue

Case
- Cooler Master 690 II Advanced

I'm confused as to which gtx 580 to get, in my local stores (Singapore) the Palit, Gigabyte, Asus, Leadtek, MSI etc brands are available. I normally tend to go with asus motherboards and graphics card so i think i will get the asus one but i'm open to anything really.

I'm also not sure what RAM to get. This was the cheapest 8GB kit that i could find on the pricelists of my local stores, other 8gb kits like the Patriot Sector 5, and OCZ kits were almost twice the price. Is this ram any good or should be investing more money in better quality RAM.

The HX850 seems to me like it should be enough to cover possible SLI of the gtx580 in the future which i plan to do once the prices of the cards go down. Should i go for the HX1000 or will a HX750/850 be sufficient?

Finally, I don't know which cpu cooler to get. From what i've read, any 1156 socket cooler will fit in the new 1155 sandy bridge socket so there should be plenty of choice avaibable. I plan on OC'ing my 2600k to the mid to high 4Ghz range. I know that the new 32nm ships run extremely cool and people are achieve high overlcocks with the stock fan; but here in Singapore, the ambient temps are extremely high so i'm pretty sure i will need an aftermarket cooler. I was thinking of getting something like the Noctua DH14, or would this be overkill?

My budget is pretty much at its limit with the current specs so i don't really see any room for any big upgrades. Also, i know alot of people recommend the coolermaster HAF cases but i personally don't like the design of them. I prefer simple, smaller cases like the cm 690.

Thanks for the help ! :)

Solution
1. Mobo - Even the EVO and the PRO versions are fine IMO, check the features again and see if the Deluxe offers any additional features that you need, then go with that board,...

2. RAM - Dominators are better than the ones you have listed, so you are getting a better deal,...

3. 850W would suffice for 580 SLI,... And ASUS or Gigabyte or MSI are fine, get the one cheaper with good warranty,...
But if the PC will mainly be used for gaming and you sure of overclocking, then you can get the Core i5 2500K instead and drop the 580 and with that money saved on those 2 places, you can get 2x GTX 570, even HD 6950/ 6970s would be good alternatives,...its your call though...

4. Cooler - Just make sure before buying if they are compatible...
1. Mobo - Even the EVO and the PRO versions are fine IMO, check the features again and see if the Deluxe offers any additional features that you need, then go with that board,...

2. RAM - Dominators are better than the ones you have listed, so you are getting a better deal,...

3. 850W would suffice for 580 SLI,... And ASUS or Gigabyte or MSI are fine, get the one cheaper with good warranty,...
But if the PC will mainly be used for gaming and you sure of overclocking, then you can get the Core i5 2500K instead and drop the 580 and with that money saved on those 2 places, you can get 2x GTX 570, even HD 6950/ 6970s would be good alternatives,...its your call though...

4. Cooler - Just make sure before buying if they are compatible, you can check out Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B, a very good cooler for the money, also CM Hyper 212+ would be good

Solution

undadawg

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

hey thanks for the reply, i was going for the deluxe because from what i have read that is best for overclocking from the whole series but i guess if the performance is the same i can cut down by going for the pro.

I'm confused about the RAM, I think you;re saying that the Corsair Dominator 1600 C9 8GB kit is the way to go. The rest seems all good, thanks for the help.

undadawg

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
sorry to bring this thread up but I have one more question and i didn't want to make a new thread :) So apparently every single 'k' i7 processor is sold out in Singapore and new shipments will only be arriving in February :( . I was planning on buying a i7 2600 (not unlocked) and using that temporarily and then purchasing the i7 2600k when it comes in stock. Would I run into any problems when I change my cpu? Would i have to reinstall my OS/drivers etc, or is it just plug and play??

Note: The i7 2600 will not be going to waste, i will be using it in another build for my dad's office.