Marvel controler

Oscoda

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Anyone car to reply to this problem. I have a sabertooth x58 with a Crucial M4 SSD 64 on this 6 Gig controler. I also have a WD 640 Gig 7200 RPM 64 cach on this controler. I have upgraded to latest drivers according to Asus web site and latest BIOS. I have not used the bata version for the Marvel controler listed on the web site.
Problem computer seems to run fine when using the SSD which is only the operting system. I have the HDD for everything else. Getting blue screens with applications on the other drive. I have had to reverify cach files from steam games. Western Digital diagnostics reports a pass on all test with this drive. However windows 7 scandisk can not complete without a crash.
I would expect your respons to be simply conect WD HDD to Sata II controler which is certainly a good check. But is there any advantage to jumpering the pins on the hard drive 5 & 6 and reverting to 3 Gb/s for stability and remaining on the marvel conrtroler?
Can I assume that the isue of blue screens is from the Marvel controler? I am begining to wonder about the hard drive but as I said WD diag reports all pass on the drive.
I have aslo seen the screen which reports that "Windows 7 is preparing security options" which ends with a reboot.

Thanks for any advice

Vidaar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
I had a similar issue on the p67 sabertooth. Was getting BSOD <page_fault_in_a_non_paged_area>.
I don't think your WD is the problem.
■I moved my SSD off of the marvel to the Intel port.
■ Made sure my firmware was updated to 0009.
■ I went into bios and made sure AHCI mode was on.
■ I also enabled "hot swapping" on the SSD (This also cleared up my problem coming out of sleep mode).

I don't know what the issue is with these marvel controllers but it seems like anyone who uses them is having BSOD issues. I hope this helps :)

Oscoda

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Thanks for the reaply. My SSD on the marvel 6 Gps has been runing ok (operating sytem installed only W7) . Instead of moving the SATA cable over to the Intel 3 Gps controler I jumpered pins 5&6 on the WD for 3Gps. No more blue screens or lock ups. Not runing at 6 Gps but it wasn't going to do so anyway on the Intel controler. I don't know what method would be more advantages but for now this seems to be the fix. Buy the way this is my third Sabertooth X58. First one lost sound, second one the marvel controler was completly useless wouldn't run anything.

Oscoda

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Actually no I can't really say that I do have a problem with sleep mode but I am not one to leave my computer on 24 /7. But the times when it does sleep I can't say it has been a problem but I am not running in AHCI mode. Have you revisited your BIOS setting for your sleep problems?