Sign in with
Your question

GPU overheating

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 7, 2010 6:40:51 PM

Hey guys,

A couple of years ago I bought an ATI 4850HD and it's served me well. Unfortunately, since I got my new monitor (1920x1200) my card is running way too hot and keeps turning my computer off when gaming. Right now, my card is idling at 80C. During gaming the temps rise pretty quickly to 105+, and it's usually only a matter of minutes before it reaches 110C and shuts down my computer.

It's frustrating because the framerates are fine. I've tried several things like lowering the graphic settings but even Bioshock on medium is too much. I've also tried lowering the clocks and manually increasing the fan to 100% to no avail. I've made sure there is good airflow in my case (infact taking the side casing off completely made it worse than having a second case fan there). I've tried removing as much dust as I can from the GPU, but it's difficult and it seems difficult to remove the heatsink and fan unit.

I am looking for some advice here. I'm quite happy with the quality of the card so do not wish to purchase a new one. What options do I have given I want to spend the smallest amount possible.

Should I try attack the card with a screwdriver and remove all the dust I can. Will I need to reapply thermal paste if I do this?

Could the problem be solved to some extent by applying new thermal paste anyway?

Could I whack on a cheap GPU cooler? I mean a really cheap one.

Cheers

More about : gpu overheating

November 7, 2010 7:13:57 PM

wozza35 said:
Hey guys,

A couple of years ago I bought an ATI 4850HD and it's served me well. Unfortunately, since I got my new monitor (1920x1200) my card is running way too hot and keeps turning my computer off when gaming. Right now, my card is idling at 80C. During gaming the temps rise pretty quickly to 105+, and it's usually only a matter of minutes before it reaches 110C and shuts down my computer.

It's frustrating because the framerates are fine. I've tried several things like lowering the graphic settings but even Bioshock on medium is too much. I've also tried lowering the clocks and manually increasing the fan to 100% to no avail. I've made sure there is good airflow in my case (infact taking the side casing off completely made it worse than having a second case fan there). I've tried removing as much dust as I can from the GPU, but it's difficult and it seems difficult to remove the heatsink and fan unit.

I am looking for some advice here. I'm quite happy with the quality of the card so do not wish to purchase a new one. What options do I have given I want to spend the smallest amount possible.

Should I try attack the card with a screwdriver and remove all the dust I can. Will I need to reapply thermal paste if I do this?

Could the problem be solved to some extent by applying new thermal paste anyway?

Could I whack on a cheap GPU cooler? I mean a really cheap one.

Cheers

Perhaps its a bit of an old card for that res... not sure. If you have the cash to throw around, see if you can get this : http://rover.ebay.co.uk/rover/1/710-67306-24966-0/2?mpr... not too expensive, good brand, zalman.
a c 125 U Graphics card
November 7, 2010 7:14:49 PM

Take the heatsink off, clean the heatsink and fan, remove the old thermal paste ( you'll need something like this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH... )

Re-apply thermal paste, I'd recommend buying some high quality thermal paste like MX-4 ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH... )

Re-assemble graphics card, temps should then be considerably lower. Also make sure you have good airflow in your case, make sure case fans are clean and any dust filters. Also make sure things like cables aren't restricting airflow.
!